Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Blade Runner 2049

Watched it at the weekend and it was good.

The Gosling is a bad actor though, could have replaced him with a balloon with a face painted on it. :thumbs:

Watched it at the weekend and it was good.

The Gosling is a bad actor though, could have replaced him with a balloon with a face painted on it. :thumbs:

e5e9479cfa2e489c9ef363f0c6539510.jpg

I think I like this more than the original ....maybe the continual cut versions have diluted the import of the original

The sapper fight in the pre short should have been in the film ...it sets the film up nicely

I thought playing a replicant was an ideal fit for his acting style, namely imitating a cardboard cutout of himself.

Leto's scenery-chewing by contrast was the low point of the movie.
This is true. Both points.

Leto's scenes are the only thing that lets this work down. I don't know who to blame though. The actor or the director.

This is true. Both points.

Leto's scenes are the only thing that lets this work down. I don't know who to blame though. The actor or the director.

The bit with him murdering the new replicant was a bit much. It's already clear at that point that we're dealing with a mad bastard, but up until that moment he's a mad bastard explaining the rational basis for his actions. Then he does something completely pointless and irrational. Bad writing IMO.

The bit with him murdering the new replicant was a bit much. It's already clear at that point that we're dealing with a mad bastard, but up until that moment he's a mad bastard explaining the rational basis for his actions. Then he does something completely pointless and irrational. Bad writing IMO.
I'm reminded of the Charles Dance scene in Game of Thrones where he is explaining the facts of life whilst skinning a deer. Powerful in the book but omg even more powerful the way Dance delivers it.

I think they were trying to do something similar but failed spectacularly. Then failed again by not leaving it on the cutting room floor.

I'm reminded of the Charles Dance scene in Game of Thrones where he is explaining the facts of life whilst skinning a deer. Powerful in the book but omg even more powerful the way Dance delivers it.

I think they were trying to do something similar but failed spectacularly. Then failed again by not leaving it on the cutting room floor.

Got a point there. I mean, Leto didn't bother me that much but how amazing would it be, having Dance in the role...

See, I didn't think that was particularly bad and think the character and acting was ok, if a bit Jim Morrison from Wayne's World 2.

What put me off is that he's supposedly a bellend and sex pest in real life. And his shit band.

I thought he was trying to create one that could give birth.

Yes it is.
It wasn't the reason for that brutality.
She didn't meet his subjective criteria of perfection was his stated rational.
We were supposed to surmise that its actually just because he is a twisted fuck not his rationalisation (cause there was nothing wrong with her).
We are also meant to be disturbed by his assistant's distinct lack of giving a shit that he just killed her.

It wasn't the reason for that brutality.
She didn't meet his subjective criteria of perfection was his stated rational.
We were supposed to surmise that its actually just because he is a twisted fuck not his rationalisation (cause there was nothing wrong with her).
We are also meant to be disturbed by his assistant's distinct lack of giving a shit that he just killed her.
Wallace is trying to make replicants that can have babies. That one couldn't have babies.

New facial features? He killed her by cutting her womb after examining her. He makes a speech about needing replicant babies.

New facial features? He killed her by cutting her womb after examining her. He makes a speech about needing replicant babies.
Yeah she's like here's a new model we made, good init.

He's like yeah like I give a fuck none of em can make babies.
Eviserates her to prove point. It's not like you can see just by looking at a womb.

It's just underlining how obsessed he is at uncoverering how his predecessor achieved it by hunting down the child.

finally found a decent stream on the net for this, twice I have tried to watch it now but only managed a third at best so far, it is quite slow but does share the atmosphere of the original.

Goslin IMO is a good choice for the lead, I mean who else would you choose?

His preformance in Drive prob helped massively, a film i have watched a few times now.... slow but full of atmosphere and a good story and camera work.

Indeed. You could argue it was perfect casting in the same way Keanu Reeves was perfect to play Neo in The Matrix.

A lot of people don't seem to get that ironing out the human/emotional traits of the blade runners has been one of the overriding aims of replicant production. They just want another Roy Batty character, which would've been a daft, cliched plot line.

I wish they'd do a prequel to Bladerunner - I reckon the story about how the replicants made it back to earth would make a great story. Trouble is how could you replace Rutger Hauer as Batty?

Last edited:
you could talk about Kipple and world war terminus in anime. In fact all of PK Dicks more surreal edges could go in there. Penfield Mood Organs :cool:

Back
Top Bottom