Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars and vans from 2040

Great news, just got to find the extra generating capacity to ensure there's enough to charge all these cars!

I was picking-up some stuff from a warehouse yesterday, and they were storing a whole load of Lidl branded charging points, in transit from the manufacturer to Lidl car-parks.

Hopefully by then they will have a range similar to petrol/diesel engines and charging will take minutes rather than hours.
There's some very interesting solid-state battery tech about to come to market. Promises to double the energy density compared to current lithium ion and can be charged almost as fast as you can cram the power in. The limiting factor is your power supply. The maximum you can reasonably expect to get out of a domestic connection is 10kW, so charging at home is always going to be an overnight affair. Rapid charging will have to be at dedicated locations, or you'll have to pay for an upgraded supply at home.

Thing with electric cars is everyone talks about availability of charging points. I would have thought the most important charging point is at home and down here (London) the vast majority of people park on the street, how does that work? Are the pavements going to be cluttered with charging points?

There's some very interesting solid-state battery tech about to come to market. Promises to double the energy density compared to current lithium ion and can be charged almost as fast as you can cram the power in. The limiting factor is your power supply. The maximum you can reasonably expect to get out of a domestic connection is 10kW, so charging at home is always going to be an overnight affair. Rapid charging will have to be at dedicated locations, or you'll have to pay for an upgraded supply at home.

Presumably you'll be able to pull in to a charging station like a current petrol station and get a hyper-rapid charge?

PV_solar_parking.jpg

Thing with electric cars is everyone talks about availability of charging points. I would have thought the most important charging point is at home and down here (London) the vast majority of people park on the street, how does that work? Are the pavements going to be cluttered with charging points?
Been thinking about this and wonder whether Councils could lease specific parking spots outside people's houses and have big induction chargers on the ground under the car.

Rapid charging can be done in under 30 minutes now, enough for 100-150 miles, and I heard something on the news the other day about that time is about to be halved. So, in a few years, it could be down to under 5 minutes, the technology seems to be moving very quick.

Rapid charging can be done in under 30 minutes now, enough for 100-150 miles, and I heard something on the news the other day about that time is about to be halved. So, in a few years, it could be down to under 5 minutes, the technology seems to be moving very quick.

But not at home seemingly. So the long term plan is basically to replace petrol stations with charging points? 15 minutes every 150 miles doesn't seem too bad to me.

ETA: Actually this is a bit anglo-centric. Its probably fine in the majority of UK but a shitter in large countries where a 10 hour drive through nowhere is quite normal.

But not at home seemingly. So the long term plan is basically to replace petrol stations with charging points? 15 minutes every 150 miles doesn't seem too bad to me.

ETA: Actually this is a bit anglo-centric. Its probably fine in the majority of UK but a shitter in large countries where a 10 hour drive through nowhere is quite normal.

The range will have to go up, a 15 minute break every 150 miles sounds OK, but most driving isn't long slogs, it's 5 miles there and 5 miles back and so on, that 150 miles will be up pretty quickly and you'll be stuck for 15 minutes whilst rushing for an appointment, train, flight etc.

In theory yes.

The cars will be self-driving by then anyway, so will go and charge themselves when they're not in use. Residential roads full of parked cars that go undriven 90% of the time will be a thing of the past.
Time to start up a business in cleaning cars between users. Car needs to self-report vomit, charge the account of the last person who hired it, then vom cleaners on the case. :thumbs:

It does smell of a holding move. Personally I can't wait for a robot car that I just sit and it carries me around - Ioathe driving. Not sure if it'll be ready for a complete ban in 20 years, althought if electric smart cars are good enough by then they won't need a ban.

What happened to swapping out empty batteries for charged ones at charging stations? I guess it would make cars poorly packaged as they'd need an accessible box to keep the batteries in, and of course the batteries would need to comply with a universal standard spec.

What happened to swapping out empty batteries for charged ones at charging stations? I guess it would make cars poorly packaged as they'd need an accessible box to keep the batteries in, and of course the batteries would need to comply with a universal standard spec.

Also that's a hell of a lot of batteries that would need producing and paying for.

If you can charge in 10 minutes, then faffing about with battery packs would seem pointless.

I cannot fucking wait. The convenience of owning a car is fantastic, but the cumulative effect of car ownership on cities is something this era will be scorned for. We don't notice it because it's everywhere, but we sure as hell will notice when it's gone.

Yup not to mention how expensive they are to run.

The future sounds good, my only reservation is these Tomorrow's World things have a strange way of not turning out how expected. That being said proliferation of self-driving cars does seem much more inevitable.

Back
Top Bottom