Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Billionaires are evil

All billionaires are evil?

Not so sure - I view the likes of Bezos in different light to someone like Elon Musk.

So, since Bezos recently withdrew his US staff's health benefits, should Musk consider that some kind of "dirty" challenge?

I don't know about you but I fully support musk's spaceflight ambitions, the sooner he's launched towards the sun or towards alpha centauri the better

Sending Musk to the Sun would be a waste of expensive delta-V. I say we instead induct him into an ocean floor exploration program, issue him with a pair of osmium-lined boots, and let gravity do most of the work.

Do you have a link for that?

Sending Musk to the Sun would be a waste of expensive delta-V. I say we instead induct him into an ocean floor exploration program, issue him with a pair of osmium-lined boots, and let gravity do most of the work.
This quote from the article is fucking hysterical
Last month, Amazon joined a number of other tech companies and Fortune 500 firms in signing a letter outlining the purpose of a corporation as something not just designed to return shareholder value, but also to serve employees and the community. "Each of our stakeholders is essential," the pledge read. "We commit to deliver value to all of them, for the future success of our companies, our communities and our country."

The level of vile greed Bezos continues to brazenly display never ceases to amaze me.

worth is $13 billion, which he achieved on July 20, 2020. He made $542 million per hour, $9.0 million per minute, and $150,463 per second that day.

The bottom line is that Bezos is a sociopath who is motivated by perpetual expansion and the thrill of fucking over humanity in the process.

Today I had to pick something up from the new Amazon ultra mega structure fulfilment centre in Darlington - for directions I was told to just head to the A66 and I wouldn’t be able to miss it as it dwarfs the skyline.

8B105751-3053-4A32-8088-FC51529A2AEA.jpeg

This photo I took doesn’t really do justice to its expanse.

Going in there are signs at the entrance saying ‘remember, every day is day one’ along with other propaganda. The whole place reminded me of watching programmes about American super max prisons as they level of security is absurd.

On the way back to my depot I passed another Amazon mega structure/centre still under construction next to Durham services on the A1. There seems to be no end in sight for Bezos and his crusade for world domination.

I wouldn’t give up on the sun plan, but rather than waste a rocket just use people power. Get a head start by taking him up to the top of a tall building or mountain, and just fling him as hard as possible at the sun. Make it an honest effort, use someone really good at throwing, say a contestant from world’s strongest man, give it their best shot.

Twelve US Billionaires Have a Combined $1 Trillion
A Disturbing Milestone in the Concentration of U.S. Wealth
August 17, 2020

To put this into perspective, global GDP is 80 trillion USD, so those 12 people own 1.2% of global GDP. That is roughly equal to the entire economy of Indonesia, a middle income country of 270 million people.

Apple have recently passed the 2 trillion valuation. Amazon, Microsoft, Alphabet (Google) and Apple together are worth the nearly 6 trillion - making them equal to 7% of global economic output, close to 20% of Europe's entire GDP, and about equal to the combined GDPs of the entire continents of Africa and South America, and about double the entire Indian economy. If the 4 companies together formed a country, they would be the third largest economy in the world, and not far off half the size of the entire Chinese economy.

When you are dealing with levels of wealth comparable not to entire countries but to entire continents, and these continent sized companies do not contribute taxation, then you have a problem.

But, Jeff Bezos provides employment for thousands of people and enables millions of people to buy lots of stuff without leaving home. He even keeps an eye on what you say as well as spend pennies on in order to sell you even more stuff, no pointless advertising.

To put this into perspective, global GDP is 80 trillion USD, so those 12 people own 1.2% of global GDP. That is roughly equal to the entire economy of Indonesia, a middle income country of 270 million people.

Apple have recently passed the 2 trillion valuation. Amazon, Microsoft, Alphabet (Google) and Apple together are worth the nearly 6 trillion - making them equal to 7% of global economic output, close to 20% of Europe's entire GDP, and about equal to the combined GDPs of the entire continents of Africa and South America, and about double the entire Indian economy. If the 4 companies together formed a country, they would be the third largest economy in the world, and not far off half the size of the entire Chinese economy.

When you are dealing with levels of wealth comparable not to entire countries but to entire continents, and these continent sized companies do not contribute taxation, then you have a problem.
Is that comparison valid ? Surely wealth (in terms of $ assets that exist) is not comparable with GDP, which is the amount of money annually generated by an economy. Surely a more valid comparison would be with the income enjoyed by these rich people. Otherwise it's like comparing the value of my house with your annual wages.

Attempts are made to calculate the worth of countries in terms of assets (natural, intellectual, real estate, financial, etc.) but it's not an easy task. However Credit Suisse calculates Global wealth to be $361 Trillion, which is rather larger that Global GDP of $80 Trillion, putting the 12 rich guys' ownership share of planet Earth at 0.3%.

Still seems like quite a lot.

But there is another point worth bearing in mind: much of this new wealth has been created because of the existence and activities of the companies involved. For instance, in the last few months, I've benefited to the tune of tens of thousands of pounds from the trebling in the value of Tesla. This money that did not exist before has also flowed to Musk, and to many pension and investment funds, with their millions of customers. This is fresh, new wealth, and one thing is clear: it has not been stolen from anybody else - it has come into existence. In the absence of Tesla (or Amazon, Apple, Google, etc.), the billionaires in question would not exist, but global net assets would also be a few trillion smaller.

But there is another point worth bearing in mind: much of this new wealth has been created because of the existence and activities of the companies involved. For instance, in the last few months, I've benefited to the tune of tens of thousands of pounds from the trebling in the value of Tesla. This money that did not exist before has also flowed to Musk, and to many pension and investment funds, with their millions of customers.

This is fresh, new wealth, and one thing is clear: it has not been stolen from anybody else - it has come into existence. In the absence of Tesla (or Amazon, Apple, Google, etc.), the billionaires in question would not exist, but global net assets would also be a few trillion smaller.
Of course it's stolen from everyone else. Wealth is derived from labour.

But there is another point worth bearing in mind: much of this new wealth has been created because of the existence and activities of the companies involved. For instance, in the last few months, I've benefited to the tune of tens of thousands of pounds from the trebling in the value of Tesla. This money that did not exist before has also flowed to Musk, and to many pension and investment funds, with their millions of customers. This is fresh, new wealth, and one thing is clear: it has not been stolen from anybody else - it has come into existence. In the absence of Tesla (or Amazon, Apple, Google, etc.), the billionaires in question would not exist, but global net assets would also be a few trillion smaller.

This is economically illiterate

Is that comparison valid ? Surely wealth (in terms of $ assets that exist) is not comparable with GDP, which is the amount of money annually generated by an economy. Surely a more valid comparison would be with the income enjoyed by these rich people. Otherwise it's like comparing the value of my house with your annual wages.

Attempts are made to calculate the worth of countries in terms of assets (natural, intellectual, real estate, financial, etc.) but it's not an easy task. However Credit Suisse calculates Global wealth to be $361 Trillion, which is rather larger that Global GDP of $80 Trillion, putting the 12 rich guys' ownership share of planet Earth at 0.3%.

That’s interesting.

So, if I bought shares in Amazon then technically Bezos now works for me? 🤔

Amazon hasn't created any new wealth, they've consolidated sales that would have been made by someone else so that they are effectively via them, True total consumer spending has gone up over Amazon's existence but population and disposable income growth generally have driven that not any action by Bezos.
Tesla have definitely created new wealth they haven't stolen it off anyone and it didn't exist before, the thing is while no-one can deny that Musk has played a key role in this creation, he isn't the only one. Tesla engineers and developers, the workers assembling them and the countless people in Tesla supply chain have played a part. Indvidually Musk is the most significant person in this process but he hasn't done everything himself yet he is the one who has ended up with all the credit and pretty much all the wealth too.

oh i'm not talking about the ethics of share ownership now, i'm talking about the abysmal ethics you display here on a daily basis with your shitty rw links. you are already ethically bankrupt.

Yawn.

Do you mind keeping on topic and refraining from your bore inducing personal attacks?

Back
Top Bottom