Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

autonomous cars - the future of motoring is driverless

I see google have had a bump with a bus which isn't bad considering the miles they have done. The insurance claim could have been interesting had it not been corporate.

They should get a move on and deploy these things already. They clearly have a better track record than humans on safe driving - save for one or two minor collisions which will no doubt be analysed for improvement tweaks.

They should get a move on and deploy these things already. They clearly have a better track record than humans on safe driving - save for one or two minor collisions which will no doubt be analysed for improvement tweaks.

It's going to make crossing the road so much easier :D

This is on the radio again now, what a load of shit. I've been on a car I didn't have to drive already today, it's called a bus. Classic case of solving a problem people didn't know they had.

This is on the radio again now, what a load of shit. I've been on a car I didn't have to drive already today, it's called a bus. Classic case of solving a problem people didn't know they had.

Different solutions for different problems.

Public buses suit a purpose and are fine for people on budgets in big cities with limited parking and dense traffic.

Outside of cities, the lack of a car is a pain. For those who don't or can't drive, a driverless car makes total sense. I'm thinking old people mainly, but there's also disabled people, young people, incapacitated people, tired people. Not to mention people who just fucking hate the stress of driving and would like to kick back and let something else take over.

Public buses suit a purpose and are fine for people on budgets in big cities with limited parking and dense traffic.

Outside of cities, the lack of a car is a pain. For those who don't or can't drive, a driverless car makes total sense. I'm thinking old people mainly, but there's also disabled people, young people, incapacitated people, tired people. Not to mention people who just fucking hate the stress of driving and would like to kick back and let something else take over.
I like driving. I guess the potential to dramatically reduce accidents is one thing going for it.

people who just fucking hate the stress of driving and would like to kick back and let something else take over
God yes. A four hour car drive with two small children in the back fills me with dread. But if the familty could sit down face to face and just relax while the robot got us there? Sign me right up.

Also, we can live out our Knight Rider fantasies and pretend we're Michael Knight on a mission in our driverless black Pontiac Trans Am... er. ahem.

I like driving. I guess the potential to dramatically reduce accidents is one thing going for it.
I like driving also, but if in the future there was the possibility to switch from manual, human driver mode, to auto mode and have my vehicle drive me home when I was tired, I might go for it.

I know of many elderly people who struggle to operate a cordless phone. They would never cope with operating a driver less car. Someone would have to do it for them.

I know of many elderly people who struggle to operate a cordless phone. They would never cope with operating a driver less car. Someone would have to do it for them.
Depends how complex it is. It could potentially be as simple as using your voice to tell it where to go.

Personally I think the stereotype of the technologically clueless oldsters is becoming increasingly baseless. It certainly will become so in the near future.

By the time autonomous cars become ubiquitous, 'the elderly' will be familiar with the internet like never before. If it doesn't get a move on, they might even be - gasp - you!

I'm not convinced by the elderly arguement; some are very able and many are less than able, especially as arthritis or something like parkinsons sets in.

I'm not convinced by the elderly arguement; some are very able and many are less than able, especially as arthritis or something like parkinsons sets in.
They would be even less able to drive a car though. Some who can't drive (eg poor eyesight) will be able to use autonomous cars, I doubt anyone who couldn't use an autonomous car fur the kind of reasons you've stated would be able to drive a manual car.

Yep, this was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Would you get into a machine that has been programmed to kill you under certain circumstances?

Don't think so. It doesn't matter that the stats would point to you still being less likely to crash/die. Because in spite of stats, every single person that gets behind the wheel of a car thinks it won't happen to them, crashes are something that happens to other people.

Lets face it, its impossible. People wont drive at speed limits anyway so they sure aint gonna sit in cars tootling along at 20mph wachin all the non automated wizz past them.

Back
Top Bottom