Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bass reverberating problem

I've got a really annoying crackle coming through on one of my monitors on bassier sounds..... But cant see any damage to the bass speaker/cone.

Could something like that be cause by a dodgy mixer and cable connections (im using my housemates mixer to run my controller through and its a pretty knackered piece of kit).

Could be bass port turbulent noise? On my monitors I get some turbulent noise that is a bit annoying, but is generally unnoticeable when there's plenty of mid/ high content to mask it. But it doesn't sound like a crackle though... crackle suggests some damage or fault in the signal path, possibly overloading somewhere.

Could be bass port turbulent noise? On my monitors I get some turbulent noise that is a bit annoying, but is generally unnoticeable when there's plenty of mid/ high content to mask it. But it doesn't sound like a crackle though... crackle suggests some damage or fault in the signal path, possibly overloading somewhere.

Well a clicking/clip type sound when it really kicks.

I've only noticed it from my controller though, not from my housemates cdj's or (what will soon be my)1210's. And my housemate turns it up fucking loud (if it is speaker damage Ill be blaming him tbh).

Batboy said:
This is pretty much spot on,

Except egg boxes have little to do with sound leakage. In fact most sound treatments don't, they're for preventing room problems which lead to natural reverberation which fucks the integrity of those expensive near field reference monitors wrt mixing. Kind of.

My speakers are apparently booming out excessive bass to my housemates.
Anyone know of a way to stop this? I don't want to turn my music or bass down.

There are a few things I've done over the years to resolve this sort of problem:

• Get different housemates/neighbours by moving somewhere else
  • Encourage housemates/neighbours to get phat stereos capable of drowning mine out
  • Move to the middle of nowhere
  • Move in with or near people who I know who have already pre-disastered their neighbours with their own loud music - breakcore producers seem a particularly good choice for some reason
  • Move to site where no-one will care
  • Move to a house that has at least a 2k rig in the living room that's on all hours of the day and night, and take the room directly above
  • Lunch out/lend out/somehow lose anything louder than a sparrow's fart - I don't recommend this option
  • Move sound equipment or indeed myself to another room in the house or flat - which room is a judgement call based on who complains the most
  • Arrange certain times of the day or the week when rinse out volumes are acceptable - bit boring but if you don't want to move and you like your housemates...
This would probably work too: http://www.urban75.net/forums/threa...lf-an-audiophile.247521/page-39#post-12619162

im playing acid stuff so hardly any bass at all anyway...

I suspect your idea of "not much bass" is not in tune with a lot of people's.

This is a common problem. Apparently hip-hop does not count as chill out either. Who knew?

Also maybe explain to your neighbours about the fixed times in the week when you do radio shows and see if they are willing to compromise?

I outed the "breakbeat complainer" as I used to call them when I was living near the Q-club last year with a post on the FB group for our building. It included phrases like "so if you don't like loud music, heavy bass or breakbeats you may want to stay with friends that night" towards the end of what initially looked like a normal event share.

Cue scowls as exactly the person I thought it was walked past me on the way to the lift that evening, dragging her little trolley suitcase behind her.

Not sure if it would work for more regular shows or nights though.

Last edited:
My speakers are apparently booming out excessive bass to my housemates.
Anyone know of a way to stop this? I don't want to turn my music or bass down.

My speakers are currently on a table level with my decks, while the other is in a compartment of a vinyl shelf unit (one of those ikea Expedit that recently got discontinued). Its possible being inside the compartment might be amplifying the speaker...

The room has no windows but is carpeted. However the area the decks table is standing on is NOT carpeted.

Any tips on removing the excess bass?

I was thinking of getting some of those foam tiles and putting them on the wall behind the speaker.. what do you guys think?

I used to have an issue like this and i got around it by placing large pieces of blue tak under each speaker.It helped to control the boom. I placed it in each corner of the speakers base.

I used to have an issue like this and i got around it by placing large pieces of blue tak under each speaker.It helped to control the boom. I placed it in each corner of the speakers base.
Effectively home made speaker isolators

Back
Top Bottom