Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bangers chat

57DE853C-C321-4B4D-A771-EA4678A9BC26.png A thread to show up your old bangers, discuss bangernomics and gloat about how utterly fuckibg terrible and untwocable your wheels really are

One of current pair - 99 mondy- sub 40k , had it nearly 2 years, cv and belts changed when I got it, in the past year I have done 3500 r/t to Bosnia, a Berlin and an Amsterdam return.it doesnt doesn’t stop, recently treated it to a 99 vintage ford CD player as I was sick of the soft cell and levellers tapes I owned

17097617-429242924081973-596125542358165779-o.jpg

My 2004 Volvo S40 diesel. Bought for £1k a couple of years back as I was living back in London but still working in Cambridge so was doing nearly 600 miles a week. Did that for the best part of a year with the only thing going was a headlamp bulb.
Brilliantly smooth, comfortable, reliable and with 49-52mpg it's very economiical.

Heated seats for the Winter and ice cold air-con for the summer.

It has a much easier life now, just taking my mum out and shopping trips. Did less than 500 miles in the last year. :D

The mighty mondy, banned from the banger races of the uk, just too tough, even drivable with only 2 wheels so i'm told. I was very disappointed to find this out when the one I had got to selling time, as that was the plan... banger it. Terrific car, they shoulda just continued making it and stopped all future modells of all cars right then. Unfortunately for the motor industry most people would only need to buy a car every 20 years and that don't fit the plan, capitalism.

SkodaFabiaComfortn2.jpg

Bought it 3 years ago with 60k on it. Fsh, including cam change for £500. It's now 18 years old and even though I've treated it with complete contempt and more like a builders skip than a car, it's sailed through the last three MOT's with no problems.

I'm starting so see some scum in the expansion chamber, so I have a feeling the head gasket will be going at some point. Until then I'm gonna drive the fucker into the ground

17097617-429242924081973-596125542358165779-o.jpg

My 2004 Volvo S40 diesel. Bought for £1k a couple of years back as I was living back in London but still working in Cambridge so was doing nearly 600 miles a week. Did that for the best part of a year with the only thing going was a headlamp bulb.
Brilliantly smooth, comfortable, reliable and with 49-52mpg it's very economiical.

Heated seats for the Winter and ice cold air-con for the summer.

It has a much easier life now, just taking my mum out and shopping trips. Did less than 500 miles in the last year. :D
I've got the estate version of that. Yours sounds in better nick than mine :hmm: mine has some electrical haunting going on that drains the battery when the car's not running which we have circumvented by fitting a quick release battery lead clamp and unhooking the battery every time I park it.

It's not in bad nick at all, apart from a few scratches here and there that I was going to try and T-Cut out but never got around to doing.

No banger these days, but in the 80's I had a blue Lada while I was rebuilding my VW Beetle. It cost me £100, I drove it without any problems for a year and then sold it to a mate for £100. We never bothered locking it. It was the most reliable car I've ever had. He parked it up in Salford and one night someone scratched into the roof "Would have nicked it but it wasn't worth it".

Lada.JPG

Another Mondeo here. Ghia X estate. Vintage 2004, the last 9 years in my hands. About 92k miles total. 2-litre engine. Happy to cruise at 90+ where legal. A bit thirsty with petrol, but teetotal with all other fluids. Simple enough to maintain. Possibly the best car I've privately owned.

True story: the previous owner was a vicar. It was left to him by a parishioner, but the reverend didn't fancy it on the narrow country roads. I drive it almost exclusively on narrow country roads.

:)

I've had four Mondeo's over 13 years, all were bought with about 20k on the clock and the first three got to about 180k before I got rid - the last one got ploughed into by a fucknugget (Jaguar F-pace if you're interested..) and written off.

Lovely motors - I only got an avensis because I fancied a change...

No banger these days, but in the 80's I had a blue Lada while I was rebuilding my VW Beetle. It cost me £100, I drove it without any problems for a year and then sold it to a mate for £100. We never bothered locking it. It was the most reliable car I've ever had. He parked it up in Salford and one night someone scratched into the roof "Would have nicked it but it wasn't worth it".

View attachment 153977
They were good in their own way. I used to be able to get a cement mixer on the back seat

Light weight banger owners :p mines a 1984 60series landcruiser. Done 500,000 and that may have gone round the clock twice..

The roof is actually more than less held on with silver duct tape, it's a silver truck so I've just wrapped tape around it to cover the rust which is awful. A definite pull :oops:

No air-con other than the windows which require some muscle to shut, no radio, not even a fan.

But she doesn't miss a beat..

E8A7992D-8A73-42AC-8714-7EA45D23F8F1.jpeg

My first and only car, bought just under three years ago. Shown here in disgrace two weeks ago after the alternator packed up near Leicester while moving the contents of my house from Leeds to Bristol. Avensis D-4D estate with 181000 on the clock (less than 20000 done since we got it), primitive inbuilt satnav, numerous small dents and scrapes, red leather interior and a couple of screw holes in the bumper which strongly suggests it’s served time as a private hire vehicle. First MOT only required a lightbulb, the next set us back about a grand. Later this week I’ll find out what it’ll cost us this year.

On the plus side it does around 47mpg and you can fit a decent sized fridge freezer in the back with the seats down.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2, 5 door 69,000 miles.
Last MOT: CV Joint boot, this MOT the same.
I had it 3-4 years now, it let me down once, a corroded battery connector.
A great little motor, and it was a gift!

How many of you Mondeo owners have gaffer tape on your bumper?

(I thought of asking this before I checked the picture in the OP)
I had a mondeo for about ten years, my dad gave it to me. Just before he did his wife had reversed into a bollard and cracked the bumper. So it came with Romford Chrome already on it. And that didn't change over the next ten years. Occasionally I renewed it when it had shredded.

I couldn't give a fuck. It broke down once and went to the scrappy when it was about 18 years old. And I got a sofa in the back once, to the amazement of the bloke I picked it up from.

Rover 220 Sli-drove down to collect it from Cheltenham about ten years ago at which point it was already aged fifteen though in amazing nick.I drove it four years until the head gasket went.It then spent three years in the long grass before I grafted onto it the head from a Rover 45.Have to say it took me a long old while to accomplish that but I have already had another 70k miles out of it and I'm very happy with it.I have occasionally noticed other motorists laughing at me but what do they know?

Well mine didn't start its life with me as a banger - it was a (just) three-year-old 2.0ltr Jaguar X-type diesel with 80k'odd miles on the clock, costing £7 and a bit grand

Since then I've added a further 110k miles - I've also had a company car for 2 and a half years so the Jag was "off the road" for pretty much that time, apart from the odd run to keep the battery topped up - when the site I was managing closed down (and the subsequent loss of the company car) the Jag was pressed back into daily drive service

I've put the number plate and mileage into one of those "we buy any car" type websites and it's "worth" the princely sum of £350, so for that I'll keep it until it either dies in a spectacular manner, gets too expensive to fix or, when I've managed to put by sufficient money, I'll replace it, probably with another Jag but lower mileage

I had one of these. Probably the worst car I've owned. (Not actual picture).
1200px-1992-1995_Audi_80_%288C%29_2.0_E_sedan_%282018-08-06%29_01.jpg

Gearbox needed replaced when I bought it (I knew that - it's why it was £350), spent £400 and a couple of days touring scrappies to find it and get it installed. Then four weeks later the exhaust cracked, couldn't be welded, sounded like a squadron of WWII bombers taking off, and it was one of those whole system exhausts, so it was fucked. £900 for a new one. Got binned.

Best banger I owned (again, not actual image):
16266050217_27ae49100e_b.jpg

1990 plate (so almost right picture wise) AX Diesel 1.5. Bought it for £350, did nothing to it and did 17,000 miles in it before it seized up on the A9 because I forgot to put oil in. RAC guy came out and opened the bonnet, looked for half a second, said 'Nope', and shut the bonnet again. 'You know your crank rod?' he says. 'Kind of', says I. "It's not inside your engine anymore" says he. It was slow as hell, had no acceleration and the keys used to fall out the ignition if you went round the corner too fast, but it was a great car. All the radio stations sounded like they were being beamed from the 1970s, too.

Eta: The car stayed running when the keys came out. You could also start it with basically any citroen key from the same era.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom