Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boiled wool jumpers

TopCat

Putin fanboy
Hello.

I am wanting to try boiling a wool jumper to shrink it a bit and get a tighter knit fabric to keep the wind out.

Anyone got any experience of doing this?

Length of boil time etc?

Ta

Hello.

I am wanting to try boiling a wool jumper to shrink it a bit and get a tighter knit fabric to keep the wind out.

Length of boil time etc?

Ta
At your own risk. You won't be able to control the degree of shrinkage.

For starters I wouldn't boil it but just hand-wash in hot water with no detergent. You can then keep an eye on it and increase the heat and add detergent to increase the shrinkage if necessary.

Even if you just put it on a hot wash you run the risk of ending up with a child sized felt parka.

What is the fibre content and what does the care label say?

Boiled wool is fulled before being fashioned into a garment. It's a terrible idea to boil a jumper - you'll end up with something tiny and useless. At the very best you might try lying in a warm bath wearing it to attempt to control the shrinkage (the way older urbs may remember doing with Levis) but even that is dodgy as it could continue to shrink as it dries. Much better to buy a jumper that fits in the first place.

Hello.

Length of boil time etc?

Ta
Maybe adopt bluescreen's suggestion but get a manikin torso so while it dries it will have a figure beyond which it cannot shrink

It’s a pure British wool jumper. I have a few and they are fab. I was thinking of getting a 2XXL one and boiling it to get density and extra weight.

Bit unsure now.

It’s a pure British wool jumper. I have a few and they are fab. I was thinking of getting a 2XXL one and boiling it to get density and extra weight.

Bit unsure now.
Definitely do not do that. Money down the drain. If you had an old manky one fair enough to experiment.

There is even a chance that it wouldn't shrink at all, because some wool is treated to be machine washable.

I've done it twice by accident, and have wearable garments but don't even think about actually boil washing. Untreated wool in the machine on a 30° wool cycle might do the trick, but it's not an exact science as above^

Boiled wool garments are fantastic though. For winter mountaineering some people still use Dachstein mitts which are much, much cheaper and more robust than fancy Goretex things. They have a very particular aroma when damp and sweaty, brings all the rams to your yard.

You can get the equivalent in jumpers but they cost a fortune.

Last edited:
I thought felting was about knocking it about rather than the temperature. Like, the Mongolian nomads who drag rolls of layered fleece behind their animals as they travel to make it into wool for their tents. And I’ve seen sheep’s fleece made into felt with just water and elbow grease no heat.

So maybe just bung it in a rinse and spin cycle.

Or don’t cos it’ll ruin the jumper.

Is boiled wool different to felted wool?

Last edited:
I thought felting was about knocking it about rather than the temperature. Like, the Mongolian nomads who drag rolls of layered fleece behind their animals as they travel to make it into wool for their tents. And I’ve seen sheep’s fleece made into felt with just water and elbow grease no heat.

So maybe just bung it in a rinse and spin cycle.

Or don’t cos it’ll ruin the jumper.

Is boiled wool different to felted wool?
I have made felt (out of loose wool roving rather than woven or knitted fabric) and there are three ingredients to felting: hot water, rubbing and detergent. Probably 2 out of 3 will do some felting but all 3 will produce the tightest felt. ISTR that wool fibres have little hooks on them and the felting process makes them all stick together. Although a lot of commercial felt, like felt for crafting, is made of artificial fibres.

It's also quite helpful to know this for when you really DON'T want to felt something.

TopCat
Rather than ruin any real wool products, could I suggest that you purchase a Fisherman's "Gansie" of the type worn by the good folk of the North Sea coastline communities.

A good gansie will be both wind and reasonably water proof.

btw [trivia alert] - the patterns knitted into them were individual to various ports, so a body could be identified if washed up after a storm.

Boiled wool garments are fantastic though. For winter mountaineering some people still use Dachstein mitts which are much, much cheaper and more robust than fancy Goretex things. They have a very particular aroma when damp and sweaty, brings all the rams to your yard.

You can get the equivalent in jumpers but they cost a fortune.

Have several pairs - they get stolen by beloved family members - in filthy, cold, wet and windy weather they are the absolute shiz.

They've been known to fetch £100 in dire circumstances....

TopCat
Rather than ruin any real wool products, could I suggest that you purchase a Fisherman's "Gansie" of the type worn by the good folk of the North Sea coastline communities.

A good gansie will be both wind and reasonably water proof.

btw [trivia alert] - the patterns knitted into them were individual to various ports, so a body could be identified if washed up after a storm.
Lovely but ouch

Back
Top Bottom