Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breadmakers

Anyone else got one of these?

I got one for my birthday, used it for the first time yesterday and I'm well impressed with it. It took all of five minutes to throw the ingredients in, and then three hours later it produced a lovely white loaf - all dense and crusty and tasty, like bread my mum used to make.

No more pappy ready-sliced bread, full of fat and air, for me! :D Tbh, I'd forgotten how good really fresh bread tastes.

I'm still experimenting with mine - and I must try some fruit loaf with *added herbs* at some point :D - so has anyone got any tips or words of wisdom to offer?

:)

Breadmakers rock

Welcome, comrade. You've taken your first step toward a brave new world.

Brown bread - don't use 100% wholemeal flour, the bread tends to be rather heavy. Mix in 10-20% white flour for a nicer result. Better still, add a couple of grams of dried basil.

I believe some people may add other "herbs", but I'm not so sure that's prudent for bread used to make lunchtime sarnies for work. ;)

Aw bless, isn't it nice to see bachelors being creative in the kitchen :D

Roadie, depending on how healthy you want to be you can chuck seeds into the mix. I usually chuck 3 handfuls of sunflower and pumpkin seeds into our bread, and 3 scoops(tbsp?) of linseeds.
Just throw in what you like.

I've got a recipe for pesto bread if you want it, and my breadmaker does excellent date and walnut loaf, though you have to mix it then put it into the tin.

Also recommend the "bit of white flour with your wholemeal" advice.

The first wholemeal loaf I made was so heavy if I'd dropped it it would have broken my toe! :(

Just have fun and experiment. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't!
Happy breadmaking :)

I got one from asda, it was fab but broke after about 3 weeks :-( I cant find the reciept and they wont take it back despite it being their 'own brand' :(
I cant afford a new one at full price. Im tempted to get one on a buy now pay later thing.
My kids ate lots more bread when I made it myself and less crap becuase they were full ( so less nagging)

Yup, excellent things - After you get the hang of it, you will realise how crap industrial bread is. The Chorleywood process used by all but a handfull of craft bakers is the bread equivalent of McDonalds burgers & relies on some pretty unpleasant additives & too much salt & fat to boot.

Another yes to adding some white flour to your wholemeal, makes a big improvement & I can also recomend a 55/50 or 40/60 Spelt flour/White flour mix for an absolutely crackng loaf.

Do get yourself a non-manufacturers bread recipie book, they will usually have a whole lot of other breads/mixes for you to try. :)

Anyone want a second hand one for a tenner? We got one for xmas a couple of years back but haven't got time to use it, however nice it might be. PM us - i need da bread (if you get me :oops: )

geminisnake said:
I've got a recipe for pesto bread if you want it, and my breadmaker does excellent date and walnut loaf, though you have to mix it then put it into the tin.

Mine's come with recipes for both of those, thanks, gemini. :) I do mean to try the pesto bread one, esoecially, at some point, and I might have a go at emulating my mum's delicious fruit bread too.

I was planning on trying wholemeal bread next though, so I'll bear the white/wholemeal tip in mind. Thanks, everyone.

You're onyl too right about industrial baking, pogofish. I've been reading up on industrial food production recently, and I was shocked by some of what I found out about baking. I had no idea that industrial bread was so high in fat and salt. I don't plan on being all that adventurous with the breadmaker, but I do try and avoid industrial food on the whole, and cutting out shitty CBP bread seems a good thing to do.

:)

LilMissHissyFit said:
I got one from asda, it was fab but broke after about 3 weeks :-( I cant find the reciept and they wont take it back despite it being their 'own brand' :(
That's outrageous! You should be making a stink and complaining to their head office about that. They can't possibly deny responsibility if it's their own brand. :mad:

Roadkill said:
You're onyl too right about industrial baking, pogofish. I've been reading up on industrial food production recently, and I was shocked by some of what I found out about baking. I had no idea that industrial bread was so high in fat and salt.
Got any good links / quotes? :)

Baby Hamster is on a health kick at the moment, but still insists on shop-bought sliced white bread for her school dinner sandwich. As I can't/won't eat it, it gets stale and often goes to waste. (I won't even put it in the dog food generally cos it's such empty calories.) It's also not really worth making home-made bread just for me, because I can't eat much of it so that goes off too.

My wife makes wonderful bread, but doesn't use a breadmaker. I'll see if I can get her to post about her methods.

I'd hate to go back to eating supermarket crap.

LilMissHissyFit said:
I cant afford a new one at full price. Im tempted to get one on a buy now pay later thing.
My kids ate lots more bread when I made it myself and less crap becuase they were full ( so less nagging)

Not THIS breadmaker http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124319&highlight=breadmaker

No. I would make a fuss. Print out the thread if you have to!!!

Enjoy the experiments Roadkill. I just made a wholemeal and chucked half a packet of mixed pine, sunflower and pumpkin seeds in. One slice is a meal in itself - I kid you not!

fat hamster said:

I've not looked all that far on the Internet, but 'Shopped' by Joanna Blythman and 'Not on the Label' by Felicity Lawrence, the first on supermarkets and the second on the food industry in general, both have a fair bit to say about industrial bread. I'll have a look for some links.

fat hamster said:

From posts of mine one of the other breadmaker threads:

More info edited from here:

www.bakersfederation.org.uk/publications/ Fs7%20-%20How%20bread%20is%20made.pdf

CBP The modern commercial process used in large bakeries is known as the Chorleywood Bread Process and was developed in 1961 by the Flour Milling and Baking Research Association at Chorleywood. This method produces bread and other fermented bakery goods without the need to ferment the dough in bulk. Dough development in CBP is achieved during high speed mixing by intense mechanical working of the dough in a few minutes. Not only does this save considerable time(which helps keep down the cost), it also produces bread which is better in respect of volume, colour and keeping qualities. CBP is now by far the most common method used throughout all sectors of the bread baking industry. CBP allows the use of a much higher proportion of flour made from British wheat. This helps to reduce our dependence on hard wheat imported from countries outside the European Community which attract a high levy under the Common Agricultural Policy.

Compared with bulk fermentation doughs it is usual to increase the yeast level to maintain normal proof time and increase water to give dough of the correct consistency. The level of improver varies for different speciality breads; advice must be taken from the improver supplier to establish the correct level. Note: Most commercial composite bread improvers contain active ingredients such as enzymes which require careful storage and handling - Health and Safety procedures must be followed.

*Hard fat is essential for CBP and is sometimes added as part of the improver

More info on alternatives here

http://www.dovesfarm-organic.co.uk/bread-baking.htm

Originally Posted by exosculate
Does that include the high quality bread market - because that always tastes quite good to me.

From what I understand, yes but it should be a good bit lower in additives/hydrogenated fats than the cheaper stuff & ought to have undergone a nearer normal rising & proving period.

Apparently, a good test in the supermarket, is to crush a loaf. If it springs back to its old shape quickly, avoid that brand - the additives & fats have given it that unnatural elastic texture.

For the price, yes 40-60p a loaf would be reasonable with the flour I buy from Sainsbury or Asda but with the Lidl flour, @ 25p for a 1.5 kilo (medium) loaf would be more like it (very rough calculations)

Sorry, the Lidl bags are 1.5Kg

Just done a comparison from the linked figures on the salt content alone for a Chorleywood loaf - a typical medium loaf would contain 8 grams of salt. A similar sized loaf from my breadmaker would contain a mere 1.5 grams. That alone is quite a difference

Hard fats are also known as Hydrogenated Fats & if you stick that into Google, you will soon have a good idea of the health concerns about them. :(

Thanks. :)

I know what hydrogenated fats are <spits> but I didn't know they were an essential part of factory-produced bread. :oops:

Will show BH this thread in the morning.

Should add that white bread made from good quality flour, sensible amounts of sugar, salt & no "improvers" is every bit as goos as any other bread from a breadmaker.

Roadkill said:
It took all of five minutes to throw the ingredients in, and then three hours later it produced a lovely white loaf - all dense and crusty and tasty, like bread my mum used to make.

You got a crusty loaf? I bought a breadmaker a couple of years ago, used it loads of times using different recipes and experimenting with amounts - but never managed to get a crusty loaf :(

Can't remember what make it was (I gave it to my son when I moved last year) but am now wondering if different makes produce better/worse loaves?

I also found the bread was ok the day I made it, but like a brick the day after! :eek:

i got a breadmaker about a year ago - someone sold me it on the street for £1 :eek: :D ; it was brilliant, and i used it a lot, but haven't really used it since i found out how easy it is to make chapatis.

neilh said:
i got a breadmaker about a year ago - someone sold me it on the street for £1 :eek: :D ; it was brilliant, and i used it a lot, but haven't really used it since i found out how easy it is to make chapatis.

How easy is it to make chapatis, then? :confused:

i got a cheap breadmaker from a closing down sale and it's wonderful. well, it was, but after the first couple of weeks of breadmaking, i sort of forgot about it. :rolleyes:

that's my problem: no staying power.

this thread has reminded me of it's existence, so i'll be hauling it out of the under-stairs-cupboard very, very soon.

i know i will! :D

Floh said:
How easy is it to make chapatis, then? :confused:
mix wholemeal flour with water (i tend to find around a mug full of flour to about 50ml water), knead into dough, leave covered for a while, make into 3 balls, flatten out into chapati shape, fry in wok with no oil for a few minutes each side, chapati.

neilh said:
mix wholemeal flour with water (i tend to find around a mug full of flour to about 50ml water), knead into dough, leave covered for a while, make into 3 balls, flatten out into chapati shape, fry in wok with no oil for a few minutes each side, chapati.

Ta! :)

fat hamster said:
Baby Hamster is on a health kick at the moment, but still insists on shop-bought sliced white bread for her school dinner sandwich. As I can't/won't eat it, it gets stale and often goes to waste.

Couldn't you freeze some? My granny does that coz she takes about a week to get through a loaf. Though I do know a lot of people don't like frozen bread.

LMHF, did you pay cash for the breadmaker? If not you should have a bank or credit card statemnet with the payment on it. Kick up a stink if politeness doesn't work, threaten to complain about their shoddy service to the local press, that usually gets results.

Not sure about that. Although a receipt is definite proof of purchase the fact that is is their own brand should be in your favour.
Could you try phoning a local CAB just to make sure there's nowt you can do?? Might be worth it.

rowan said:
You got a crusty loaf? I bought a breadmaker a couple of years ago, used it loads of times using different recipes and experimenting with amounts - but never managed to get a crusty loaf :(

Do you leave it to cool in the machine? I've made a few loaves with crusty crusts but I take it out of the machine and leave it to cool on a rack :)

If you want a crusty loaf then put it on the dark setting

or bake it for an extra 20 minutes and slightly reduce the amount of water by about a teaspoon

rowan said:
No, I took them out of the machine to cool. They were always a bit too heavy too. :(

Know what you mean. The 'French' one comes out ok, but wholemeal (with a some white) is very heavy... nice for toast, but a bit too much as a sandwich. Think I'm going to start experimenting with granary loaves next :)

I used to get good bread with granary flour. I didn't realise at first but it must be because it's brown flour with bits not wholemeal.

I have found I need to adjust a bit from the book with wholemeal and that more expensive wholemeal flour makes quite a difference.

Back
Top Bottom