Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bluetooth, wifi, send-to-fm, repurposing old speakers and radios

It's a shame Google discontinued their audio Chromecast, that would have made it easy to connect to a small amp and speaker setup.

If you did gut the insides you could put a Google Nest speaker or Alexia equivalent and then have it as a smart cabinet.

It's a shame Google discontinued their audio Chromecast, that would have made it easy to connect to a small amp and speaker setup.

If you did gut the insides you could put a Google Nest speaker or Alexia equivalent and then have it as a smart cabinet.
I think Nest (e.g. Nest Mini, about £27) can delegate its audio playback to another, better Bluetooth audio system.

You need to supply 12V to this in a fairly raw way, it becomes a bit of a pain. We had some at work with separate PSUs. You should be able to buy a fairly cheap hifi receiver that does Bluetooth and makes a nice job of it.
i think not all the FM-sender things are 12V, i think there are home use ones too, will search later

They still work
I think Nest (e.g. Nest Mini, about £27) can delegate its audio playback to another, better Bluetooth audio system.

No 3.5mm jack out, which is a shame. I can why they wouldn't bother, but frustrating when they stopped doing the Chromecast audio. I've got a few of them and the real joy is that you can use them with kit from before Bluetooth was invented, but still sounds great.

This looks quite good as a home Bluetooth to FM transmitter - rechargeable batteries/microUSB for power, very low latency , can autopower off if USB is off, can be placed right next to the radio so distance isn't an issue
only question is the sound quality
ive sent them an email with some searching questions :D

Another fun thing to search for on Ebay is RADIOGRAMS, though i dont want one with a deck

Check out how amazing this smiley badboy is

love the facial expressions

s-l1600.jpg

POW!!!!

s-l1600.jpg

:D

This is kind of in the ballpark as has FM
I wonder what these things sound like

s-l1600.jpg

That Radiogram is absolutely awesome.

it’s reminding me of a cartoon or video game character but I can’t quite place it. (2nd shot)

I can see it but unfortunately I can’t google a minds eye picture and my drawing isn’t up to the task.

That Radiogram is absolutely awesome.

it’s reminding me of a cartoon or video game character but I can’t quite place it. (2nd shot)
Yeah, definitely also get that reminiscent brain itch without quite being able to place it.

Probably isn't it, but sort of reminds me of a particular set of Happy Meal toys from when I was a kid that were sort of Transformer versions of McDonalds products, like a milkshake or chips or burger or whatever.

ive seen a lot of old radios today :D
has reminded me that west dulwich has an old radio museum - suddenly seems very appealing
i will go when covid allows
need to work out what the most recent year is where you could get a radio which was in a great wooden box and had big cones - at some point i think the later 60s it all switches to little transistor radios
img_1293.jpg

anyone know how to get a speaker wire into a port like this?
looks kind of banana plug-ish, but i dont know what 1960s standard was for this kind of thing

s-l1600.jpg

also ive been looking at some 70s tuners and they seem to have double outputs, two for left, two for right. on a sony i saw it say HI and LOW next to each output... ?? Any ideas on that?
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Not quite the same but I used an echo input connected to the aux in of my old 90s era pioneer system. this worked as I am already paying for a streaming service. However the input just stopped working. I’ve tried reconnecting it several times and it’s not having it. I don’t use that stereo much but I should really sort this out because it’s just a big box doing nothing otherwise.

In fact this thread has inspired me to give it another go. I think I have a Bluetooth receiver somewhere, in a box, but preferred the echo option.

looks kind of banana plug-ish, but i dont know what 1960s standard was for this kind of thing

s-l1600.jpg

also ive been looking at some 70s tuners and they seem to have double outputs, two for left, two for right. on a sony i saw it say HI and LOW next to each output... ?? Any ideas on that?
s-l1600.jpg
I don't know about the one above but high & low is for bi-wiring. Two outputs on the amp, two inputs on the speaker. One to the woofer, one to the tweeter. Made a rhyme there. If you didn't want to bi-wire you could just bridge the inputs on the speaker and connect to one output on the amp, I don't know which was preferred.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
They are banana plugs sockets at the top.
The banana plug was a really scabby bit of design. Obsolescence was built in so you bought more.
The second pic shows biwired speaker outputs? I could be wrong. Nice thread btw.

Oh yeah this has also reminded me I bought a bug off eBay once. A little FM transmitter about 3cm square, could fit in a Matchbox. with a built in microphone and aerial. leave it in a room, go nextdoor tune your radio into it. Fun more than actually serious espionaging. :D

s-l1600.jpg
i think the high and low level outputs on old 70s tuners would both be line level outputs, one with a slightly higher output for amplifiers with fussy line level inputs

Back
Top Bottom