Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Black Lives Matter demos and protests UK, 2020-2021

Yeah.

I'm going to watch it properly later and savour it.

What's the name of that bunch in Bristol linked to the slave trade? Merchant something or other?

I remember trying to wreck their Ball back in 90s.

That was the Merchant Venturers.

I spent a night in the cells after that and later got to listen to the police lie in court. Also got threats and abuse in the post after the Western Daily Press published my name and occupation...which was nice of them.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

That was the Merchant Venturers.

I spent a night in the cells after that and later got to listen to the police lie in court. Also got threats and abuse in the post after the Western Daily Press published my name and occupation...which was nice of them.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
That stuff got very heavy very quickly and there was a few well serious OB threats after one of the clifton ones. Proper charges with proper time. If anyone thinks the local state is their friend because of a few hippies on the council, well, the telling of this tale should be enough.

And you're right about crowdfunding: that would raise a LOT. The council might find it embarrassing to prosecute.

I wonder when their next local elections are.

Looks like plod maybe be planning some knocks.

Avon and Somerset Police said they had launched an investigation to identify those “who clearly committed an act of criminal damage”.

There was mounting criticism over the failure of the police to intervene, but one officer told the BBC that it had been a tactical decision in order to prevent tension.

He said “You might wonder why we didn't intervene and why we just allowed people to put it in the docks we made a very tactical decision that to stop people from doing that act may have caused further disorder and we decided that the safest thing to do in terms of our policing tactics was to allow it to take place.

“Our policing style from the outset was low key, we were not able to get to the statue in time to protect it and once it had actually been toppled there was clearly a preplanned attempt to bring that down. They had grappling ropes and they had the right tools.

“So once it was down we made a decision the right thing to was to allow it to happen because what we did not want is tension.”

Its not the Council that would would prosecute for fines, its the Police. The fact that they didn't arrest was for 'tactical reasons', they can review CCTV and film footage and imagine that the Home Secretary could ask for an explanation of what they intend to do.

Its not the Council that would would prosecute for fines, its the Police. The fact that they didn't arrest was for 'tactical reasons', they can review CCTV and film footage and imagine that the Home Secretary could ask for an explanation of what they intend to do.

They could tell the home secretary they've been unable to identify the perpetrators. Which is something they're perfectly happy to do in other contexts. They could find that the pertinent CCTV footage had mysteriously disappeared, which also happens all the time.

They could tell the home secretary they've been unable to identify the perpetrators. Which is something they're perfectly happy to do in other contexts. They could find that the pertinent CCTV footage had mysteriously disappeared, which also happens all the time.
They probably hate her as much as anybody tbh. One could imagine that won't automatically dance to her strident tune and rather than open up a potential grief fest of pain for all concerned will be keen, as is the current parlance, to just "move on".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom