Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge traffic screen thing at the corner of Brixton Water Lane and Brixton Hill declaring "kerbcrawlers will be prosecuted".. has that been there long?

I thought there were fire fighters on this thread!!! *shakes fist*
Luckily I saved that picture of 3 of them to desktop. *cool*

Are you sure they are those buildings? Have you not seen my posts?

I think the original picture from Lambeth archives is definitely of New Park Road on the other side of Streatham Place (the bit that runs from Streatham Place towards Tooting Bec) but the houses that miss minnie found a picture definitely look the same. Therefore I decree that the same style of house probably went right down the street, ie on both sides of Streatham Place.

I'm talking about this picture. In this picture it says these houses were replaced with 3 sets of flats. All the flats that replaced these houses which were demolished are located on the other side of Streatham Place.

03787.jpg

i can only see a picture of some houses which look very much like the ones in the pic boohoo posted. i suppose there were a lot of similar houses on new park road so it could be anywhere on that side of the street. does new park road continue over the A205 then?

Yes, and I'm saying that those are clearly NOT the exact same houses that miss minnie posted a picture of, but the houses in her picture are exactly the same style and were almost certainly built by the same developer at the same time, and (it looks to me like) that that style of house went right down the street - either side of Streatham Place. Does that make sense?

ETA That was in reply to MtM's post.

Yes. I should have made clearer that nos 67 and 69 [in boohoo's picture] have been shops since shortly after they were built - and there are no shops in the 1950s picture from Lambeth Landmark.

Lambeth Statutory List of Buildings of Historic Interest said:
NEW PARK ROAD SW2 (South-East Side)
Nos 67 and 69

DESCRIPTION
Early-mid C19 small pair, each two storeys, one window. Stucco with incised lines; low pitched hipped
slate roof. Sash windows, No 67 with glazing bars. No 67 also has original shop front; canted oriel
shop window with fascia and dentil cornice continuing over door with reeded pilasters and head, low
rectangular fanlight; glazing original. Later shop to No 69.

Listing NGR: TQ3024873710

i can only see a picture of some houses which look very much like the ones in the pic boohoo posted. i suppose there were a lot of similar houses on new park road so it could be anywhere on that side of the street. does new park road continue over the A205 then?

Yes. The houses in the picture posted by Brix were demolished and replaced by Arkwright House, Brindley House and Parsons House which are on the other side of the Streatham Place side.

So even though the houses in the picture aren't the houses in New Park Road on this side of Streatham Place, it's possible, if all the houses in the whole of New Park Road were built the same time, that they all looked similar and it's therefore easy to see why they could be mistaken for houses that are currently still standing

it's therefore easy to see why they could be mistaken for houses that are currently still standing

Just to be clear - I didn't think they were the same houses because I knew from the caption on the Lambeth Archive picture that those houses were on the other (i.e. west side of NPR). My exclamation of surprise was because the ones in miss minnie's picture are buildings I pass all the time, yet the 'Shop for Jobs' one has been messed about with to such an extent it took seeing the pictures side-by-side for me to realise that they were exactly the same (style) as the cottages in the picture I posted.

are they on the brixton side? is streatham place the A205?

The ones in the picture I posted were on the other side of the south circular (is that the A205?), i.e. not the Brixton Hill end, but the bit of NPR that goes towards Tooting Bec. The shops in mis minnie's pic still exist and are close to The Hand in Hand pub.

i'm confused. so those old pictures aren't even in brixton?

Technically? No. But the location of the old picture is 5 minutes from where I live on NPR. I'm at the Brixton Hill end. Those houses were further down NPR over the other side of Streatham Place/South Circular. I would say Brixton ends at the South Circular - so they're just outside of (what I would class as) Brixton...

i didn't even know that was new park road. in my internal map, all there is south of the a205 is a legend exclaiming 'here be dragons'

i didn't even know that was new park road. in my internal map, all there is south of the a205 is a legend exclaiming 'here be dragons'

Yes, I know what you mean! But actually NPR runs a long way - almost down to Tooting Bec. Not that my bit of elastic stretches that far...

are they on the brixton side? is streatham place the A205?

No, the pictures of the row of semis is in New Park Road but on the Streatham side of the A205, not the Brixton side.

Right, you know where the side entrance to the Crown and Sceptre is yes? That entrance is on Streatham Place and Streatham Place continues down to New Park Road.

Meanwhile, New Park ROad doesn't stop where you assume it stops (ie. a little way past the Hand in Hand), it continues over the other side of Streatham Place.

Yes, the A205 (although I had to look that up as I don't know the names of A roads except the A23).

Just to be clear - I didn't think they were the same houses because I knew from the caption on the Lambeth Archive picture that those houses were on the other (i.e. west side of NPR). My exclamation of surprise was because the ones in miss minnie's picture are buildings I pass all the time, yet the 'Shop for Jobs' one has been messed about with to such an extent it took seeing the pictures side-by-side for me to realise that they were exactly the same (style) as the cottages in the picture I posted.

It's irrelevant. You've caused lots of confusion so you may as well have :p

Why are you posting pictures of Streatham Houses in a Brixton thread!!!! :D

For the purposes of this thread, NPR stops at Tesco Express/Streatham Place :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom