Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything to do with the "Motorbikes can use bus lanes on the A23" experiment I wonder?

There was definitely more when that happened although I'm sure that was denied.

I've lived on Brixton Hill since 1985 and have never seen so many accidents involving bikes.

Having had a quick trawl through this thread, I have found the following accidents on Brixton Hill. I think nearly all of them involved motorbikes.

26/6/08 - Accident on Brixton Hill

20/2//2009 - Person hit by van near Lambert Road

1/10/09 - Car and bike opposite Rush Common (near Olive Morris House)

7/10/09 - Brixton Water Lane

19/09/09 - Near Sudbourne Road

17/11/09 - Accident near St Matthew’s Church

21/12/09 - Accident outside Paulo’z Way

14/02/10 - Crash outside Tile Magic

6/07/10 - Waterworks Road

Found this:

On the 24 July 2010 a new Motorcycles in Bus Lanes experimental scheme on the majority of the Capital's 'red route' bus lanes started.

The new 18 month scheme has been set up after an independent report into the initial motorcycles in bus lanes trial found that motorcyclists' journey times improved but increased the risk of collision with cars and vans.

also found this from the report:

The rate at which motorcyclists were involved in collisions on the Main sites
increased by 33.0% and decreased by 50.7% on the Control sites. This suggests
that overall the main sites had a higher collision risk for motorcycles due to the use
of bus lanes

I'm guessing the reason most of them seem to be on the west (aka wrong) side of the Hill might just be to do with the fact that they are likely to be going faster downhill than uphill.

That report doesn't seem to suggest the scheme has been terribly succesful does it. Hard to see why they are continuing it with statistics like that.

I very nearly hit a cyclist turning into Lambert Road yesterday. Inches away. I was going about 10mph in my van and this Susan Boyle lookalikey was riding up the pavement on her happy shopper bike and rode across Lambert Rd without looking. It's usually pedestrians with earphones in that you need to watch out for there but that was so close.

By the way some stupid fucker shooting the lights uphill at Blenheim Gardens is going to going to get offed by a car coming out of Fairmount Road some of these days. Come to think of it I've seen a couple of close shaves with cyclists coming downhill on the west side too.

I'm guessing the reason most of them seem to be on the west (aka wrong) side of the Hill might just be to do with the fact that they are likely to be going faster downhill than uphill.

That report doesn't seem to suggest the scheme has been terribly succesful does it. Hard to see why they are continuing it with statistics like that.

I just picked the bit of the report that appealed to me. Quite frankly, I was buggered if I was going to read over 150 pages!

The guys at Federation Coffee made my order twice today in an attempt to get what I wanted just right. It was very nice of them if slightly embarrassing to be ordering a coffee off menu!

"Hitch up skirt and piss in the street" drunk lady was sitting on the steps of the Academy as we came past on the bus a little while ago. Haven't seen her about for a while.

I can confirm that Asphar hairdressers are definitely moving into that new premises a few doors along as I noted the telephone numbers on both properties

The guys at Federation Coffee made my order twice today in an attempt to get what I wanted just right. It was very nice of them if slightly embarrassing to be ordering a coffee off menu!

Oh come on, you've got to tell use what it was you ordered :mad:

Oh come on, you've got to tell use what it was you ordered :mad:

Nothing that special. I just wanted a macchiato style coffee but something bigger as I was having one of their biscuits and wanted to dunk it. Everything they give me when I say this is too milky but after a long conversation about dunking biscuits and froth, we got there.

They've got a guy who's working there for free for a week just so he can learn their pro way of making coffee! You know it's a good coffee shop by the time and effort they take to make the coffee and the fact that they're always cleaning the machine. Best coffee in London, I reckon.

I get cravings for their coffee. I have one right now, it was the thought of dunking a biscuit in one that's tipped me over the edge....
It's exceedingly good coffee.

Yeah me too, I always make a point of satisfying my cravings :)
You mean the friands? I'm not so keen on them but the bus hits are consistently delicious

I'll be there later. And that blueberry cake...mmm.... dribble....

Does that place do proper black coffee (I believe Americano is the term de boutique cafe) or is it all that nonsense as described above? I love coffee but I can't bear any additives like milk and sugar.

Does that place do proper black coffee (I believe Americano is the term de boutique cafe) or is it all that nonsense as described above? I love coffee but I can't bear any additives like milk and sugar.

they will do you any sort of coffee you like and you are welcome to have either espresso or filter versions of the pure, black coffee your snobbish palate demands :p. The coffee will still be dreamy. The only thing you will miss is the delicate art-in-foam they do on the top of the "nonsense" versions.

they will do you any sort of coffee you like and you are welcome to have either espresso or filter versions of the pure, black coffee your snobbish palate demands :p. The coffee will still be dreamy. The only thing you will miss is the delicate art-in-foam they do on the top of the "nonsense" versions.

Cool, so the barista or whatever the term is, will not sneer if I don't want him to fuck with my addiction;)

Lovely rainbow over Brixton Hill at the moment.

rainbow.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom