Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brian Paddick

no they didn't, no it wasn't, no they weren't the only ones (though I sdo feel desperately sorry for Mrs B, to this say), d I was there with editor so I should bloody know!

so was I. Afterwards I posted the following:

Call me old fashioned, but I think it's rather rude to bellow 'shutup' at a woman whose son has been killed. Her protest that the applause for Paddick was 'offensive' was shouted down.

Never having been in a pro-police rally before perhaps I shouldn't be shocked that protesters are shouted down. I have been in Brixton crowds before though, and would never have thought one would tell her that their Messiah was more important than her son.

She could have made her protest more effectively, of course, though I think she was taken by surprise by the ovation when BP arrived. Should she have kept quiet? How should a dissident black woman behave when a (predominantly) white liberal crowd goes into hero mode? Presumably with all due deference whilst taking care not to disrupt.

ancient thread

It's what came into my mind as I read the recent contributions to this thread.
To what end? Just to toss in a casual and unfocussed attempt at slurring Paddick by association?

As a card carrying union member, I'm certainly not impressed by his one comment thus far, but I fail to see the connection with his attitude towards unions and your selectively quoted post about the conduct of people who went to see him years ago.

Why do you want me to explain to you my motivation for making a post?

In any event, you might like to take a note of the post I quoted, which mentioned that meeting, and perhaps look at the subthread that led up to it. There are more conversations going on here than the one about unions.

It's what came into my mind as I read the recent contributions to this thread.

You know I'm not sure what value doing that has, other than to give credence to the Editors view about the current policy questions which have been put to Brian on the other thread...

You know I'm not sure what value doing that has, other than to give credence to the Editors view about the current policy questions which have been put to Brian on the other thread...
Exactly. How would you fancy trying to have a sensible discussion with someone about your current position if all they can do is try to damn you by dragging up random, selectively quoted - and frankly totally unrelated - posts from six years ago ?

Exactly. How would you fancy trying to have a sensible discussion with someone about your current position if all they can do is try to damn you by dragging up random, selectively quoted - and frankly totally unrelated - posts from six years ago ?

As you say Brian can pick and choose what he wants to engage with. So I can't see it being an issue tbh.

I pointed it out as much a remark on your prejudice toward those asking the questions as newbies wisdom in posting it.

As you say Brian can pick and choose what he wants to engage with. So I can't see it being an issue tbh.

I pointed it out as much a remark on your prejudice toward those asking the questions as newbies wisdom in posting it.
What "prejudice" please? Have you read the rest of the thread he linked to? Perhaps you should before accusing others of prejudice.

Oh, and to repeat: posters are under no obligation to answer questions about their personal life here, and it starts to look like harassment if people follow them around the boards, demanding answers.

Same rule applies to everyone.

I'm not going to get into this again because it's futile but one last comment; Brian's personal life is not in question it's his very public life we're discussing.

who do you think I am trying to 'damn'?

KE- wisdom, not me mate, you're thinking of someone else :)

Oh! Is this any better?

I have to say the Anti-Americanism on this boards is very unsettling. :D :D ;)
Quite. Let's redress the balance, eh ...

Q) What's the difference between the Yanks and the Ozzies?
A) The Yanks had the sense to leave before they were forcibly deported.

An alternative view on Brian here. I wonder what the other side of this story is?

Two young men were subject to the stop-and-search procedure as they rushed to hospital to attend a birth. With his girlfriend in the process of giving birth, the father-to-be was naturally hesitant about being kept for too long. The incident escalated and one of the young men was CS-gassed and then handcuffed and later charged with assaulting a police officer.

Fearing a possible miscarriage of justice, I decided to intervene to give evidence in the ensuing case. The young man was subsequently acquitted. I thought I’d bring the incident to the attention of Mr Paddick to get his opinion. He was immediately very defensive and awkward, eventually storming off.

An alternative view on Brian here. I wonder what the other side of this story is?

This is a very serious matter: Paddick has been criticised by a Black person. Therefore, there is no alternative but for him to be taken from this court to a place of racism re-education and held there until he admits the error of his ways.

well i certainly don't think anyone will understand an 'other side' from such a one-eyed account tbh. alternative or just agitating?

That's my point, I know this women is fairly well connected but I'd like to know if this is such a limited/minority view of Paddick why she'd go public like this knowing there's little support for her view?

I'm unable to comment on the specifics of Cheryl Sealey's claims on the "stop and search" case.

But I'm now confused. Is the Cheryl known in South London as a leading light of "Mothers against Guns" the same Cheryl Sealey who was selected by members of the Respect Coalition last April for their list of candidates for the Greater London Assembly . If so, isn't there an interest to declare? :confused:

Also, her whole indignant piece for Blink seems to start from the preconception that Paddick called Lee Jasper a "street hustler". I can't find any evidence that he has - the phrase only appears in an Andrew Gilligan profile of Lee Jasper. in the Evening Standard. This quoted Paddick on what Jasper used to do in his days in Notting Hill, but the phrase is not in Paddick's own quotation:

The Lib-Dem mayoral candidate and former police commander, Brian Paddick, first came across Mr Jasper as a street hustler in Notting Hill. "Every year at carnival, his association would sell bits of the pavement they didn't own (to commercial stallholders)," said Mr Paddick. "Every year it would end up in a row between Lee and the local police chief, who would eventually give in and allow (traders) who had Lee Jasper licences, rather than local authority licences, through the police lines."

Although it may be worth noting that Gilligan is employed full time by the Standard to *only* dig up info on Ken. Hence the amount of time spent researching all the Lee Jasper/Brixton Base/misappropriation of funds etc/

I dont really have a sway towards any of the candidates tbh, but Ken is the only one who seems to have an intense 24 hour media watch on him.

Meh. Its all the power of the press innit.

So devious dodgy Jasper's fellow-travellers are gunning for Paddick via the scurrilous Evening Standard, are they?

That gets Paddick my vote!

No. Not really. Just that The Standard has taken it upon themselves to employ someone full time to investigate Ken. They arent doing it to the other candidates.

But like I say, the power of the media can paint *anyone* in any light that the media decide they want

Back
Top Bottom