Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Becoming an accidental landlord while on benefits?

AnnO'Neemus

Is so vanilla
My job ended last year (not Covid-related, it was a short-term contract) and so I've been in receipt of benefits, I get UC, the higher rate due to being unable to work due to ill health at the moment, and they don't hassle me to do job searches and stuff.

My mental health, which was already very shaky, has taken a massive dive due to housing problems.

I might be able to get away soon-ish and try to distance myself and sort my head out if I rent out my flat.

What would happen to my benefits if I received rent?

I know if I had a lodger, the income would be disregarded for UC purposes and also tax-free under the Rent-a-Room scheme for HMRC purposes.

But what about renting out my whole flat and moving somewhere else? I mean, I know I'd have to declare it and they'd consider it income, but how would that work?

Would they just say:

You've received, say, £500 in rental income, so we'll deduct that whole amount from your entitlement?

Or would I have to sort of do it as a self-employed landlord kind of scenario, keep books, along the lines of I received... let's say a round number of £500 rental income, but had to pay £60 service charge and £15 insurance, so my net income this month is £425. And then the next month, maybe I received £500, but paid service charge £60, insurance £15, but also had a repair bill of £150 to fix something that broke, so I only made £275 in month 2, iyswim?

I mean, if someone was, say, a self-employed whatever who received £500 for a job, but had to fork out £30 for some spare parts, but also had to get their van that they use for work MOT'd that week, would they be classed as earning £500? Or £500 - £30 - £MOT = 'real earnings:?

And I know Urban traditionally hates capitalist bastard landlords, but I need to somehow get out of my awful housing situation.

(NB: I wouldn't be dropping anyone else into a terrible situation unsuspectingly, I'm not a cunt; there's someone who's looking for a place to rent who knows the history and is still potentially interested.)

And please don't give me a hard time for considering this. I've previously let lots of people stay in my flat for free, and have been taken advantage of. And I've also occasionally had paying lodgers (some wonderful, some arseholes).

I would be letting for well below market rent for the area. My main concern is that I actually need enough income to rent somewhere else myself. (I know I would not be entitled to housing element of UC, so it would have to come out of my 'earnings', but I don't know whether they'd treat all the rent as my income (because that would be paid into my bank account), or whether I'd have to do books and declare earnings after expenses. Oh, and tax, I'd probably have to pay tax at some point? I mean, if someone has a part-time job, DWP don't say You earned £500 we'll offset that against your UC this month, they'd say, you earned £500-tax & NI = £xxx, which we'll offset against your UC. Don't they?

Or should I set up a company and get the rent paid to the company and expenses paid by the company, and then the company pays me whatever's left over?

I don't have the foggiest clue so any helpful advice would be very much appreciated, thank you.

As soon as you're not living in it, any property is seen as capital (except in very specific circumstances around couples with kids to split up, and provision for family members who need care). Mortgage gets taken off the value. If you have more than £16k capital, you can't get UC. Benefits Calculator - entitledto - independent | accurate | reliable | www.entitledto.co.uk

Then, yes of course you'd have to register for tax on any rent (minus allowable expenses) Renting out your property
ETA obviously you only pay tax if your total income is more than the personal allowance.

Last edited:
Ah, right, shit. That makes sense. Thanks. I thought they'd just treat rental income as income.

I didn't think about the capital aspect at all, didn't occur to me as I don't think of it as money in the positive sense, more an albatross around my neck and something that costs me money. (Although now I think about it, being 'paper rich', because of the value of the flat, meant I couldn't get legal aid to get a solicitor to help deal with housing problems or nightmare neighbour antisocial behaviour.)

And yes, I knew I might have to pay tax on rental income, if it took me over personal tax allowance. I said I'd declare the income, wasn't intending to do anything dodgy at all.

If you own the property and rent it out while you're not living there you'll also be liable for Capital Gains Tax if/when you sell it. If you're only going to rent the place out for a year or two then the tax amount probably won't be much. You can find tax calculators online for this.

If you own the property and rent it out while you're not living there you'll also be liable for Capital Gains Tax if/when you sell it. If you're only going to rent the place out for a year or two then the tax amount probably won't be much. You can find tax calculators online for this.
Ah, yes, of course. That's something I'm aware of, but not an immediate consideration if I rent it out. Tbh, I'd be reluctant to sell. It's been my home for nearly two decades. My head says I need to leave for the sake of my sanity, but my heart doesn't want to leave my lovely flat.

There are significant CGT advantages to, if you do end up renting your place out, moving back in for (I think) 6 months before you sell it. HMRC treats selling the family home, which you've at some stage in the past rented out, much less harshly than selling an asset that you've owned purely in order to create income/investment.

The law in this field can be complex - you would be wise to seek professional advice.

Instead of letting it well below market rent and claiming UC, could you not let it at market rent and not claim UC.

Either way it’s very risky. What if the tenant stops paying?
Letting at below market rent is a possibility that's cropped up because someone I know is looking to rent round here, and they're not really in a position to pay full market rent for a property round here. So it would be kind of a mutually beneficial arrangement, an immediate solution/stop gap, really, because my flat isn't really worth the 'full market rent' for flats round here, as it needs some renovations and there's the issue of the nightmare neighbour, so I don't think I can rent it out for market rent, at least not until all that's resolved.

Since I first posted/created this thread, though, I've since done some sums, and I now reckon that even if I rented it out below market rent, I could still probably just about afford a studio or one bedroom flat and have enough to cover bills, just about, with very little left over for food and stuff, but there's Olio and I suppose I could resort to foodbanks. If that transpires, if I only have rental income, my income will be less than someone on UC would receive for rent and living expenses, so that's why I was thinking that I might be able to get a bit of a top up. But if I can't, I would need to get at least a part-time job to get by. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I want to rely on UC, it's not that I don't want to work.

Of course, I wouldn't want to claim UC if I didn't have to. It's just the reality of my situation over recent years. The sector that I've been working in tends to offer short term contracts 'renewable subject to funding' kind of thing, so I've had gaps in employment. It's easy to say 'Well, get any old job then!' and I've previously tried that, in fact years ago, I could job hop and get something else really quickly, but when you're a fat, middle-aged woman looking for part-time or full-time casual work in bars, cafes, shops or whatever, there's a lot of ageism and lookism and fatism about. I've been in a pub that has a sign in the window about vacancies, went in to enquire and a young tattooed trendy person has, literally, looked me up and down and told me they don't have any vacancies at the moment, even though there was literally an ad in the window saying there was. I applied for a part-time job at a cinema, thinking at least I'd get to watch free movies, but the two guys who were interviewing were probably in their twenties, and there were young girls applying - it was a mass interview kind of scenario, everyone turns up, fills in a form, then they call you over for a chat - needless to say, I didn't get the job, and it's kind of crushing when you've done lots of different jobs, some quite skilled, and yet you can't even get a job selling cinema tickets, ripping tickets on entry and picking up half empty popcorn buckets. I did lots of temping in my twenties, but the past couple of times I've registered with agencies, I've never got any work out of it. I had an interview at a local estate agent a couple of years ago, I was wearing a plain black shift dress, and I thought I looked sort of smart, but the guy who runs the place looked me up and down and said something along the lines of: Of course, you'd have to wear something smart like a skirt and a blouse. I didn't get the job. Ever since, I've looked through the window when I've passed and I've noticed that he tends to employ young, slim, pretty girls. When I was young, slim and pretty myself, I never realised how much those things were a factor in my being offered jobs, I assumed it was because of my skills and experience. Hahaha.

And I've also been in a bit of a Catch 22 situation: housing problems/neighbour problems have literally made me unable to work, sometimes, because they've been severe to the extent that I've been too mental to function, never mind work*. Hopefully, moving away from the situation, being able to sort my head out, will also mean I'm able to work without falling apart. I've previously had to give up a job due to neighbour nuisance stuff, and I've also been unable to follow up opportunities and have missed out, because of the impact on housing problems/neighbour problems on my mental health.

* I'm on a waiting list for therapy for PTSD and I've had a couple of short spells in a residential mental health unit due to feeling suicidal because of the housing problems/nightmare neighbour problems.

Have you considered house sitting? I don't think you get paid, but it would at least get you a change of scenery. I think it's mostly about looking after pets while people are away. And being middle aged would be a positive advantage! Not much of it around at the moment, of course, but once lockdown eases people will be travelling again.

Maybe just have a lodger, but get away for a while? As long as theyre understanding that you wont be around much.

Theres no rule against that.

Back
Top Bottom