Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bands with geographically misleading names

There was an American early funk metal band called Kings X which I only worked out about thirty years after I was into them was probably meant to be pronounced kings cross.

There was an American early funk metal band called Kings X which I only worked out about thirty years after I was into them was probably meant to be pronounced kings cross.
No you're OK: "The first cheer of the night came when the PA announcer explained he had asked the band how to pronounce their name. “It’s Kings Ex, rather than Kings Cross” he explained to a British crowd who were more familiar with the train station."

(I knew them as Kings Ex and never thought it could be Kings Cross for some reason - tho I see Kings 10 was also mooted.)

More of a query really.

A mate put some stuff on a mix tape years ago from somebody(s) called Hainault. Sort of quirky electro/techno with catchy tunes. Can't find any trace of them now, so no idea if they were actually from Hainault or not.

Anyone remember them?

Sandwell District​

Also Kerrier District- I once wore a KD T-shirt to a friend's party and one of the guests started asking me what it was like to work for the local Cornish government, which just made me burst into uncontrollable laughter, especially when I tried to explain to her what it actually is. Given Vibert's background, it's probably a geographically accurate bandname, but I just like to tell the story.

Nile, from elsewhere
Mekong Delta, from elsewhere
Dimmu Borgir, from elsewhere
Sodom, from elsewhere

and Cirith Ungol and Amon Amarth can just piss off back there really

In Numbers 13, Moses sends spies to the land of Canaan and they report seeing the Nephilim there. But Fields of the Nephilim were from Stevenage, which is fucking ages away from absolutely anywhere that's mentioned in the bible.
Might have seen them there on a very early tour. :)

Back
Top Bottom