Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bognor v Dulwich 23 March

Bugpowder Dust

Been a while since I went, and I think I got a lift on both visits.

Very happy memories of the playoff semi final win, not so happy memories of the playoff final defeat!

Any one got tips for decent pubs or local knowledge?

Been a while since I went, and I think I got a lift on both visits.

Very happy memories of the playoff semi final win, not so happy memories of the playoff final defeat!

Any one got tips for decent pubs or local knowledge?
Weatherspoons. That's it.

There was a decent pub in the centre of town if I recall right. Just need to rake any remaining brain cells!

Does The Alex ring a bell? Turning left out of the station and down to the main drag. Quite a cute little pub with a decent selection of ales and a distinct lack of “Slaughtered Lamb” vibes.

I've never found a pub in Bognor Regis that I'd particularly recommend or rush to return to myself. However the Dog & Duck sounds worth a look. It began as a micropub in the high street a few years ago, but recently relocated to a disused pub at 3 The Steyne, PO21 1TX. It's close to the sea front, slightly to the west of the pier, i.e. 10-15 minutes walk from the ground.

They don't seem to have a website but they do have a Facebook page. It sounds to have retained the micropub feel and ethos, despite now being in a more traditional pub building.

Trains are scheduled to run a normal service from Victoria to Bognor Regis, calling at Clapham Junction and East Croydon. There are still some £7 each way advance fares available for some services from East Dulwich to Bognor Regis, changing at East Croydon. (Yes, East Dulwich actually has train service for a second consecutive Saturday!) If you want the flexibility of an open off peak day return, this is one of the routes where it's much more expensive to book from London than to book from the south coast. You can save a few quid by booking a return from Bognor to London, then using the return portion for the outward journey and vice versa.

With 3 away trips in 7 days plus a dental appointment to pay for, I'm probably going to have to miss this one now unless I miss both the cheaper more local games instead.

Thanks for the train tips Pink Panther, I checked a few options yesterday but didn't think to look at the reverse.

Trainline was offering a £30 advance or £33 off peak day return from east Dulwich, so only a couple of pounds more for full flexibility seemed worth it.

That route is not via London, changing at East Croydon easy on way out but 30 min connection on way back. From Peckham rye/Denmark hill the cheapest return was coming in at £44 I think, as it wanted you to go into London to change at Victoria.

Thanks for the train tips Pink Panther, I checked a few options yesterday but didn't think to look at the reverse.

Trainline was offering a £30 advance or £33 off peak day return from east Dulwich, so only a couple of pounds more for full flexibility seemed worth it.

That route is not via London, changing at East Croydon easy on way out but 30 min connection on way back. From Peckham rye/Denmark hill the cheapest return was coming in at £44 I think, as it wanted you to go into London to change at Victoria.

The Overground service from Denmark Hill is diverted to terminate at Battersea Park due to engineering works, that's why it's directing you via Victoria.

If you regularly do the longer away trips you should consider investing in a Network Railcard. £30 a year for one third off all weekend tickets, plus weekday off peak tickets with a minimum spend of £13.

It's £15.80 for a reversed day return from Bognor to Victoria or East Dulwich, or most other local stations as far as I can tell. Folkestone in 4 weeks time is another trip with a significant saving for railcard holders.

For anyone looking for a decent pre-match pint, it's Non-League Day tomorrow and this is taken from the Bognor preview:

As well as face painting for supporters, craft ale is being sold at an outside bar, courtesy of great support from the Dog and Duck (find them at 3 The Steyne, Bognor Regis) and there is also a crossbar challenge at half-time.

Added attractions include live music, free balloons and face-painting for kids, prize raffle with a signed ball and Rocks shirt up for grabs. Also, admittance of under 16s for free.

Sadly the weather may spoil the festivities, with rain forecast from 1pm-4pm ish, whilst the rest of the day looks dry.

I've never found a pub in Bognor Regis that I'd particularly recommend or rush to return to myself. However the Dog & Duck sounds worth a look. It began as a micropub in the high street a few years ago, but recently relocated to a disused pub at 3 The Steyne, PO21 1TX. It's close to the sea front, slightly to the west of the pier, i.e. 10-15 minutes walk from the ground.

They don't seem to have a website but they do have a Facebook page. It sounds to have retained the micropub feel and ethos, despite now being in a more traditional pub building.

Trains are scheduled to run a normal service from Victoria to Bognor Regis, calling at Clapham Junction and East Croydon. There are still some £7 each way advance fares available for some services from East Dulwich to Bognor Regis, changing at East Croydon. (Yes, East Dulwich actually has train service for a second consecutive Saturday!) If you want the flexibility of an open off peak day return, this is one of the routes where it's much more expensive to book from London than to book from the south coast. You can save a few quid by booking a return from Bognor to London, then using the return portion for the outward journey and vice versa.

With 3 away trips in 7 days plus a dental appointment to pay for, I'm probably going to have to miss this one now unless I miss both the cheaper more local games instead.
Dog and Duck seems to be the pub of choice, it’s good.

Good day out, Bognor have a good set up and people were friendly. New cover behind the bar end terrace since I last visited, a craft beer tent at £4 a pop with no charge for reusable plastic cups.

On the footballing front i thought Lakin did well, I'd be happy to continue with him for the rest of the season. Didn't really notice Deacon or the new defender.

Most people I spoke to thought first pen was soft, but for me it was a foul. Second one was in the box although highlights may show otherwise. Chambers looked had sealed the win but offside flag was up, must have been tight.

Excellent 3 points, especially when those around us lost.

The other results might have been a little more helpful. The other two 6 pointers were won by Wingate and Horsham, who were already furthest ahead of us with a game in hand, so we're still 4 points behind them. On the plus side we're now level on points with Billericay and Carshalton with a game in hand, and it's always going to be funny when Billericay lose to two goals in the 5th and 9th minutes of stoppage time after leading 1-0 since the first 10 minutes. Enfield dropping 2 points at Margate was another useful result.

The other results might have been a little more helpful. The other two 6 pointers were won by Wingate and Horsham, who were already furthest ahead of us with a game in hand, so we're still 4 points behind them. On the plus side we're now level on points with Billericay and Carshalton with a game in hand, and it's always going to be funny when Billericay lose to two goals in the 5th and 9th minutes of stoppage time after leading 1-0 since the first 10 minutes. Enfield dropping 2 points at Margate was another useful result.
The angry gammon, Mark Baker must be bursting at Billericay 😂😂😂😂

They don't play again until they visit us next Saturday, so hopefully today's result has put another dent in their fragile confidence.

The bottom of the last 8 matches form table looks wonderful right now.

Screenshot_20240323_192330_Chrome.jpg

Good day out, Bognor have a good set up and people were friendly. New cover behind the bar end terrace since I last visited, a craft beer tent at £4 a pop with no charge for reusable plastic cups.

On the footballing front i thought Lakin did well, I'd be happy to continue with him for the rest of the season. Didn't really notice Deacon or the new defender.

Most people I spoke to thought first pen was soft, but for me it was a foul. Second one was in the box although highlights may show otherwise. Chambers looked had sealed the win but offside flag was up, must have been tight.

Excellent 3 points, especially when those around us lost.
Didn't think the first pen was soft either, just a daft challenge you could see coming a mile off. Second one was definitely in the box, despite the home players' comedy histrionics. No doubt they'll consider themselves robbed by the ref but they really weren't.

Back
Top Bottom