Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Thread to Celebrate Mustard

Pff, enjoy your horseradish and mustard paste with green food colouring, this is wasabi:

View attachment 377034

I don't have any rhizomes on the go at the moment though. Well, I do, but it has ceased being photogenic.
I just had my wholegrain mustard and wasabi paste arrive. No issues with the grain. But just looked at the contents of the wasabi paste, just 5% wasabi, wtf! Growing wasabi, that's brilliant, go you.

Pff, enjoy your horseradish and mustard paste with green food colouring, this is wasabi:

View attachment 377034

I don't have any rhizomes on the go at the moment though. Well, I do, but it has ceased being photogenic.
Oh I wonder if we could grow that up here... Got an enormous patch of really spicy mustard greens ('Green Wave' I think) to get through at the moment that taste very similar, the heat gets right up your nose in that same way wasabi does.

Oh I wonder if we could grow that up here... Got an enormous patch of really spicy mustard greens ('Green Wave' I think) to get through at the moment that taste very similar, the heat gets right up your nose in that same way wasabi does.

Hmm... winters probably get too cold, mine have weathered down to -5c with snow, don't know if they'll manage lower than that. Maybe though.

I just had my wholegrain mustard and wasabi paste arrive. No issues with the grain. But just looked at the contents of the wasabi paste, just 5% wasabi, wtf! Growing wasabi, that's brilliant, go you.

Suspect it will probably get more common as more farms appear. It's pretty well suited to the uk, provided you can do well-draining soil, shade in the summer and lots of irrigation... But its aromatics are highly volatile, so it's not that easy to preserve. I mean it keeps fairly well as a rhizome (couple of weeks) because it's only the freshly grated surface that oxidises, but yeah - once you've released the flavours, they are fleeting.

Suspect it will probably get more common as more farms appear. It's pretty well suited to the uk, provided you can do well-draining soil, shade in the summer and lots of irrigation... But its aromatics are highly volatile, so it's not that easy to preserve. I mean it keeps fairly well as a rhizome (couple of weeks) because it's only the freshly grated surface that oxidises, but yeah - once you've released the flavours, they are fleeting.
Yeah I found the same with horseradish, tried adding it to fermented veg and it's just completely pointless (aside from nearly suffocating myself in the process of grating it :eek:)

And now I have to add growing wasabi to my list of garden stuff, saw it on Clarksons farm and they seemed to imply you needed basically a stream which I only get every 3-5 years when the fields above flood. Interesting as I just got the first small poly tunnel up.

Back
Top Bottom