Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best riff ever

Off the top of my head:

QOTSA - No One Knows Song for the Dead
MUSE - Citizen Erased or Stockholm Syndrome
Motorhead - We are the Road Crew
Cavalli - Drum Destroyer

E2A: I embedded Cavalli because they're personal mates and they deserve your fuckin' attention. These other guys already got all the kudos they need. I also honestly think that they're face-meltingly good.

Edit 2: Actually fuck No One Knows. It's a great song and probably the most memorable hook, but if you want to talk riffs then you need to be looking at Song for the Dead, imo.

Last edited:
It's an insanely broad question when you think about it. Eg. most hip hop songs are riff based. That may not be part of the hip hop lingo but it's nevertheless the case. Eg. Me Myself and I as an IMO good one.

Off the top of my head:

QOTSA - No One Knows Song for the Dead
MUSE - Citizen Erased or Stockholm Syndrome
Motorhead - We are the Road Crew
Cavalli - Drum Destroyer

E2A: I embedded Cavalli because they're personal mates and they deserve your fuckin' attention. These other guys already got all the kudos they need. I also honestly think that they're face-meltingly good.

Edit 2: Actually fuck No One Knows. It's a great song and probably the most memorable hook, but if you want to talk riffs then you need to be looking at Song for the Dead, imo.

Surprised you didn't go for something from Horse Pickup

Maybe not the best but very probably the longest goes to Gentle Giant's The House The Street The Room. It takes you on a little journey before starting over again.
I quite like it when riffs do this, sometimes. the riff that comes in after the breakdown keeps sounding like it is going to just repeat but then goes off somewhere else for a bit

I quite like it when riffs do this, sometimes. the riff that comes in after the breakdown keeps sounding like it is going to just repeat but then goes off somewhere else for a bit

Yeah that's cool. Not quite what I meant though. In the one I was talking about the actual phrase that gets repeated is four bars (16 beats) of slow rock long. I just find it amusingly daft.

Last edited:
Yeah that's cool. Not quite what I meant though. In the one I was talking about the actual phrase that gets repeated is four bars (16 beats) of slow rock long. I just find it amusingly daft.

yeh I listened to it! not sure if the dawn of humans one is 4 bars long exactly, but it does repeat, just it takes longer than you expect to repeat/

yeh I listened to it! not sure if the dawn of humans one is 4 bars long exactly, but it does repeat, just it takes longer than you expect to repeat/

Hmmm. I'm going to listen to that again.

I would call that a lengthy (power) chord progression rather than a riff or riffing, but I'm not exactly sure there is an absolute difference. Though whatever it is, I liked the energy lots.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom