Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best book on radical history

Crimble crumble.
What's the best book on radical history? Thanks. Also not too difficult as I actually want to read it not have it sit on my shelves for years. Something by Chomsky perhaps? But which one?

Thanks.

If you take into account who wrote it and the biases that go with it (SWP) Chris Harman's a people's history of the world isn't a bad read and easily digestable.

Not sure about best, but these could all provide a way in:

P Linebaugh and M Ridecker, The Many Headed Hydra - revolutionary struggles against the Atlantic trade
CLR James, The Black Jacobins - Revolution in Haiti
EP Thompson, The Povery of Theory - Less a history book, but a good one by an historian
WJ Fishman, Eastend Jewish Radicals

Agreed, Fishman's book is very good. A later era covering anti fascism in the same locality is Joe Jacob's excellent "Out of the Ghetto ".

Um, something of a niche interest...but might appeal to you, 8115, is 'With One hand Tied behind Us' bu Jill Lidlington and Jill Norris. Ostensibly, a history of women's suffrage but with far less concentration on the Pankhursts et al and rather more on women's textile workers (cotton, lace, wool) in Lancashire, Nottinghamshire, Yorkshire including the struggle to organise and the often slightly uneasy relationships with the nascent Labour Party. Being old enough to have done a turn in a Lancashire cotton mill, I found this social history (herstory) from below rather refreshing.

Agreed, Fishman's book is very good. A later era covering anti fascism in the same locality is Joe Jacob's excellent "Out of the Ghetto ".

I was thinking of that one too, but it turned into another whole list of memoirs by historical actors and other old books that weren't necessarily works of history when they were written.

Um, something of a niche interest...but might appeal to you, 8115, is 'With One hand Tied behind Us' bu Jill Lidlington and Jill Norris. Ostensibly, a history of women's suffrage but with far less concentration on the Pankhursts et al and rather more on women's textile workers (cotton, lace, wool) in Lancashire, Nottinghamshire, Yorkshire including the struggle to organise and the often slightly uneasy relationships with the nascent Labour Party. Being old enough to have done a turn in a Lancashire cotton mill, I found this social history (herstory) from below rather refreshing.

Louise Raw's Striking a Light, about the Bryant and May matchwomen's strike, is also a good one on the lives of working women around the same period. Does a good job of challenging some lazy assumptions about women's place in labour history, while displacing the middle-class figure of Annie Besant from a leadership position too.

Louise Raw's Striking a Light, about the Bryant and May matchwomen's strike, is another good one on the lives of working women around the same period. Does a good job of challenging some lazy assumptions about women's place in labour history, while displacing the middle-class Annie Besant from a leadership position too.

Cheers, eoin.
Phossy jaw.

Cheers, eoin.
Phossy jaw.

The way she uncovered their style and charivari, along with the suggestion that it possibly riffed off American abolitionism, caught my imagination more than the occupational health hazards. That and the statue in Bow of Gladstone with his hands still bloodstained today, historic memory in action.

Last edited:
The making of the English working class by EP Thompson is about the best piece of radical history I've ever read. If your interest is english/British history it could be a good place to start.

I agree. This is the go to book for an explanation of English (not British for reasons he goes into) working class history and a rigorous examination of the foundational texts and issues that led to a proto working class becoming a working class in itself.

I’d also recommend the Hobsbawm trilogy for the same reasons.

I agree. This is the go to book for an explanation of English (not British for reasons he goes into) working class history and a rigorous examination of the foundational texts and issues that led to a proto working class becoming a working class in itself.

I’d also recommend the Hobsbawm trilogy for the same reasons.
Bandits by Hobsbawm is great too if you want something a bit different. Robin Hood and social banditry :cool:

“The Anarchists of Casals Viejas” by Jerome Mintz is a great piece of history, of historical detective work, of anthropology. It also gives a genuine voice to Spanish anarchist working people, refuting many myths and lies along the way. A great stocking filler at this festive time of year etc

The poverty of theory - which i’ve just finished - is a brilliant read both in terms of characterising the endless psychodrama’s of the left and also a defence of Marxism, objectivity and history from below and against the post-modernists

Funnily enough I was reading that the other day to provide a critique to my own tendencies towards relativism, postmodernism and other "continental" traits that I've picked up in academia. Didn't convince me, but was a good, quotable, read!

I wonder if this is the year I'll finally get around to reading the copy of Making Of... that I've had sitting on my bedside table since around 2016 or so?

Back
Top Bottom