Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British mustard varieties of yore

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
In the 1970s, our cupboard at home and indeed most cafes offered a variety of mustards.

English: yellow, hot.
French: paler, mild.
German: brown, and I think it was between the other two in heat.
English Mustard powder in a tin, for cooking.

I have no doubt the French and German mustards were inauthentic. And grainy mustard was unheard of, certainly in my family.

You never see this ersatz German mustard now, and French mustard is now more authentic seeming Dijon.

I need to know the history of this quaint British conceit of yore. Spill.

This is a pressing matter.

Missing the Tewkesbury Mustard Waitrose used to stock.

Still have French Mustard, darker, milder and sweeter than Dijon.
Also there is grainy mustard.

We have Zemph mustard too.

We have 3 tins of colmans mustard powder. I don't know why.

Also Dijon smooth and grey poupon grainy.

I was just about to put English mustard on the shopping list but thanks to this thread we shall now be using up some powder. If we want that really poky we'll make.it up with vinegar instead of water

We had Meaux, but after they got rid of the wax sealed cork lid it wasn't the same.

Brussels put the kybosh on colmans french mustard and probably on their german mustard and American mustards too.

We need to get our faux foreign mustards back from the actual foreigners

Got some Austrian varieties off my uncle once. Rather nice they were. One with gherkin in that I particularly liked. It was a bit like American mustard, but nice.

I can never see 'Dijon' without thinking of the only French limerick anyone knows:

Il y avait un jeune homme de Dijon
Qui n’aimait du tout la religion.
Il dit: “Eh ma foi;
Je déteste tous les trois,
Le Père, et le Fils, et le Pigeon.“

(There once was a young man from Dijon,
Who'd no time at all for religion.
He said, 'As for me,
I detest them, all three:
The Father, the Son and the Pigeon.')

Carry on.

Colemans English (Jar) in the fridge, powder in the cupboard. Always.
I use the stuff in a jar almost daily in sandwiches and always shove a teaspoon full into any hot cheese dish, cauliflower cheese, rarebit, crock monsieur etc. The powder is now reserved for dusting a good beef joint before cooking, normally a huge rib at Christmas or mixing with vinegar as a base for home made mustard pickle.
Been wanting to try some Tewkesbury mustard for years now but never seeem to be able to get it.
My local Polish deli does some beer mustard thats quite nice on smoked sausage/ pork loin but nowhere near the heat of Colemans.

Missing the Tewkesbury Mustard Waitrose used to stock.

Still have French Mustard, darker, milder and sweeter than Dijon.
Also there is grainy mustard.

We have Zemph mustard too.
Senf is the German for mustard. As in 'Bratwurst mit Pomme frits bitte, ohne senf'.

Back
Top Bottom