Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there was no toilet in there. I doubt they'd put in all the equipment then rip it all out again a few weeks later to put some mops in it. :hmm:

Maybe the toilet's still in there but piled high with boxes?

I'm going to have to check it out next time I go there

I don't know, but thanks to Ramadan prayers there's nowhere to park.

I shall be following it up with the council to make sure they have the right permissions for the use of that building for a start. I don't appreciate commuters taking all the parking spaces during the day, and I don't really appreciate them taking up all the parking at night until gone 11pm either.

Shouldn't we have had a noticification of change of use from whatever it was before - a cafe?

I don't know, but thanks to Ramadan prayers there's nowhere to park.

I shall be following it up with the council to make sure they have the right permissions for the use of that building for a start. I don't appreciate commuters taking all the parking spaces during the day, and I don't really appreciate them taking up all the parking at night until gone 11pm either.

Shouldn't we have had a noticification of change of use from whatever it was before - a cafe?

I can't remember what it was. Wasn't it empty? Or was it that jerk chicken place?

No point moaning about parking spaces. Half of Brixton Hill has had to put up with that since Ruach and all the other churches opened up

Google Maps shows Tastee Snacks, Aayatiin Foundation and a closed looking unit next to the hi-fi shop. I can't quite place which unit it's in from memory.

Seems the Aayatiin Foundation are responsible as they are listed under the "Mosques and Islamic Faith organisations" on the Lambeth website under 'Somali Education Forum/Aayatiin Foundation'.

Would have been nice to have put objections in before it opened as a mosque, assuming of course they actually asked permission to open it in the first place.

Google Maps shows Tastee Snacks, Aayatiin Foundation and a closed looking unit next to the hi-fi shop. I can't quite place which unit it's in from memory.

Seems the Aayatiin Foundation are responsible as they are listed under the "Mosques and Islamic Faith organisations" on the Lambeth website under 'Somali Education Forum/Aayatiin Foundation'.

Would have been nice to have put objections in before it opened as a mosque, assuming of course they actually asked permission to open it in the first place.

Tastee Snacks is 1D NPR. Aayatiin was 1C. Having searched for the mosque, it would seem that that is 1C. Aayatiin have gone, unless they've renamed themselves. If you do a street view on google maps, you'll see what Aayatiin looks like. It doesn't look like that now. It now has a green exterior.

In fact, you can still see the old signage for the record shop before Aayatiin took it over and didn't even paint over the old sign!

When did a mosque appear in NPR? Has it been there long and I've just missed it or is it new? :hmm:

I live right by there, it seems to have been used as a mosque for at least a few months, but they have been gradually working in the 'tasty snax' section and i think only recently made use of that part.....only just been painted green too!
Has been really busy lately and people seem to like hanging out on my doorstep, maybe they are keeping guard for me! Probably wont be as busy after Ramadan. Think it is Aayatiin foundation (get their post accidentally sometimes).

I saw a bus driver on Brixton Hill ram a car on Saturday that had pulled out in front of him presumably to discuss a bump or something.

Was that the one outside Paulo'z? I saw loaaads of note taking from witnesses.

So what happened?

I live on New Park Road and I'm really happy with the mosque being there. They're gradually sprucing up a run down bit of the street and are considerate neighbours. And now it's Ramadan there's a really nice atmophere in the evening when everyone comes together for iftar :cool:

Pleasant evening out in Granville Arcade tonight (Thursday). Decent fish curry (mussels, prawns, bit of squid, bit of tialapia in there too I think) and rice in Etta's Kitchen. Good crabcake starter.

Lots of Hoxtonian looking yoof drinking cans and smoking fags looking slightly pleased with themselves, standing around listening to indie disco (LCD soundsystem et al) but then that's presumably what earlytwentysomethings do these days.

Was that the one outside Paulo'z? I saw loaaads of note taking from witnesses.

So what happened?

Didn't see it from the outset. What I did see was a guy drive out in front of a bus that was stopped at a traffic light. Then he and another guy got out and started yelling at the driver. They looked angry but not threatening and there were loads of people around. Then the driver either lost the plot and rammed the car or tried to get round it and bumped it, probably the latter. There was a woman in the car so pretty stupid and reckless. Then the cops and ambulances etc. started to arrive and I left.

I live on New Park Road and I'm really happy with the mosque being there. They're gradually sprucing up a run down bit of the street and are considerate neighbours. And now it's Ramadan there's a really nice atmophere in the evening when everyone comes together for iftar :cool:

... unless you happen to want to try and park somewhere - and you can't because of them.

The Aayatin Foundation is listed - as is the Somali Education Forum - but not a mosque. So, it does seem it's there without any planning permission.

Yes, but they're listed under Mosques and Islamic Faith Organisations.

I suppose they may have been vague when they told Lambeth what plans they had for the future

THere's an absolutely beautiful flower bed at the far end of the walled garden in Brockwell park. Really.
It's got very tall and unusual plants and the design is inspired. Some special project I think.
Go see it if you haven't already!!

Hardly anyone I see going there arrives in a car. But don't let the truth get in the way of your whinging.

So where else are all the occupants of the cars currently clogging that end of New Park Road going - and have been every night for a while?

Normally in my road, of an evening I can count 4 or 5 spaces. There isn't one for me at the moment, let alone a spare one.

So where else are all the occupants of the cars currently clogging that end of New Park Road going - and have been every night for a while?

Normally in my road, of an evening I can count 4 or 5 spaces. There isn't one for me at the moment, let alone a spare one.

Don't know (and frankly I don't care) but as I said hardly anyone going to the mosque arrives by car, so you'll have to find someone else to blame.

Now you know how the residents of the rest of Brixton Hill feel every time a new church crops up

Somehow I have a feeling that christians parking their cars all over the place isn't going to annoy ajdown as much as muslims doing exactly the same. I wonder why that would be?

Somehow I have a feeling that christians parking their cars all over the place isn't going to annoy ajdown as much as muslims doing exactly the same. I wonder why that would be?

:D:D

Maybe they'll stick up some loudspeakers for morning prayer calls just so he can wake up and put some ear plugs in

Actually it would, as there's enough problems with parking without some other large organisation trying to take over what's left - and even the council's supposed solution of parking permits wouldn't work either because it's normally only Monday-Friday 9-5 that the permits are in operation.

It shouldn't be too much to ask to be able to park your car within 100 metres of your front door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom