Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Long-lasting appliances of yore

I’m quite pleased with the longevity of my Dyson DC16 battery powered vac, which has been basically in daily use since I got it as a Christmas present in 2008. I thought that was good going until I read this thread with your tales of 35 year old vacuums and 50 year old fridges.

It’s on probably its fifth battery pack at this point, but such are lithium rechargeable batteries, but the vac itself is going strong and seems not to slow down or become less effective. I’m sure it will die one day, but the £89.99 it cost in Dec 2008 has been more than repaid in usefulness by now.

View attachment 436794

interesting. dyson stuff often gets blasted, some of which is on account of dyson himself, but mostly on account of the appliances. glad it's working for you anyway.

interesting. dyson stuff often gets blasted, some of which is on account of dyson himself, but mostly on account of the appliances. glad it's working for you anyway.
If people dump them when the batteries die, they would only get 3-4 years max I suppose. The actual device is very solid IME.

My Nanna’s fridge lasted from the 50s to the mid noughties, only being replaced when the seal had gone but still working fine apart from that

I bought some electric hair clippers from Argos for about £8 in 1995 that I still use.
My £250 washing machine from Curry's that I bought around 2000 is still going strong. . . .I keep expecting it to pack up soon, but it just keeps going.
Argos hair clippers did my hair last week. Washing machine gave up the ghost last year.

Yeah. My very expensive Dyson, didn't last long after it's warrantee and was a nightmare to fix and clean with it's non standard screws, sealed motor bits in the heads and doggy connectors. Not going there again.

Impressive. What was the brand of the WMC?
You know what? I am really struggling to remember.
It was something quite common. Bosch I think. I got it from Curries. I'm pretty stoked with my new one though. Things have changed quite a lot since. Now they heat themselves up (rather than use the hot water pipe) and the drum sizes are all much much bigger as standard.
My new one can even even be remotely controlled by an app. . . . though I don't really see the point until someone invents an app to pick up the washing and put it in the machine.

My grandmother's old radio set lasted from the 60s until a few years ago when my sister chucked it out (after my mother died; my sister said she "forgot" that mom had said I could have it)

I'm still using a couple of Berghaus Cyclops rucksacks (a Crusader and a Roc, for the kit pests...) from the late 80's - I bought them second hand when I joined the army in 1992.

They've done 28 years of exercises, more than a dozen tours, and - most incredibly - survived contact with RAF movers.

It's a great pity to me that they are still better than the issued bergens - the PLCE Inf was as good, just more than a Kg heavier than the Crusader for the same size, while the new Virtus bergen is expensive, overly -complex, and fragile. The gossip is that Virtus is getting binned next year because of the quality control and production rate problems...
I’m currently driving around Ireland with a berghaus munro day sack which was bought in 1996 and has been thrashed around the world since😁

Manufactured 1990 week 18, according to serial number.

I'm cheating slightly as I got it off eBay boxed a few years ago to replace my previous one that had started to mis-register key presses

Attachments

• tempImageVbkoMB.png
    tempImageVbkoMB.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom