Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bands with geographically correct names

As noted on the other thread, Boston.

I suppose the correctness or otherwise of Best Coast's name is a matter of individual taste, I imagine Bethany Cosentino and co may well believe the California coast to be superior in which case their name would be accurate, but if someone firmly believed that the best bit of coastline was around Blackpool or Whitley Bay or somewhere then they'd be bitterly disappointed by the lack of any Whitley Bay references in their music.

I've just gone down a rabbithole trying to work out which thread Laibach belong on, apparently they formed in Trbovlje but I think they then relocated to Ljubljana, so I suppose that makes them "bands who started out with geographically misleading names that then became correct, if anachronistic"?

I thought U.S. Girls were Canadian, but it turns out she was born in Chicago, lived in Toronto for a bit and now lives in Chicago again, so I can't fault her on those grounds. Still a misleadingly plural name for a project that only has one permanent member, but can't fault her on geographical grounds.

Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes (Asbury NY)
Alabama (Alabama)
Atlantic Starr (? from NY which is next to the Atlantic)
Florida Georgia Line (Florida & Georgia)
Dubliners (Dublin)
Dublin Cowboys (Dublin)
Dublin Ramblers (Dublin the Irish don't seem to have a lot of imagination when it comes to band names)

The Charlatans get referred to by those across the pond as The Charlatans (UK), because there was an American band with the same name.

Fountains of Wayne, sort of.

Wayne is a town in New Jersey, and Adam Schlesinger was from somewhere else in the state.

Leningrad are a bit of a borderline case as their home town wasn't called Leningrad when they formed the band but would've been when the members were born.

The Charlatans get referred to by those across the pond as The Charlatans (UK), because there was an American band with the same name.
That's actually why the UK Subs are the UK Subs.

They were the Subversives, but there was a US band called the Subversives too, so they became the "UK Subversives", which pretty quickly contracted to the UK Subs.

Back
Top Bottom