Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best book on radical history

Enjoyable read, made me think about the role of travelling peddlers in spreading radical ideas in country districts:
The ranks of street sellers included men who had lost or quit jobs at factories and shops, women married to laborers, and children contributing to the family income. While most were very poor, Jankiewicz writes, many were happy to “be their own master.” As one bookseller put it, “I like the air; the street, the crowd; I like to speak and be heard.”

The ability to be heard was part of what made street sellers a political force. Their livelihood depended on being willing and able to draw attention to themselves, and a knack for assembling a crowd. Jankiewicz describes one 1859 case that became a media sensation, in which police removed an Irish woman named Mary Ann Donovan from the spot where she was selling combs. Donovan reportedly “tried to excite public sympathy, and collected a great crowd around her.” At her trial, Donovan boldly stood up to the presiding authority, Lord Mayor David Wire, denying insinuations she was a sex worker and attacking the city government for preventing her from making an honest living.

Dunno how good it is, but there's a new book on Makhno out:

Could've sworn I'd posted about the new book on the FAU somewhere, but can't for the life of me find it now - anyway, there's a new book on the Uruguayan Anarchist Federation (FAU), 56-76:
And, if you'd like to listen a recording of the launch event, here you go:

Started listening to that podcast about the FAU, already had my mind blown by learning that Fray Bentos is in fact named after a town in Uruguay. Did everyone else know this?
Also enjoyed learning about this action from the 1969 banktellers' strike:
1703848344895.png
(from the description I heard in the podcast it sounded like the group were bank workers themselves, unless I misunderstood or am misremembering. Sadly I suppose most banks have more than one computer nowadays so you'd need a lot of work to have the same effect.)

Having now listened to almost all of that podcast, there's a great detail in there about when the FAU/OPR kidnapped an unpopular but very rich businessman and received a $10 million ransom, which was apparently the result of a misunderstanding where they'd asked for dos millones de dolares but the person on the other end of the phone heard it as diez millones de dolares.

Less entertainingly, there's also a grimly fascinating bit about how after a military coup in Uruguay they went into exile in Argentina, which is one of those tragic things like Spanish Civil War exiles fleeing to France. Apparently most of the people who survived that period only did so because the dictatorship in Uruguay wanted to present itself as still fighting the leftist threat, so they arranged with the Argentine junta to have some of their captured anarchists sent over to Uruguay so the Uruguayan authorities could stage a triumphant arrest of them. Some of the ones who went through that survived, the ones that were kept in Argentina didn't.

Also, bit of an interesting mismatch between the presenter and audience there, at least judging from the questions, which seem to be disproprotionately coming from extremely drippy post-structuralist anti-organisation types.

Dunno how good it is, but there's a new book on Makhno out:
Thanks to your post I bought this for the OH. I'll let you know what he thinks.

I'm getting that for my birthday tomorrow. I'll report back.
Just finished No Harmless Power. A good quick easy read. It put Makhno in his historical context and personal context within that history. I hadn't come across that before in my reading (which doesn't necessarily say much). The book didn't really explain anarchism, which would be a problem for the uninitiated, but not for others. Its conversational tone is different to your averages historical tome. It works to an extent. Whether any of my Marxist friends would react well to his slagging off of the Bolsheviks I'm not so sure. I mean, they deserve a good slagging off, but that's more for a conversation in the pub with your mates than in a book. Better maybe to explain with some examples why the likes of Lenin, Trotsky and Stalin were all of the same murderous ilk. Enjoyed it nonetheless.

Yet another one to add to the massive list of "anarchist history books that sound interesting but I've not got around to acquiring, let alone reading, yet":

Started listening to that podcast about the FAU, already had my mind blown by learning that Fray Bentos is in fact named after a town in Uruguay. Did everyone else know this?
Also enjoyed learning about this action from the 1969 banktellers' strike:
View attachment 406288
(from the description I heard in the podcast it sounded like the group were bank workers themselves, unless I misunderstood or am misremembering. Sadly I suppose most banks have more than one computer nowadays so you'd need a lot of work to have the same effect.)
I thought fray bentos was in Argentina. :oops:

On the same trip I randomly walked past an alley named after anarchist Antonio Soto.

We think this one is good
Blind Spot : Manuel Huet and the libertarian underground in France by Imanol (translated by Paul Sharkey)
"Manuel ‘Manolo’ Huet Piera was part of the anarcho-syndicalist action groups in the years before the Spanish Revolution, fought in the Spanish Civil War and worked in the Ponzán network smuggling escapers and refugees out of Vichy France during the Second World War. After the war, Huet continued to aid the resistance to Francoism where, until now, his contribution was necessarily unacknowledged."
Blind Spot : Manuel Huet and the libertarian underground in France

Back
Top Bottom