Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

I've never fancied her and find her voice hectoring and annoying. She's got better on that Channel 4 thing but that's not saying much. Oh, and her band were shit as well.

It's her skin complexion for me, I find it almost mesmerising. You can forgive a lot for that. Mind you, after 10.0pm I find a lot of things mesmerising.

The above may not apply to Liz Kershaw.

All this getting down with the people shtick from Laverne et al is a load of old wank, really. But I guess that the way the Beeb want it to be when it comes to connecting with da yoof etc. Anyone familiar with the hell that was Reichsminister Jo Whiley on R1 in the morning - the insincerity of her made me want to eat penguins - "ya, wow, your band is so indie, right (said band being signed to Megacorp, inc)", or "wow, so urban, I'm really down with the R'n'B sound, Mary J Blige is my homegirl", will be well aware of the BBC's ability to pick a winner every time when it comes to the morning slots.

Frankly, I wish we could listen to Resonance FM at work :(

She has good taste but I can't stand that 'eeeyaaaa!' northern noise she makes.

the "friendly northern radio presenter" persona is quite grating, in the same sort of way as Sarah Cox, actually there's a whole heap of them annoying for very similar reasons (if you ignore the "northern" bit) Jo Whiley, Fern Cotton... and that's just the women, there's am ountain when you include the male ones

i suspect they are pitched as presenters "what-are-like-the-average-girl-who dones-shop-in h&m-but-listens-to-the-animal-collective" or something like that, and they probably play up to that persona... i refuse to believe they are that annopying in real life... but then again it is the meeja

there's also someone called Liz Kershaw, who was terrible... very much like a radio 1 presenter

liz kershaw is millions of times worse than laverne, agreed. quite an achievement.

ive actually felt compelled to email the show when shes been on politely asking her to shut the fuck up and play some MUSIC.

When Lauren Laverne was on XFM, if you phoned in for a comp, she'd usually answer the phone. This is according to my mate who was convinced he could use a succession of 90 second phone calls during records to chat her up enough to get her to leave her husband and child and marry him. It didn't work.

I don't find Liz Kershaw nearly as annoying as Lauren Laverne for some reason. I can actually listen to Liz Kerhaw, whilst acknowledging that she's a bit rubbish.

Sarah Cox does a sucking air through her teeth thing whenever she says something that is supposed to be funny. Once you notice it, it's impossible to listen.

Sarah Cox is the devil incarnate. She is unable to speak normally...everything she says is in a silly voice. And I don't mean her accent...it's just continuous silly voices, trying to be funny. Would though.

I was off last week so was listening to the radio quite a lot... I found myself shouting "just fuck off" to Lauren Laverne quite a lot, she is very annoying :D

I was off last week so was listening to the radio quite a lot... I found myself shouting "just fuck off" to Lauren Laverne quite a lot, she is very annoying :D
Yep. She's got an iPad and a Twitter account too and likes to tell us. All the time. Why-aye, I'm so quirky etc etc.

My solution - fire Laverne and get Harry Hayward from Resonance FM's "Calling All Pensioners" on.

"Apple Ice-Phone? Fackin' bastards!"

No, just this one particular DJ who happens to be a woman, actually.

And L Kershaw, Cox, Whiley et al mentioned previously. Even 6 banished poor Nemone to the early Sat slot.

Seriously though, I have gone off Laverne and I felt we were especially spoilt when we had the likes of Cerys or Huey filling in. Laverne's style is all banter and matey and for me seems more suited to R1 or CBEEBIES ;)

Nemone's all good, but Whiley's smug, I'm down with the indie kids/R&B queens/pop icons persona grates on me muchly.

My vote though goes to Mary Ann Hobbs - enthusiastic, knowledgeable and lets the music do the talking.

As long as they don't interfere with her right to choose the choonage, that's very good news. I presume XFM can be streamed live on t'internet? (For non-London peeps)
XFM comes burdened with festering ads. I can't listen to ads. Even the endless BBC radio idents bug me.

XFM comes burdened with festering ads. I can't listen to ads. Even the endless BBC radio idents bug me.

Ah, forgot about that. Mind you, XFM do podcasts - stupid question, but would the podcasts be ad-free, or they be full of Go Compare etc shite too?

(BTW, anyone remember that Branston pickle radio ad, which has Harry Hill singing about Branston's tasty tang to the feem choon of "Knees Up Mother Brown"? That was total :mad:)

Can't say I have much time for Laverne or Cox. I do like Nemone though and never minded Whiley either.

But Nemone and Whiley are so incredibly dullard. Jo Whiley especially as she has zero taste in music and just raves about whatever seems cool at the time in a vain attempt to seem credible. Both of them should take a leaf out of Huey's book.

Back
Top Bottom