Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bluetooth, wifi, send-to-fm, repurposing old speakers and radios

Interesting yeah.

I'd love to test it all out with some APTX headphones. I DJ and use Aerodrums with wired cans still and if the latency can get to a point where I don't have to have a wire trailing from my head then that would be some achievement.
New Bluetooth Headphones especially have adopted these new codecs....I think gamers are a big market

It is done!

0ac464b0-ea42-4477-a11e-5e49c060f2e8.jpg

a1531842-3d13-424f-a70a-be0d9b7a54ea.jpg

The one tricky bit was sorting out the bottom panel to reupholster and cut bigger gaps for the speakers

My second time using a jigsaw! Need more practice

99eda5a4-0744-4fff-9b9b-c516d8fec485.jpg

fd549574-50f9-4e7d-aac1-9b800c5f2e34.jpg

The material is pretty thick - it's called ShweShwe, from South Africa - you can get radio fabric on eBay which is thicker still. I think thickness and sturdiness is necessary.
I'm happy with my material - I think its quite radio-y but it would be pretty simple to update it if fancying a change

I got a couple of warm white led strips, one to go along the bottom, and the other to light up the radio dial.
ddad3540-df4c-4897-9ae8-f1279530279a.jpg

around the back its a bit of a mess but works!
6590849f-5729-4e94-bb82-048b65e48f0c.jpg

Theres the soundbar which faces out to the wall
In all honesty, at a very low volume its okay, but turned up it spoils the sound - you get what you pay for. I'm going to keep an eye out on ebay and see if i can find something better that fits in there.
the good thing is its out of sight so you can buy a really scratched up one for cheap. the problem im having is one thats short enough (under 70cms) - the best ones tend to be bigger
all the old valves are still in there, plus now three aerials for AM, FM and DAB...plus lights

TBH streaming radio sounds far better than FM and DAB, but its there anyway. Could be useful when WW3 breaks out
220c4600-8b25-4633-bc1d-092cecc37917.jpg

Last edited:
It does have a nice warm glow with the house lights down low...

71f4d26c-75e5-4a76-94e8-ad3244a71ed8.jpg

dcf6194b-a115-4b4e-a007-fdb96080f418.jpg

96c266d8-e8bb-4635-894a-63b97da7b369.jpg

I think its been successful!
When i first sound checked it it was in a more carpeted and muffled room, and it sounded great there
In this room its a bit more bare and wooden and isn't quite as nice a sound in all honesty, but I'm tweaking and getting it sounding better
Good though these Q 2010s speakers are, they are only bookshelf so you can't expect much beyond their class - having the bassbin off to the side really does make a huge difference to filling out the sound. Ive got it tucked behind the adjacent chair.
The speaker position, just off the floor isn't really ideal - speakers should be at ear height. Ive tried to tilt them pointing up just a little. Something to think about in any future purchases!
You can definitely compensate for that by having a good quality soundbar - ideally sat on the top - or hopefully tucked in the back will be as good,
But Im loving it - the room is small and I don't have a TV which is often the focus of a living room, and now this is a bit like having a fireplace - definitely has a hearth feel to it.

Last edited:
It does have a nice warm glow with the house lights down low...

View attachment 259147

View attachment 259149

View attachment 259148

I think its been successful!
When i first sound checked it it was in a more carpeted and muffled room, and it sound great there
In this room its a bit more bare and wooden and isn't quite as nice a sound in all honesty, but I'm tweaking and getting it sounding better
Good though these Q 2010s speakers are, they are only bookshelf so you can't expect much beyond their class - having the bassbin off to the side really does make a huge difference tp filling out the sound. Ive got it tucked behind the adjacent chair.
The speaker position, just off the floor isn't really ideal - speakers should be at ear height. Something to think about in any future purchases!
You can definitely compensate for that by having a good quality soundbar - ideally sat on the top - or hopefully tucked in the back will be as good,
But Im loving it - the room is small and I don't have a TV which is often the focus of a living room, and now this is a bit like having a fireplace - definitely has a hearth feel to it.
Superb.

It is done!

View attachment 259139

View attachment 259140

The one tricky bit was sorting out the bottom panel to reupholster and cut bigger gaps for the speakers

My second time using a jigsaw! Need more practice

View attachment 259141

View attachment 259142

The material is pretty thick - it's called ShweShwe, from South Africa - you can get radio fabric on eBay which is thicker still. I think thickness and sturdiness is necessary.
I'm happy with my material - I think its quite radio-y but it would be pretty simple to update it if fancying a change

Brilliant job! Love it.

im missing looking at old radio and radiograms on ebay...just had a peak for fun

this is in Preston, current bid £8 - interested killer b ?
s-l1600.jpg

this beauty just £1! Surrey, no reserve
s-l1600.jpg

im missing looking at old radio and radiograms on ebay...just had a peak for fun

this is in Preston, current bid £8 - interested killer b ?
s-l1600.jpg

this beauty just £1! Surrey, no reserve
s-l1600.jpg

I like that Surrey one, you got a bid on it?

THis guy Jeff in the states is building tv cabinets like this with all new components, has LED screen I think, soundbar in the bottom and a draw for dvd players or whatever else
boxxx.png

Really want one, wish I had the woodwork skill to build myself, he shows how to do it, its fairly easy

box.png

wall mounted version

boxx.png

Some poeple have had a go at taking old tv sets and taking out the tube and relacing the inards but its pretty complicated and hard to get perfect

Back
Top Bottom