Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boiled wool jumpers

Anyway, anything called a "Gansey" is probably aimed at the American market. Try looking for Guernseys instead. Traditional oily wool. Doubles up as a pan scourer. Keeps out hurricanes and waterspouts.
Nope, Gansie is the real name for them and predates american/japanese tourists.
Best way to buy one is to holiday in somewhere like Marske or Redcar out of the holiday season, and get drinking in one of the local pubs near to where the fishing boats are kept.

Hello.

I am wanting to try boiling a wool jumper to shrink it a bit and get a tighter knit fabric to keep the wind out.

Anyone got any experience of doing this?

Length of boil time etc?

Ta

I did this a few years ago with a jumper I liked when I lost quite a bit of weight in a fairly short period.

Not boiling as such, but one of the hotter settings on the washing machine.

It went fine, was a little tight at first then loosened up. This was about 2016 and I still wear it. Think it might have been 60 degrees.

As a precaution, I should point out that I knew success was far from guaranteed and was willing (expecting) to throw the jumper away had it gone wrong.

Afterwards there was a second gently wash with lots of wool fabric conditioner to soften it up (it was a little scratchy at first).

Last edited:
I did this a few years ago with a jumper I liked when I lost quite a bit of weight in a fairly short period.

Not boiling as such, but one of the hotter settings on the washing machine.

It went fine, was a little tight at first then loosened up. This was about 2016 and I still wear it. Think it might have been 60 degrees.

As a precaution, I should point out that I knew success was far from guaranteed and was willing (expecting) to throw the jumper away had it gone wrong.

Afterwards there was a second gently wash with lots of wool fabric conditioner to soften it up (it was a little scratchy at first).
Encouragement!

Encouragement!

Yeah, but the proportion of voices going in each direction is probably a reasonable indicator of how likely it is to go well.

When I did it, it was to take account of a weight loss of two and a half stones, so fine-tuning that process for keeping the wind out might not be easy.

Yeah, but the proportion of voices going in each direction is probably a reasonable indicator of how likely it is to go well.

When I did it, it was to take account of a weight loss of two and a half stones, so fine-tuning that process for keeping the wind out might not be easy.
I’m thinking of getting a xxxl version of the mod spec woolly pully I posted earlier. Sticking it in a delicates bag to keep the shape and into a warm wash.

I’m thinking of getting a xxxl version of the mod spec woolly pully I posted earlier. Sticking it in a delicates bag to keep the shape and into a warm wash.

I didn’t know what I was doing and just got lucky, so I couldn’t possibly comment on the chance of it working how you want. :)

Anyway, anything called a "Gansey" is probably aimed at the American market. Try looking for Guernseys instead. Traditional oily wool. Doubles up as a pan scourer. Keeps out hurricanes and waterspouts.
Gansey is the traditional name for the traditional fisherman’s jumper in Norfolk. Has been for a very long time. It originates from guernsey from where many fishermen used to travel. It was a corruption/mispronunciation of guernsey

Hello.

I am wanting to try boiling a wool jumper to shrink it a bit and get a tighter knit fabric to keep the wind out.

Anyone got any experience of doing this?

Length of boil time etc?

Ta
Do you have a cat? If so, the jumper will fit it. Mary hot washed one of my army woolie pullies, it fitted the cat. Luckily my upstairs neighbour was NCO IC clothing stores. :D

Back
Top Bottom