Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bands with a big reputation that are (musically) shite

They didn't really have much good stuff after Vitalogy IMO. Eddie did some cool solo stuff though.

That's where I stopped. I didn't really like Vitalogy actually. Probably still have the CD somewhere. Verses and ten got played a lot back in the day though. I heard Even Flow recently and had forgotten how much I liked it.

That's where I stopped. I didn't really like Vitalogy actually. Probably still have the CD somewhere. Verses and ten got played a lot back in the day though. I heard Even Flow recently and had forgotten how much I liked it.

Try Vitalogy again. It was Dave Abbruzzese's last one with them as drummer and McCready was off in rehab so there's not so much guitar noodling. Much different vibe. Eddie plays a lot more guitar, he's actually quite good.

Only speed read the thread and happy not see my favourite band off all time mentioned and I would fight anyone who mentioned them.....

In this thread

The Doors. Nick Cave. The Cardiacs. Neil Young. Led Zeppelin. Zappa. Foo Fighters. Capt Beefheart. Rush. And oh so many more.
I'll agree with some but will defend others.

Nick Cave has become.... difficult....to enjoy of late because personal circumstances (including the death of his son) has turned his output extremely dense and heavy. Earlier stuff is great (though how common is that caveat on this list 😂)

Foos aren't that bad. It's not like Kings of Leon where everything was sandpapered flat, or Maroon 5 who were forced to introduce guest rappers. I believe the lyrics of Foo Fighters songs, whereas with other commercially successful rock bands of late, it just sounds corporate.

Nick Cave has become.... difficult....to enjoy of late because personal circumstances (including the death of his son) has turned his output extremely dense and heavy. Earlier stuff is great (though how common is that caveat on this list 😂)

Foos aren't that bad. It's not like Kings of Leon where everything was sandpapered flat, or Maroon 5 who were forced to introduce guest rappers. I believe the lyrics of Foo Fighters songs, whereas with other commercially successful rock bands of late, it just sounds corporate.
I've tried to like Nick Cave. Friends whose taste I admire go on about him all the time but it fails to move me at all. I'm going to try Neil Young one more time because one of my favourite bands keeps namechecking him. I'm not hopeful!

What's your favourite later Pearl jam album kabbes? By later I mean post 2000?

Pearl Jam (2006). One of my all time favourite albums. Some incredible songs but it also just works as a combined unit. If you’re allowing 2000 as post-2000, though, I’m going to have to do with Binaural, which might be my favourite album of all time.

If you think you can go around calling posters a 'cunt' every time your shitty music taste is questioned in a light hearted thread, you're going to look like a ludicrously angry uber-gammon.

Wind your neck in.
Your hypocrisy is marvellous

I find Dave Grohl immensely irritating for some reason. God knows how the Nicest Man in Rock managed to be in a band with the Most Miserable Man in Rock for years.

Nick Cave - never really got him either. But each to their own. I did love the duet he did with Kylie.

I've tried to like Nick Cave. Friends whose taste I admire go on about him all the time but it fails to move me at all. I'm going to try Neil Young one more time because one of my favourite bands keeps namechecking him. I'm not hopeful!

so its basically that you dont like these acts rather than any musical ability.
without Beefhearts vocal style Johnny Rotten would not have sounded the same.
without Syd/Pink Floyd Bowies output might have been very different.

I think The Mercy Seat is one of the best songs ever written - intense, lyrically brilliant, noisy as fuck but still with a great tune, rising to a crescendo. Amazing stuff. The rest of his stuff though I can take or leave, mostly it just sounds a bit portentous without quite hitting home for me.

Pearl Jam (2006). One of my all time favourite albums. Some incredible songs but it also just works as a combined unit. If you’re allowing 2000 as post-2000, though, I’m going to have to do with Binaural, which might be my favourite album of all time.

Cheers I will give them a go.

Original post removed Sorry, I got on my high horse, but missed the the main point of this thread. I'm no musician, so am in no position to point the finger. Still can't stand Floyd, Rush, and sundry others 😉

Last edited:
Well there's where your comparison falls down. Bleach, Nirvana's first record is a manic filthy punk album really and PJ's first, Ten is highly produced stadium rock. There is no comparison. We'll need to agree to disagree ;)

No I totally agree but it wasn't Bleach that did the business for them, it was produced-to-fuck Nevermind which IMO is considerably less punk and more metal/alt rock.

No I totally agree but it wasn't Bleach that did the business for them, it was produced-to-fuck Nevermind which IMO is considerably less punk and more metal/alt rock.

I don't think anyone who loves music would deny that Nevermind is a work of genius though, not just by the band but also Butch Vig's production. Ten was superb too. I do miss the days when there was actually quality guitar music in the mainstream.

PJ unplugged around the same time. This is about as full on as they ever got. This track got cut from the final cut on MTV for Eddie's pro choice bit at the end.

I don't think anyone who loves music would deny that Nevermind is a work of genius though, not just by the band but also Butch Vig's production. Ten was superb too. I do miss the days when there was actually quality guitar music in the mainstream.

PJ unplugged around the same time. This is about as full on as they ever got. This track got cut from the final cut on MTV for Eddie's pro choice bit at the end.

We've come full circle now because I more or less began with the view that Nevermind was where it went wrong and I don't really get how that album could blow up so massively on its musical merits. Nirvana happened to hit some (non-musical) nerve, and it was a cultural phenomenon but not IMO a musical one. I even loved Nevermind at the time, but looking back I really struggle to explain why.

I think 1991 was a quite shit year for rock music tbh, which helped too.

We've come full circle now because I more or less began with the view that Nevermind was where it went wrong and I don't really get how that album could blow up so massively on its musical merits. Nirvana happened to hit some (non-musical) nerve, and it was a cultural phenomenon but not IMO a musical one. I even loved Nevermind at the time, but looking back I really struggle to explain why.

I think 1991 was a quite shit year for rock music tbh, which helped too.

We'll have to agree to disagree again. Cobain was massively into the Pixies and you can hear that. And I can't think of many better ways to open an album than Smells Like Teen Spirit. Even musically. Four chords. Grohl's furious drumming. Nah, you're wrong.

Some of the people gently castigated here (Grohl, Vig) collaborate together. This might not be the right place for this but it really does give a good insight into how a song can come together.

Enjoy (or don't).

Back
Top Bottom