Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Birmingham new street station

wtfftw

melting like a toastie
Where's the thread? Or are there just casual mentions?

Anyway. It's alright innit? I like the bright bit with the roof bit. :thumbs:

I was there a couple of months ago and did think it was going to look better than on previous train changes, once it's finished. I only remember it being very low lit, sooty, tunnelly and oppressive before.

They've done a good job above ground. But there is no added capacity as a result of the upgrade - not for one additional train- and the platforms haven't been changed.

The Council and their 'partners' seem obsessed with the centre of the city at the expense of inner city areas and poor outlying areas. Their transport strategy is a classic case in point - new station and tram in the centre, nothing for the rest of the city.

They've done a good job above ground. But there is no added capacity as a result of the upgrade - not for one additional train- and the platforms haven't been changed.

The Council and their 'partners' seem obsessed with the centre of the city at the expense of inner city areas and poor outlying areas. Their transport strategy is a classic case in point - new station and tram in the centre, nothing for the rest of the city.
The platforms have/are being changed, but there is another years worth of work down there still to go.

As for capacity, they were always stuck on that. There is simply nowhere to put extra tracks in and out.

The platforms have/are being changed, but there is another years worth of work down there still to go.

As for capacity, they were always stuck on that. There is simply nowhere to put extra tracks in and out.

It's not about needing extra tracks as far as I understand it - it's that the station and it's platforms are at full capacity.

The wider point I am making is that large parts of the city still do not have a train/tram service and public transport consists entirely of unreliable buses on heavily congested roads. Most parts of the city still don't have proper cycle routes either.

The money spent on the station and the tram (almost £1 Billion) addresses none of that.

It's not about needing extra tracks as far as I understand it - it's that the station and it's platforms are at full capacity.

The wider point I am making is that large parts of the city still do not have a train/tram service and public transport consists entirely of unreliable buses on heavily congested roads. Most parts of the city still don't have proper cycle routes either.

The money spent on the station and the tram (almost £1 Billion) addresses none of that.
Yes the station is at capacity and the only way to increase that would be more platforms and more tracks in and out. But where would they go? The station is stuck underground with nowhere to go.

The trams are being extended - there will eventually be routes down into digbeth and one down broad street to Five Ways and potentially beyond. Will all take time though.

As for the roads, look around - there is a huge program currently underway at many of the major pinch points to ease congestion. This work is quite often why it's so congested :D

Yes the station is at capacity and the only way to increase that would be more platforms and more tracks in and out. But where would they go? The station is stuck underground with nowhere to go.

The trams are being extended - there will eventually be routes down into digbeth and one down broad street to Five Ways and potentially beyond. Will all take time though.

As for the roads, look around - there is a huge program currently underway at many of the major pinch points to ease congestion. This work is quite often why it's so congested :D

On the station as I understand it the need is for more platforms and yet a major and costly redevelopment to the station ignored this a) because HS2 will provide the extra capacity in due course (a debatable point to put it mildly and even if it happens not for another 15/20 years) and b) because the preference was to focus on retail space.

Digbeth and Broad Street/Five Ways will get a tram line by 2020 (I think). The cost of linking up the centre - Snow Hill, Bull Street, New Street has been £128 Million. By way of comparison Manchester has just extended its tram by 9 miles and put in an extra 20 stops for £400 Million. Their tram has over 90 stops, 15 lines and covers huge swathes of the city and surrounding districts/towns. We have a line to Wolverhampton and soon the centre linked up (when it'll probably still be quicker to walk!)

As for the 'roads programme' if you can understand the 'plan' you are doing better than me!

Back
Top Bottom