Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boxing

Cheers! Nice thread, good idea :cool:
Aye, am gonna use/bump this thread anytime I fancy posting about boxing.

I know there's a Hatton thread too but I'll ask a question here. We know he's coming back now, he's said he'll see how the comeback fight goes before deciding how many more he'll have.

Anyone got any preference/thoughts on who he should fight?

Missed this til now..

:cool:

Ian McNeilly said:
Hornden heavy John McDermott, who most people thought was robbed of his English title when Manchester gypsy Tyson Fury was given a points verdict last November, will fight for his old title against the winner of a real purist's battle - Derek Chisora v Matt Skelton.

In a poll conducted on BoxRec's British forum, 94% of participants said the Board should mandate a rematch between McDermott and Fury and they duly did so. However, a fortnight after the controversial match, Fury went and broke his hand on the tough head of Polish journeyman Tomas Mrazek in what should have been a routine workout (Fury won on points).

So Fury has had to vacate and McDermott's dubious 'reward' is a match against either 'Del Boy' or the 'Bedford Bear'.

Those two are set to square off for the Southern Area belt on February 13th on the undercard of an intriguing contest in the same division - the British and Commonwealth title showdown between Sam Sexton and Danny Williams.

Purse bids for McDermott v Chisora/Skelton are due the following Monday, February 15th, with the match to take place by the end of May.
Lovely.

Am really looking forward to heading out to Essex on the 13th.

Anyone fancy it?

Excellent choice for 1 and 2 Drew, + I agree about overhaul. There's too many alphabet belts, there should be only 1 champion for each weight class.

I think the Super 6 is working along the right lines, but even that is flawed, but it's a step in the right direction.

It's the fight that got me back into boxing again after Sky seemed to wipe boxing off the terrestrial channels in the 90's. Extraordinary fight, for me it was a one-off. Was my birthday that day too. :)

It seemed like either man could have clinched it with one good hit, right up until the very last punch. Still blows me away now watching it again. :cool:

Berto has pulled out of his fight with Mosley in a fortnight (he's from Haiti, or his parents are at least).

this leaves the possibility of Mosley - Mayweather in March (which i'd been reading about being a possibility for the month of May over the weekend)

^^ it's been suggested to me that there was move aside money involved, so as to allow Money vs Mosley, as you say, in March.

Someone of Mosleys calibre is the only calibre acceptable for Floyd until the Pacman fight.

I'm gutted this one wont be on as was looking forward to it immensely, but if it leads to the March bout then woo hoo.

On a sidenote chaps, I met John Conteh on the way home y/day, on the tube platform in Baker St, I apologised for bothering him but wanted to tell him what a legend he was. He invited me to talk, then when the tube arrived he didn't try to make off, he gestured me on with him and then I spoke with him all the way to Waterloo ('bout 10/11 mins), we spoke of Ali, Gypsy boxing, Prizefighter, the Super 6 and then we talked about the Ali vs Al Blue Lewis fight in Croke Park cos John was on the undercard that night.

Fucking chuffed is not the word, got a photo with him and he gave me his e-mail address and asked if I'd send it to him.

How utterly :cool:

Hi u75 boxing fans

In answer to the OP:

1. Favourite fight. A really tough one this- probably Ali-Frazier3, but Louis-Conn is a close contender.

2. Favourite fighter. The reason that I like boxing at all is the influence of my late father, a much bigger boxing fan than I. Dad's boxing hero was always Joe Louis, so partly out of respect to his memory I'm going with Joe.

3. What do I think of boxing? Personally, I think that a really good boxing match is as much a work of art as it is a sporting contest- ballet with violence if you like. People generally think that I'm weird for looking at boxing like this; I'm hoping that you guys will be more understanding.

w00t, 'other sports' forum.

Nothing to add to this particular thread at the moment, but I will use this to post anything boxing related. :)

But let me ask yous all 3 questions, if I may

1. What's your favourite fight of all time
2. Who's your fav' fighter
3. What do you think of boxing

Cheers

One of my fav: Calzaghe v Mitchell. 2 Round slugfest.
Fav fighter: was calzaghe. Now like the look of Kevin Mitchell and Khan.

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew of a way in which you could find info on watching boxing live, say a listings site or something? I'm getting into the sport and think it would be a good craic to see a fight live. Cheers.

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew of a way in which you could find info on watching boxing live, say a listings site or something? I'm getting into the sport and think it would be a good craic to see a fight live. Cheers.

you mean watch it online? If so try myP2p. Just watched that Dempsey V Willard fight, bit brutal that :(

At last Floyd steps and takes on an opponant who can punch back and has fast hands. Should be a good un, this.

Should be good :cool: let's hope both Money and Manny come through their respective bouts, I suspect they will, but in boxing anything is possible, as Manny vs Money is the BIG one, no disrespect to Mosley... but I wonder what he has left.

Here's something I found highly amusing. Cus D'Amato explaining to Ali (and then actually showing him) how Frazier was going to beat him (except Cus moves a bit more like he later taught Tyson to move when he shows Ali ... )

capte7c8bf9b6fa44761a50cab1ca5f8a37.jpg

1. What's your favourite fight of all time
The first Barrerra v Morales fight

2. Who's your fav' fighter
Lennox Lewis - his career co-incided with me getting my own place & having sky so a Lewis fight was always a good night sat up until 6am with a bunch of mates & fridge full of beer

3. What do you think of boxing
I really enjoy seeing a good fight but dont go for any of the UFC/extreme fighter stuff

1. my favourite fight - me and giovanni from work.

2. favourite boxer - giovanni from work.

3. attitude to boxing - not sure these days, since working with g. he is proper punchy, though i should stop calling him "punchy" as a nickname.

giovanni on his way to a commonwealth games silver medal, wearing blue,

18th+Commonwealth+Games+Day+7+Boxing+WvqEYo-cKJim.jpg

me and g,

8517_149077736603_583506603_3206893_2973787_n.jpg

8517_149078216603_583506603_3206894_1338397_n.jpg

Just imagine what would happen, if, after Ricky Hatton's comeback fight, he somehow manages to get re-matches against Mayweather and Pacquiao and then beats them both?

VERY unlikely to happen, but wouldn't he be regarded as probably THE best fighter of all time? no?

What say you? :)

Major weekend in the sport, it can't go unmentioned:

1) A new middleweight king, Sergio Martinez. I thought he should have got the nod over Paul Williams before Christmas, and he was terrific against Pavlik on Saturday. Pavlik is killing himself making the 160lb limit, you have to think he'll move up to super-middle sooner rather than later. More than that, like against Hopkins he looked flat-footed against a highly mobile opponent.

2) Edwin Valero: fuck me, what can you say? 27-0, all stoppages, Hugo Chavez tattoo on his chest, a history of drink and drug abuse, indiscriminate violence outside the ring and car crashes. This weekend, an extended period of chaos climaxes in him murdering his wife and hanging himself in prison the day after. He could have gone all the way, but there can be no sypathy for him.

Froch-Kessler this weekend, Froch has always said he's better than Calzaghe, he's got the chance to back it up now. Didn't see Froch against Dirrell, but Kessler was blown away by Andre Ward last time out.

Just imagine what would happen, if, after Ricky Hatton's comeback fight, he somehow manages to get re-matches against Mayweather and Pacquiao and then beats them both?

VERY unlikely to happen, but wouldn't he be regarded as probably THE best fighter of all time? no?

What say you? :)
lol.

Back
Top Bottom