Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Thread to Celebrate Mustard

Colemans out of the jar. Used to slather it on garlic salami sandwiches for school...both sides.
I got so used to it that it didnt pack a punch anymore.
I was on a pat testing course a coupla years ago & the sarnie wagon rocked up pappin it’s horn, so out we went to get lunch. I opted for a ham & mustard sandwich. Nearly fucking died eating it as he’d proper slathered it on & it was deffo made from powder :D

I was on a pat testing course a coupla years ago & the sarnie wagon rocked up pappin it’s horn, so out we went to get lunch. I opted for a ham & mustard sandwich. Nearly fucking died eating it as he’d proper slathered it on & it was deffo made from powder :D
Its great though isn't it?
The heat and then the tears...

🤣

It should be PA Testing rather than PAT Testing which is a tautology lol

For me I love the Colman's English mustard - it's the dog's bollocks. Proper hot. Always have some to hand!

Colman’s out of the jar is piss weak now - powder’s the way to go! I want a bite from my mustard!

I always used Colman's before but I tried Waitrose Own Brand. It's half the price and much hotter but a bit vinegary. I'll have to try their Own Brand Dijon and Wholegrain, also cheaper than others but with good customer reviews.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-29 22.31.24.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-29 22.31.24.png
    214.2 KB · Views: 4
We always have Coleman's, American squeezy mustard in a tube, English wholegrain and Dijon. It's the wholegrain that gets the most use, but all of them have their place.

Mustard is ridiculously easy to grow as a cut and crop again salad leaf (even in a tiny space), and the leaves are fantastic sprinkled on salad.

We always have Coleman's, American squeezy mustard in a tube, English wholegrain and Dijon. It's the wholegrain that gets the most use, but all of them have their place.

Mustard is ridiculously easy to grow as a cut and crop again salad leaf (even in a tiny space), and the leaves are fantastic sprinkled on salad.

I sprout it for egg mayonnaise sarnies, goes lovely with that.

Love a bit of english mustard on a ham and tomato sarnie/ roll, steak, sausages or a bit on the side of the plate with a roast. Goes well on roast parsnips, sprouts, cabbage and carrots.

Works with toasted cheese and onion sarnies too but just a scrape.

Yeah, I love the German sweet mustards. The branch of Yormas at Aachen Hbf stocks it and I always make a point of getting a bratwurst there specially.

Just Dijon and Coleman’s powder here as staples although I love German mustard, the one you get in jars you can re-use as glasses and also the sweet grainy one. I’ve whittled down what condiments and seasonings I keep to those that I regularly use, otherwise I end up with loads of old things that take up space. Mustard leaves are something I’ve never had before but been given lots of this year by friends who grow them and they are delicious and very mustardy

Colemans here too, I have tried other brands (cheaper and expensive) and the OH always decides he won't eat them, Colemans it is. I prefer wasabi on my sandwiches these days mind. I like the polish mustards as well, and a splash of dijon if I am having gherkins.

My mum will only eat the dark brown "French mustard" that only waitrose seem to sell these days, so every few months I have to trek and find some for her.

Coleman's powder and Dijon here too, though we normally have grain (adds to shopping list). We also like wasabi and horseradish. I think I need to top up the wasabi as well.

I like the powdered stuff in a tin, for convenience, too many open jars in the fridge make me anxious. At the moment I also have an open jar of Maille Dijon.
For many years I didn't eat ketchup and mustard was my go-to condiment. Now I love both.

Here's a memory: I was a vegetarian as a kid and our family stopped at a gas station for hot dogs. I asked for a hot dog without the sausage and the guy behind the counter couldn't understand what I wanted. So I told him that I wanted the bun, with the hole, and with ketchup/mustard in the hole, but no sausage. He thought I was nuts but I remember it being delicious.

I like the powdered stuff in a tin, for convenience, too many open jars in the fridge make me anxious. At the moment I also have an open jar of Maille Dijon.
For many years I didn't eat ketchup and mustard was my go-to condiment. Now I love both.

Here's a memory: I was a vegetarian as a kid and our family stopped at a gas station for hot dogs. I asked for a hot dog without the sausage and the guy behind the counter couldn't understand what I wanted. So I told him that I wanted the bun, with the hole, and with ketchup/mustard in the hole, but no sausage. He thought I was nuts but I remember it being delicious.
That sounds perfect! I often have sandwiches made just with condiments, like HP Sauce, ketchup, mustard or lime pickle. Or King of Condiments, Piccalilli!

I have spells when I use mustard a lot, at other times I don't touch it. Currently in the latter state, although this thread might change that !

Currently have an almost full jar of Colman's ready made & about half a tin of powder, plus a bit of horseradish mustard powder - that's lush, but tongue-burningly hot when fresh.
I had some Dijon and a small selection of other continental mustards in tiny jars - au unopened taster pack given as a present nearly 18mths ago.

Use mustard both as a condiment in meals / butties but also cook with it, inc adding it to mashed veg.

Note that my father always said 'Colman made his millions on what was left on the side of plates' ... as a result I'm fairly parsimonious when serving myself with condiments.

I'm definitely inspired to make some now. I'll have to find time to visit my local Indian supermarket for fresh seeds. The tiny spice blender should come in to it's own so I can make small batches.

My Dad used to tell me one of his jobs as child was to make mustard from powder for the Sunday roast? Is this still a thing? Does anyone do that?
I do it’s super hot more than Coleman’s blended.

Note that my father always said 'Colman made his millions on what was left on the side of plates' ... as a result I'm fairly parsimonious when serving myself with condiments.

Aye you can always go back to the jar for more if needed, better to underestimate and go in for round 2 halfway through, rather than waste money

That sounds perfect! I often have sandwiches made just with condiments, like HP Sauce, ketchup, mustard or lime pickle. Or King of Condiments, Piccalilli!

You know, I've always thought Piccalilli looked delicious and to this day have not tried it. I do need to give it a go! It would make a legit sandwich, it's got a lot of veggies.

Same here. Whenever I wash up after other people, the thing I dislike the most is rinsing mounds of condiments from the plates. It's not even about food waste so much, it's just...ick?

I was given one of these a while back which water down into a paste, although I've not tried much with it yet.

I pretty much always have a jar of English in the fridge, usually polish too.

Are we counting horseradish sauce? :hmm:
Fantastic, ball will be ordered; making mustard to own taste with wine beer etc. fantastic.
Mustard with horseradish...se gunpowder mustard.
Mrs Spy gets through an astonishing amount of Colmans English, so there's always a couple of jars in the cupboard. It's my favourite too but I'm also partial to Lowensenf medium, so there's always a jar of that around too. We've got some Dijon, but I'm not a fan of sour flavours so that gets used as a cooking ingredient rather than a condiment.
Is this to disguise the dodgy cooking?

Other mustards we have include grey and wholegrain dijon.

Colemans here too, I have tried other brands (cheaper and expensive) and the OH always decides he won't eat them, Colemans it is. I prefer wasabi on my sandwiches these days mind. I like the polish mustards as well, and a splash of dijon if I am having gherkins.

My mum will only eat the dark brown "French mustard" that only waitrose seem to sell these days, so every few months I have to trek and find some for her.

Coleman's powder and Dijon here too, though we normally have grain (adds to shopping list). We also like wasabi and horseradish. I think I need to top up the wasabi as well.

Pff, enjoy your horseradish and mustard paste with green food colouring, this is wasabi:

wasabi.jpg

I don't have any rhizomes on the go at the moment though. Well, I do, but it has ceased being photogenic.

Back
Top Bottom