Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got Chick King in my head. I can see the awful round new signs and the pensioners special poster, but not the main one in my mind's eye.

Anyway, if you can persaude them to cook fresh fish for you then I'd recommend. Was pleasantly surprised when they took on fish and chips.

Better than the place down Brixton Hill anyway - went in there a few Fridays back and went straight out again. The place looked untouched by fish-buying customers for many an hour and even managed to be empty at peak time on Friday!

It's inocuous though, innit.

I think I've only been in Carpetright once in the last umpteen years, but apart from the red blockiness of the awful design, it doesn't exactly clog up the area with its customers or parking.

Occasionally they half heartedly stick out a few baloons and sale signs, but you could almost fail to notice that it's there. It'd be daft to see it replaced by something bringing more traffic and hold ups to an already often clogged road

Not enough car parking space for it to be an Aldi or whatever even if they rip down the Mr Tile bit at the side.

Better than the place down Brixton Hill anyway - went in there a few Fridays back and went straight out again. The place looked untouched by fish-buying customers for many an hour and even managed to be empty at peak time on Friday!
Was thinking of a cheeky chippy tonight, so I might give it a go :)

Nobody ever gets so confused so as to place derelict Jack Stamps within the Brixton boundaries though.

It's past Streatham Hill Station and bus depot for a start

:p

It's in the old Chicken Chalet premises.

Having looked at the pictures, I recognise it now.

Looks ok, if a tad pricey compared to my local Chinese but nice to see they have a Thai menu as well.

Shall have to try it out later in the week.

Excellent news that Brixton has one less cardboard chicken place though :D

Yeah, but most convenient one on the way back from pub :oops:

Besides, what else is there on the Hill. I won't use that Mansion House or whatever it's now called. Wing Hing in Moorish Road used to be really good but that's long gone.

I think the Brixton Posties must be having a tough/lazy time of it at the moment. Just had a massive pile of letters drop through the door in one go. Oldest one dated the 13th of May and one from a 'scary debt collection agency' who were clueless bullies on the phone :)

Apparently the guy in "Cornners", the little shop on New Park Road, got stabbed this afternoon in a robbery. Copper in attendance and area taped off, with blood on the pavement and shop floor.

God, hope he's ok. i'm often amazed at the amount of shit our local shopkeepers put up with - so many many times i've seen them being shouted at, abused, threatened etc for no reason at all.... not to mention the time they petrol bombed the newsagents... :eek:

hope the guy is ok... or at least as ok as can be expected..

Apparently he's home and should be back at work in a couple of weeks.

I also heard today that they got held up at gunpoint a couple of weeks ago, another shop along New Park Road got robbed last week, and you might remember a shooting near the bus stop on the hill by the Telegraph a few weeks before that. It seems there is a connection and some scumbags are 'doing the rounds'.

Apparently all they want is cash, not cigarettes or booze.

Federation Coffee are having a food and coffee tasting event this saturday from 12 o'clock, nomnomnom. I like that place :cool:

Does anyone know what the deal is with community wardens?. I saw a couple of them being nosy in herne hill today. Dressed like cops but with red epaulettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom