Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bands with a big reputation that are (musically) shite

if you had a point worth voicing you wouldn't have to lie about what i said. I said "limited at best" and stand by that. It's not exactly an out there opinion, lots of music critics have talked about the limited ability of the Beatles as musicians.

Paul McCartney certainly is much less limited these days - though in the mid 60s he didn't particularly stand out - by 67/68 though it was clear he had emerged as the dominant force in the band musically. But for that he's still pretty shit.
But I wasn’t talking to ‘music critics’ I was talking to you. And I wasn’t talking about McCartney’s solo output, I was talking about The Beatles.

But I wasn’t talking to ‘music critics’ I was talking to you. And I wasn’t talking about McCartney’s solo output, I was talking about The Beatles.
you can't separate out McCartney's ability as a member of the Beatles from his ability as a solo artist - he's literally the same man, i believe.

And i was just pointing out that my opinion is not exactly "out there". Fucks sake. I'm done with this. Fuck off. I have much more important things to do.

Depending on the producers Jay-Z has some excellent tracks in his catalogue. However I don't think as an emcee he adds anything to them, and they'd be better better rhymes and flows.

Depending on the producers Jay-Z has some excellent tracks in his catalogue. However I don't think as an emcee he adds anything to them, and they'd be better better rhymes and flows.
solved in that 5 letter word puzzle hated answer: emcee
pls fck ff nd d

The Doors have been mentioned a few times and I'm not a massive fan but how are they 'musically shite'? So far it's the only act I'm questioning because I really don't get it.

Unless "musically shite" is being used as a euphemism for "I don't like it" - which btw isn't why I added in Nirvana, I actually like Nirvana I'm just bemused by their incredible success

I was thinking, for genuinely sacrilegous opinions, anyone want to have a go at knocking Black Flag? They certainly had their moments, but I think there's a lot of other early hardcore LPs I'd probably rate above Damaged. And then the whole "let's do something radically new and different and alienate our audience" thing was great and laudable in principle, but then a lot of the music that came out of that was just slow boring heavy metal?
Yeah, I was going to put them up, it’s just a racket isn’t it?

Yeah, I was going to put them up, it’s just a racket isn’t it?
I mean, tbf I do love a lot of stuff that could be fairly described as just a racket, and I think some of their songs are actually great. But I dunno how much of it would stand out in a blind taste test against other hardcore songs of the era.

I mean, tbf I do love a lot of stuff that could be fairly described as just a racket, and I think some of their songs are actually great. But I dunno how much of it would stand out in a blind taste test against other hardcore songs of the era.
It's also great how some of the HC bands through the years changed their sound away from the aggressive sound to something more tuneful and seemed to do a great job- I always loved the way 7Seconds did that.

It pains me to say this because I really want to like them but the Flower Travellin' Band were mid.

That's a little bit facetious from someone who's been banned at least three times.
At least seven.

Unless "musically shite" is being used as a euphemism for "I don't like it" - which btw isn't why I added in Nirvana, I actually like Nirvana I'm just bemused by their incredible success
He had an amazing voice and could write a decent song when he wanted to. The size of their success was unusual (and accentuated by his death, they didn't have a chance to decline) but I reckon they had more to say musically than most grunge bands.

He had an amazing voice and could write a decent song when he wanted to. The size of their success was unusual (and accentuated by his death, they didn't have a chance to decline) but I reckon they had more to say musically than most grunge bands.

I disagree, but not vehemently. On KC's voice, it was OK but I think lots of rock singers do just as well or better. They don't necessarily have his chsrisma though and I actually think that's what did it. Unashamed cardigan wearing. Baby face vulnerability worn on sleeve. Boys and girls could both fancy him. Catchy choruses for MTV.

What is kind of funny though, is that Pearl Jam did the actual music better, wrote more complex, layered, psychedelic songs etc and enjoyed (still enjoy) success of the same magnitude and yet they don’t and didn't touch me like Nirvana did. I could analyse that for hours (probably have tbh) but whatever drew me personally to Nirvana but not Pearl Jam, it had nothing to do with music.

Reactions: Ax^
Back
Top Bottom