Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Balkanisation of Libya, and international impact?

AP: BREAKING: Egyptian officials say country's warplanes are bombing positions of Islamist militias in Libya.

e2a

Eljarh: Egyptia-n Presidency Spokes person now denying @AP reports that Egypt Air Force conducting Airstrikes in #Libya

:facepalm:

E2a again, everybody's in a rush to get their facts wrong or something

MaryFitzger: Hiftar's air force chief denies AP story of Egyptian airstrikes on Benghazi. His MP son claims Egyptian planes but with Libyan pilots...

:facepalm::facepalm:

lol

TomStevenson_: The Libyan official who has confirmed the strikes said the planes were "rented" by Libya from Egypt.

Last edited:
Beltrew: Spoke to Hiftar's Air Force commander Sager Jarrushi who denied claims #Egypt supplied warplanes in today's attempt to retake #Benghazi

Beltrew: But Jarrushi also told me a few months ago Hiftar & newly gifted foreign planes were behind airstrikes on Tripoli that US said was Egypt&UAE

Beltrew: In summary - no one has any idea what is really going on #Libya #Benghazi #Egypt

That's cleared that up then.

In all seriousness the situation in Benghazi looks to be pretty dire, reports on twitter of lots of fighting, people afraid to go out etc. Also anger that it has taken purported airstrikes to draw international attention.

hdghosheh: Disgusted that Libyans outside of #Benghazi & even #Libya are so judgmental of residents' desperation for security but offer no solutions.

Eljarh: There hasn't been much international focus on #Benghazi today, until AP story about Airstrikes broke out. Then all paid attention. #Libya

Here is an article on the current state of affairs in Benghazi

The Fight for Benghazi Heats Up

That article was very flattering in regards the impact Haftars military campaign has had in Benghazi until now, completely omitting various failures. But towards the end it evokes a different picture, one that makes reference to stalemates of recent months, and the low chances of this latest declaration and fighting leading to a dramatic change in Benghazi.

Personally there isn't much I rule out, though the actual scale of skirmishes and armed forces in Libya over recent years and indeed during the original uprising does lend itself to virtual stalemates and uneasy standoffs, punctuated with death.

Libya PM says united forces aim to retake capital

Tripoli (AFP) - Libya's internationally-recognised prime minister said Saturday that military forces in the strife-torn country had united to try to recapture Tripoli and the second city Benghazi from Islamist militias.

"All military forces have been placed under army command to liberate Tripoli and Benghazi soon, inshallah (God willing)," Thani told AFP in a telephone interview from the eastern town of Al-Baida....

A less-than optimistic opinion on this news

@LibyaLiberty: If PM is right and the HoR plans a military assault to retake Tripoli,we will be in full blown civil war. All bets will be off. Kaput. Done.

It sounds like government-allied security lost control of Libya's largest oilfield last week.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/11/us-libya-security-oil-insight-idUSKCN0IV1KZ20141111

The beheading of three activists in Derna is enough for the BBC to write a tepid article on Libya:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-30011640

In other news from a few weeks back, the government aren't on the Greek car ferry anymore, they are now in a 1970's style hotel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29603393

Also note the casual mentioning of this again in the BBC article about the government at the hotel.

The Libyan conflict has already become in part an international proxy war between competing power blocs in the Middle East. Diplomats say two anti-Islamist states, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, have given military backing to the Tobruk-based authorities. Qatar and Sudan, on the other side, are accused by the elected authorities of backing the Islamist rebels - though they deny it.

What's the truth behind ISIS's intervention into libya? Nobody seems to be paying much attention to it...

What's the truth behind ISIS's intervention into libya? Nobody seems to be paying much attention to it...

This is quite a good report, but appears to contain much of the content in the link you posted. Have to admit I'd not seen this quote from Obama..

President Obama explained in a CNN interview this weekend why he wants to keep strict limits on the U.S. fight against Islamic State forces. He said the U.S. can’t play “Whac-A-Mole” by sending armies to fight every terrorist group, and that Americans shouldn’t overestimate the danger posed by these groups.

“When you look at ISIL, it has no governing strategy. It can talk about setting up the new caliphate, but nobody is under any illusions that they can actually in a sustained way feed people or educate people or organize a society that would work,” Obama said.

I think IS are a big problem in Libya, it's not getting reported as much as events in Syria/Iraq, or perhaps to be more precise it hasn't received such a high profile. Lots of info on Twitter though. Just type IS Libya in the search of whatever Twitter client you are using.

Gunmen kill 12 Libyans, foreigners at oilfield raid

Gunmen killed 12 people, among them two Filipino and two Ghanaian nationals, after storming a remote, Libyan oilfield, a Libyan official said on Wednesday.

"Most were beheaded or killed by gunfire," said Abdelhakim Maazab, commander of a security force in charge of protecting the al-Mabrook oilfield, some 170 km (105 miles) south of the Mediterranean city of Sirte.

A French diplomatic source in Paris and another Libyan official said Islamic State militants were behind the attack, which took place on Tuesday night.

I think IS are a big problem in Libya, it's not getting reported as much as events in Syria/Iraq, or perhaps to be more precise it hasn't received such a high profile.

Probably because reporting on Libya in general is shit. And because Libya has a long list of problems, and I'm not sure IS make the top three, at least so far.

Benghazi faces 'medical diasaster' as Libyan city cut off by heavy fighting

Hospitals in Libya's second city of Benghazi are facing 'medical disaster', doctors say, as heavy fighting disrupts supply routes, and the drugs run out.
Inside the city's largest medical facility, one of only two to remain operational, staff have less than three weeks-worth of pharmaceuticals and equipment in their stores.
The Benghazi Medical Centre has been forced to appeal for emergency supplies, including gloves, surgical knives, and even bedsheets.
The humanitarian consequences of Libya's descent into chaos have been dire, and nowhere more so than in Benghazi.
"We've been left alone to face medical disaster," says a paramedic, who asked to be identified as Mohamed....

the recent killing of US ambassador Chris Stevens along with four other American members of staff has underlined the anarchy prevailing in Benghazi. the government in Libya is currently impotent, and all power effectively resides in a patchwork quilt of Islamist and tribal militias who control various different regions and territories. in Benghazi the problem is magnified, as several groups operate simultaneously over the same territorial ground.

i expected several weeks into the uprising against Gadaffi that a success on the part of the Transitional Government would lead to Balkanisation in Libya, and events since Gadaffi's overthrow seem to have borne this prediction out. so far as i can see, the future of the country looks bleak. from a nation which once boasted some of the highest standards of living in the region with free education and healthcare (the best healthcare in North Africa, along with the highest rates of literacy), it now has some of the lowest. the black population in the country has been mercilessly persecuted by the Arab majority for their association with Gadaffi, with many rumours of massacres and mass migration. tribal clashes seem to be leaving new dead victims every other week in the provinces. in short, a deeply flawed though functioning and effective state has collapsed, leaving nothing in the form of a progressive, democratic alternative in its place.

as a secondary impact, the fall of Gadaffi seems to have also heralded the destruction of the last remnants of organised, anti-Imperialist pan-Africanism. looking at the issue of Africa and independent African development in the future, what hopes are there for independent, progressive and secular political movements to emerge from the current messy mash of backwards-looking Islamist and tribal leaderships? was it worth supporting the fall of Gadaffi for the state that Libya exists in now, as did many on the left in the West?

i'm posting this thread in the hope that others can contribute to current knowledge on events in the country, but also share predictions and strategical opinions on the political future of the African continent as a whole. in my opinion, the death of Gadaffi marked a turn in the road for African history, the end of the most successful attempt to wean Africa away from dependence on the West and towards its own independent development. to a great extent, i see it also as a sign of the dismantlement of the post-colonial secular independence movements in the direction of backwards tribal and ethnic fragmentation and religious dogma. and this from someone who instinctively supported the Libyan uprising in its first few weeks, along with the rest of the Arab Spring.

just interested in referring back to Libya from the predictions in this first post - which as far as i can see ended up being fairly accurate. my original intention had been to start a discussion on the UK left's prevailing strategy in light of the situation in Libya (and indeed its attitudes towards the Arab Spring in general). much of the UK left fell in uncritically - effectively on the side of Islamist militias and regional warlords - against Gadaffi's dictatorship. supporting, in principle, 'revolt' effectively removed any serious attempt to geopolitically analyse the prevailing balance of forces in the region, or attempt to seriously assess what was achievable within the confines of the anti-Gadaffi revolt and whether that was worthwhile.

in my opinion, much of the Arab Spring has brought the question of what the left is trying to actually achieve to the fore; what does 'improvement' look like, in practice? is it really true that **any** alternative to a dictatorial but functioning and redistributive state is worth fighting for? imo it's an almost Maoist practice of doctrinal purity that leads many on the left to support 'the oppressed' here and everywhere, without dissecting the mucky realities of dealing in real power; the symbolism of protest and revolt is seen as more important than its expected outcome.

Libya seems, to me, to be a case in point as to the abject failure of the left to see a catastrophe looming under its very nose - cheerleading devastation without any concrete hopes for a progressive or productive alternative, too intoxicated by images of rebellion.

I could probably be accused of cheerleading, so I'll bite on that one.

For a start, perfectly possible to be mesmerised by the sight of people no longer respecting systems of fear that had maintained order for decades in various countries, without being uncritical or naive. If we go back to look at original uprising threads about countries such as Libya, we'll find plenty of concern about outcomes and actions.

I didn't like Libya being called a failed state because at the time I thought that was premature - it was a possible outcome but it was rather presumptive to write everything off at that stage. And I certainly didn't like comparisons with Iraq and Afghanistan, because I thought the nature of the violence and political balances were different in Libya, such comparisons didn't do the situation justice.

To be honest, even in situations where 'our country' did not intervene militarily or with copious quantities of propaganda, I have a problem with the way support or condemnation of an uprising by people is so easily framed. Its often ends up sounding rather patriarchal in the style of the British Empire, either cheerleading people to their doom or condemning their struggle as unrealistic. Besides, the pressure that can build up, the fault lines that can develop, after decades of blatant dictatorship is not something that can be overridden with simple facts such as whether the uprising will do more harm than good in the end, or how progressive it is. It's a phenomenon thats unleashed, complicated by international meddling, and no matter how poor the outcome these aren't phenomenon I'd rather see crushed or suppressed.

The best I could do was be keen to point out lies and atrocities on all sides, even when hugely inconvenient to the idealised case I'd rather be cheerleading.

Plus if it is even possible to collectively judge the response of 'the left' to the arab spring, other possible outcomes would also have ended up presenting problems and contradictions for the left too.

For example even if uprisings hadn't been crushed, hadn't given rise to power for islamists, or of massive amounts of outside interference, or civil war, there would have been the political and economic nature of some of the most overtly progressive opposition movements in some of these countries - liberal - to be dealt with. Some of them were fighting and dying in order to enjoy the sorts of freedom and democracy we have, and had they got that, they would have discovered all its flaws. I consider the liberal drive behind some of this stuff be be rather ironic given that one of the energising inputs into the arab spring and some other uprisings has been the global agenda to erode fuel subsidies, and liberals are part of the problem on that front, hardly the solution.

Where Libya is a stark example is that 'international opinion' and the opinions of us were directly relevant at one moment. The buildup to violent intervention from the skies.

That propaganda campaign was a doddle. Unlike Iraq, it happened really bloody quickly which made the propaganda much easier. They were able to inject a sense of great urgency into it ('Benghazi will fall'), Gaddafi & Son played their parts perfectly because of their murderous dehumanising rhetoric early on, and there were few international complications because Gaddafi had few real mates and his regime was not considered indispensable by many.

Some people here did protest NATO intervention at the time, but I don't think the opposition to it had much of a chance to get going before it was all over. The odious pro-Gaddafi goofery of a vocal minority of the opponents to the bombing really didn't help at crucial moments either.

I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the downfall of the Gaddafi regime. The least I must do in return is to keep paying attention to Libya, and then not simply shrug or wring my hands with some guilty progwessive twist on white mans burden.

I could probably be accused of cheerleading, so I'll bite on that one.

'Cheerleading' would seem quite a dismissive characteriztion of your own posts elbows, which were always chocca full of information and well researched! But thanks for biting nonetheless.

For a start, perfectly possible to be mesmerised by the sight of people no longer respecting systems of fear that had maintained order for decades in various countries, without being uncritical or naive. If we go back to look at original uprising threads about countries such as Libya, we'll find plenty of concern about outcomes and actions.

I didn't like Libya being called a failed state because at the time I thought that was premature - it was a possible outcome but it was rather presumptive to write everything off at that stage. And I certainly didn't like comparisons with Iraq and Afghanistan, because I thought the nature of the violence and political balances were different in Libya, such comparisons didn't do the situation justice.

Absolutely it's possible to be mesmerized by it, but I do think reading back over this thread that there was never really an organization on the ground in Libya which appeared capable of developing even a flawed, corrupted liberal 'democracy'. From what I can see, from very early on faith in the Libyan 'resistance' was sustained more by an opposition to the Gadaffi dictatorship rather than any serious belief in the capabilities of his opponents to create something better. I think the situation in Libya should be seen as a lesson (still to be learned from previous incidences, as in Iran) - that in determining support for revolutionary movements the left should pay as much attention to the viability of the alternatives being posed as to the evil they're facing up against.

In practice, this lesson appears to have been effectively learned. With Libya as a disastrous foil against Syria, for example, many of the voices who were up until a year or so ago constantly voicing the evils of the Assad regime have fallen silent in recognition that the FSA represent much the same corrupt and reactionary forces as those which formed the backbone of the resistance to Gadaffi. What would be worse than Assad? For sure, an effective ISIS regime spreading into Syria too, that is the penalty for supporting the righteous reaction against his dictatorship. Rather than simply being unconsciously recognized, however, I think it's important to make the point properly; that large segments of the left in general need to reassess
their responses to 3rd world events if their concepts of international analyses are to remain accurate, relevant and meaningful.

For example even if uprisings hadn't been crushed, hadn't given rise to power for islamists, or of massive amounts of outside interference, or civil war, there would have been the political and economic nature of some of the most overtly progressive opposition movements in some of these countries - liberal - to be dealt with.

One point here; from the little that was known about the organization of the resistance in Libya from early days, Islamists played a significant role from very early on alongside the tribal warlords and defected generals that constituted what could be called the 'official' (??) movement. I think the lack of attention on this detail was partly explained by the invisibility of ISIS and their atrocities at the time, who at the time of the rebellion still hadn't scored their major victories against the Iraqi army. I think the left and the world - now, with hindsight - are far more attuned to the existence of Islamist elements in such movements today and rightly so, though it's indicative of the same flaws in analytical procedure that such an awareness was absent for so long. If our international analysis lacks an accurate predictive quality, then what use is it other than as a quasi-religious ideological dogma?

Thanks for the detailed response. Keep in mind that this thread isn't the main one. I did go back and re-read that entire thread once, it is far too huge to consume again really but I wanted to see if my memory had played any tricks on me.

I'm not convinced lessons were learnt by the left over Libya that they then applied to Syria. Well perhaps one lesson - military intervention by the UK was not supported at parliamentary level, scooping some possibilities for Syria. But I think most of the other differences with Libya were to do with timescale - I really think the response by various players to Libya was hugely influenced by the extremely compressed timescale when it came to international intervention. They got that game played very quickly, and the early 'anti-rat' speeches of Gaddafi & son really helped that narrative, as did the defection of many of Libyas diplomats.

As for the picture you suggest in regards Libyan groups capabilities to maintain a state, and the role of Islamists, I disagree with your analysis in a number of ways.

I'll start with the Islamists. First of all Islamist groups that indulge in terror in a manner that makes them pretty compatible with other western narratives about Islamists elsewhere, e.g. these days ISIS. They were a rather minor player in Libya for a number of crucial years, up to and beyond the fall of Gaddafi. They only came to prominence once they killed the US ambassador. Since then they have become relevant to the battles in some parts of Libya, mostly specific parts of the east. IS presence needs to be watched with concern, but they are hardly one of the main groups influencing the situation in Libya these days. The exception is over the military battle for Benghazi, which seems bogged down as usual, and where one of the sides is very much described as Islamist.

Of considerably more interest and influence are a slightly different flavour of Islamists - those who went for the political route, and the fighting militia forces that are most often labelled as being from Misrata. Since they have Tripoli and an alternative government of their own they are a very big factor, but at no stage have I seen satisfactory analysis of them. In part I believe thats due to outside interference and backing from regional players, and associated proxy wars. That stuff has been widely acknowledged (Qatar etc), and also plays into what happened to the political islamists of the MB in Egypt, and the subsequent military support by the Egyptians towards the non-Islamist Libya government. But there is not much detailed analysis around beyond the obvious suspicions.

As for whether Libya ever stood a chance of building anything else, thats one of the issues I was referring to in an earlier post. I find it to be unfair to people anywhere to form conclusions about what they may be capable of, especially when it plays so well into classic versions of political history where the western excuse for backing dictators was that the locals couldn't do democracy. Plus in the case of Libya there were promising signs early on from the Benghazi region. Lawyers and activists were involved, and there were sometimes very large, peaceful protests there which demonstrated some kind of civic phenomenon and new-found freedom of expression. Since then many activists and others have been executed in Benghazi, an obviously the wider political and security situation deteriorated massively, but I would not suggest that it was always this hopeless.

Not that it would ever have been easy. Gaddafi form of dictatorship paid even less lip-service to state institutions than many dictatorships do. He went for the 'lets pretend to have a direct democracy and prop that illusion that up with a deep domestic spying system, and divide and conquer along regional and tribal lines'. Post-Gaddafi, there was much pent up energy to be released along these fronts, and it was very easy for political opponents to play games with concepts such as whether any 'Gaddafi regime loyalists' had power and influence under the new setups, and how few associated with past political, military etc positions in Libya could really claim to be free from the taint of Gaddafi.

..especially when it plays so well into classic versions of political history where the western excuse for backing dictators was that the locals couldn't do democracy...
I think a more realistic assessment of western support for dictators everywhere is that they are a convenient and brutal method of control, especially if say, the alternative was some form of socialism which would often be completely at odds with western interests as for example in Iran before the shah and Chile before Pinochet.

Back
Top Bottom