Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boxing

Major weekend in the sport, it can't go unmentioned:

1) A new middleweight king, Sergio Martinez. I thought he should have got the nod over Paul Williams before Christmas, and he was terrific against Pavlik on Saturday. Pavlik is killing himself making the 160lb limit, you have to think he'll move up to super-middle sooner rather than later. More than that, like against Hopkins he looked flat-footed against a highly mobile opponent.

2) Edwin Valero: fuck me, what can you say? 27-0, all stoppages, Hugo Chavez tattoo on his chest, a history of drink and drug abuse, indiscriminate violence outside the ring and car crashes. This weekend, an extended period of chaos climaxes in him murdering his wife and hanging himself in prison the day after. He could have gone all the way, but there can be no sypathy for him.

Froch-Kessler this weekend, Froch has always said he's better than Calzaghe, he's got the chance to back it up now. Didn't see Froch against Dirrell, but Kessler was blown away by Andre Ward last time out.
Pavlik sure is The Ghost the last year, he just aint the same as his potential showed. I like Martinez so am glad he got the result.

As for Valero, fucking nasty piece of shit, no time to feel any sadness for a man like that, and I suspect we only know the tip of the iceberg. Cracking boxer mind.

I watched the Froch vs Kessler presser today and thought he looked very tense, different than his usual war face. He needs a good result in this.

Munroe vs Terrazas and Adamek vs Flabeola this w/end too, I'm looking forward to both immensely.

Froch could have a problem here: the streams went fuzzy during 9 and 10, otherwise I had it 5-5, but Froch seemed to tire down the stretch and of what I saw of 9 and 10 Kessler looked stronger, plus he's at home. We'll see.

I'm a bit gutted by that but Froch played it wrong by just looking for the big punches, he needed to be coming forward more and to have stepped up his workrate, it was there for him to take tonight. Fair play to Kessler, i've always enjoyed his fights. After the super 6, depending how things pan out, i can see a rematch between these two, definetly warriors the pair of them.

Kessler gets the nod, he came on strong late on and had the better of the latter half of the fight. He's improved his defence since Ward, he blocked and dodged better then I've seen him before. Ward is still the best I've seen in the tournament so far, by a distance.

I don't watch a whole load of boxing.

My favourite fights to watch were Tyson fights.

Even if I had to stay up to 0300 for a couple of minutes action.

Post fight interview with McCracken and Froch -

Mosley vs Mayweather this w/end, I CAN'T WAIt for this. I'm not interested in the 'this should have happened 5 yaers ago' etc. waste of time thinking like that, it's a real live fight which can go so many ways. Will Money put on a master class and turn Shane old in the ring, will he get on his bike, will Mosley break him down and overpower him.

Can't wait - and free on SS1 too.

Money in his own words http://www.hbo.com/boxing/index.htm...6JeamcjIyskknlpbkF+QkVtqWFJWmsjGyMQIAWCcXOA==

Shane in his own words http://www.hbo.com/boxing/index.htm...6JeamcjIyskknlpbkF+QkVtqWFJWmsjGyMQIAWCcXOA==

And a lovely little Promo vid

Got ringside ticket through work for the ABA elite national finals at York Hall in May, looking forward to it, very different occasion to Mosley/Mayweather this weekend though!

Got ringside ticket through work for the ABA elite national finals at York Hall in May, looking forward to it, very different occasion to Mosley/Mayweather this weekend though!
Funnily enough I was enquiring about tickets for that today. York Hall is a great venue for boxing.

part of my work involves helping boxing clubs in London to develop their coaches and get more people into coaching, as such the ABA were kind enough to invite me along...I have never been to York Hall (for boxing anyway)

You're in for a treat then Tom, IME.

Never considered the coaching side of things, but have got ambition for refereeing.

Prizefighter tonight chaps, am looking forward to it. Herbie Hide should on paper be head and shoulders above the rest, to a degree that the Board prob' wouldn't sanction a fight between him or any of the others, but I fancy Corbett for this, I've always suspected Herbie's whiskers, so it'll be interesting.

Am looking forward to a few nice KO's.

And as for tomorrow nights gorgeous fight - just 1 more sleep, w00t.

how can there only be a 1lb difference? Mosely looks much bigger:eek:

Anyway i think Mayweather will nick it,he is a smart guy,knows what fights to take and has low mileage in terms of punishment. We all know the fight we want.

how can there only be a 1lb difference? Mosely looks much bigger:eek:

Two reasons spring to mind. One is that a fighter's physique can often belie their actual weight and vice versa (think of Tommy Hearns as an example) and the other is that Mosley has probably been knocking back plenty of food and drink since the weigh-in.

Prizefighter tonight chaps, am looking forward to it. Herbie Hide should on paper be head and shoulders above the rest, to a degree that the Board prob' wouldn't sanction a fight between him or any of the others, but I fancy Corbett for this, I've always suspected Herbie's whiskers, so it'll be interesting.

Am looking forward to a few nice KO's.

And as for tomorrow nights gorgeous fight - just 1 more sleep, w00t.

I saw Herbie Hide on TV years ago, he looked like a hot property, what happenned to him? No titles that I heard about??

Back
Top Bottom