Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brady's, Brixton (Railway Hotel): history, chat and plans

lang rabbie said:
:confused:

I think that English Heritage gave Lambeth an earlier grant to make the Raleigh Hall building watertight, but that was a six figure sum at most.

Edited to add: AFAIK, BCA also got £344,000 from the HLF back in 1999 under their guise as "National Museum & Archives of Black History & Culture" for improved conservation/storage facilities for their collection.
I was sure that figure was quoted at the BAF meeting about this time last year. But maybe that was a projected figure of funds still to be applied for.

IntoStella said:
This is the chicken and egg aspect of projects like this but it is not insurmountable.

Basically you have got to know what work needs to be done and how much it will cost (as well as what you intend to do with the place) before you can realistically apply for grants, ie Heritage Lottery Fund and various EC regeneration grants, to pay for it. Nobody is suggesting we find the money ourselves. We couldn't. There is still masses of regeneration money around, but the only way to proceed with any prospect of long term success is to do everything by the book in terms of surveys, feasibility studies, etc. Grants are available to pay for these as well.

BCA spent about 5 million quid of HLF money just on a feasibility study for Raleigh Hall. It may seem crazy but that is how it is done. A project as big as Brady's has got to be carried out and funded properly.
I agree that we have to do something and will gladly get involved,i like alot of other people believe that bradys is a brixton institution and should be returned to being a community resource.
i worked at bradys for it's last 6 years as a pub and have been involved every time it's been squated.

linerider said:
I agree that we have to do something and will gladly get involved,i like alot of other people believe that bradys is a brixton institution and should be returned to being a community resource.
i worked at bradys for it's last 6 years as a pub and have been involved every time it's been squated.
Excellent. :cool:

IntoStella said:
I was sure that figure was quoted at the BAF meeting about this time last year. But maybe that was a projected figure of funds still to be applied for.

I suspect the HLF have earmarked £5million for the BCA in Raleigh Hall scheme, subject to BCA putting together a plausible business plan. HLF (and other heritage bodies) are desperate to be seen to be doing something in London for black heritage in the run up to 2007 - bicentenary of the abolition of the slave trade.

There is a danger that BCA's (IMHO desperately dull) proposals for their museum will be sexed up to claim to provide "community facilities", and you'd need to have a strong argument why HLF should support plans only a few hundred yards away.

Bob said:
Lang Rabbie? Can we tempt the guru of all things council along? ;)

Sorry, I'm chairing a meeting that evening.

I'm involved in too many other open space and community projects in the SW2/SW12/SW16 fringes already.

Happy to shout support from the sidelines. My suggestion (for what it is worth) is to try and get the pub - including the former music room - listed (if no one has tried this already)

citydreams said:
So, all those in favour of doing more than sitting on our arses while this building rots,
we're planning on meeting up for a drink or two on

the evening of Wednesday, September 28th at a location yet to be decided
I would be very happy to help out - keep me posted. :)

citydreams said:
It might be a long (cheap) shot, but could we obtain a list of famous artists that have played at Brady's?

I know Hendrix was known to be a regular, and, well, the Hendrix family have just won their case against Purple Haze Records ltd link and may be up for extending his memorial after Jimi's Woodstock CD is released.
Sadly, it seems the Hendrix Brady's rumours were somewhat exaggerated. There was a thread that mentioned this as well. Wasn't it rabbie or newbie perhaps who exploded that particular myth?

Hendrix may have gone to Brady's but he wasn't, AFAIK, a regular and apparently he never played there.

10-05-66:
Jimi, Mitch, and Noel play together for the first time in London. Have Mercy, Green Onions, Everybody Needs Somebody
My Mum was at that gig, which I think was in the Ealing Blues Club. The building is still there....

Mrs Magpie said:
My Mum was at that gig, which I think was in the Ealing Blues Club. The building is still there....

Now that's impressive. The best I can do is that my Dad was asked to take part in a police identity parade in 1960s Brixton. An old lady who had been mugged very nervously said she didn't want to point out the mugger due to fear of being hit. When she eventually did point out the mugger she confidently said she was sure it was my Dad. Needless to say he is (and was) a mild mannered accountant. :D

Also just heard that I should have an answer on when the exclusive rights expire soon.

Hi, Just a reminder that we're meeting at The Trinity this wednesday
all welcome
drinks at 7:30, to start meeting at 8pm

citydreams said:
all welcome

good luck with the meeting. I cannot attend this one, but will certainly be at any further meeting/help with action. I used to work in a planning department,(unfortuanatly not lambeth) so I can get advice from people there, if needed.

I'm afraid I can't make it either.

One odd thing. I was talking to an old Brixtonite - someone who really knows his stuff about this kind of thing - and he swore blind that the clock tower of Brady's was categorically, 100% listed.

In fact, he said that he was with the officials that listed it at because they were listing his property at the same time.

I know people have researched this and found nothing, but could it be that the listing has been lost?

citydreams said:
all welcome

I'm meeting with someone about the crack mailing list in the Trinity earlier, but I might join you when we're done if thats OK?

editor said:
I'm afraid I can't make it either.

One odd thing. I was talking to an old Brixtonite - someone who really knows his stuff about this kind of thing - and he swore blind that the clock tower of Brady's was categorically, 100% listed.

In fact, he said that he was with the officials that listed it at the time because they were listing his property at the time.

I know people have researched this and found nothing, but could it be that the listing has been lost?

maybe, but If memory serves me correct, when something is listed the records are placed in the Land Charges department, Legal, as well as Planning (but this mayb edifferent at different authorities. But saying that, the authority I worked for were pretty slack with their records. If someone had been researching the site (which obviously they have been) it would be quite possible to lose the records.

The best thing would be to try and find out a date of the listing and check local newspapers. Also find out which planning officers and councillors were responsible for listing it and see if any are still around. Best way would be to research the persons property you mentioned, which I think can be done for free at the council offices.

Although, there is always the possibility that the council 'lost' the records on purpose.

I will talk to an old colleague and find out if there is any other way to check if a building has been listed.

Zinedine* said:
I will talk to an old colleague and find out if there is any other way to check if a building has been listed.
Cool. This guy really was emphatic that the clock tower was listed and was expressing surprise that campaigners hadn't used this as leverage for getting the building back into use.

editor said:
Once and for all, we went to the planning office last year and looked at the records. It is not listed, no matter what some bloke in a pub might think. There are a lot of, shall we say 'fantasists' around.

This always happens when anybody tries to organise anything in Brixton. A load of misinformation creeps in, hares get set running, everyone runs around like headless chickens and nothing whatsoever gets done.

If it's going to be just another talking shop I have other things to do.

IntoStella said:
It is not listed, no matter what some bloke in a pub might think. There are a lot of, shall we say 'fantasists' around.
"Some 'fantasist' bloke in a pub", eh? You think that's what I'm on about?

<editor's enthusiasm for getting involved seeps away>

I'm not interested in getting involved in an atmosphere of sneering put downs, so I'll leave you to it.

editor said:
Cool. This guy really was emphatic that the clock tower was listed and was expressing surprise that campaigners hadn't used this as leverage for getting the building back into use.

Ive sent an e-mail to the Principle Planning Officer at the Local Authority I used to work in. I will post his reply when I get it

About Listed Buildings - where

Where to see the Lists

1.14 You can inspect the statutory lists for England free of charge at: The National Monuments Record in Swindon or at the office of the relevant County or District Council (in London, at the office of the appropriate London Borough Council).

IntoStella said:
Oh honestly. Come on!
I worked in Planning for ages, Ive seen worse go on. I wouldnt put anything past them. A planning officer gets a very low wage compared with other people with similar qualifications- sometimes they top up there wage doing things that are less than honest.

Losing something is nothing compared to other stuff I have witnessed.

Back
Top Bottom