Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

autonomous cars - the future of motoring is driverless

Not if car is in autonomous mode; it's down to manufacturer or supplier, probably.
When going into autonomous mode, I assume the car automatically know the top speed and that the driver will not be able to override this.

Yes - that’s the driver !

Mrs tag has just had here renewal through. Your insurance now covers you if you are in a collision with a driverless car.

From today's paper
That’s really interesting and fits with my understanding of animal intelligence in general, and human intelligence in particular. It seems to me that attempts to create artificial versions of intelligence are not so much “miles off” as they are “travelling at 90 degrees to the direction they need to go in”. To get from A to B safely, you don’t need to have massive algorithmic capability, or a huge database of experience or incredible sensory equipment. What you need is intentionality. Even a lizard has this, let alone a human. It has a purpose for getting to B, and it has purpose to its actions that help guide it there. It is this purpose that lets it adapt from moment to moment what it is doing. A car has no purpose and this is exposed the moment something happens that doesn’t fit its programming.

The other thing that people have (don’t know about animals) is some kind of theory of mind that lets them read the intentionality of other creatures. The obstinate cow in the middle of the road that the article refers to — people have a sense of what a cow, at some level, wants. They will try to deal with it on that basis. A car knows nothing of wants.

Last edited:
SF cops try to reprimend a driver for driving at night with the headlights turned off, but find nobody inside the autonomous car :D

the story has a link to a youtube page called

Interacting with a Cruise Autonomous Vehicle: A Guide for First Responders​

had quick glance at the video, rather dull. One thing it talks about is disabling the car by cutting the 12 volt battery cable under the bonnet and NOT the orange high voltage cable. :)

Seems a bit odd, perhaps its the cheapest option..

1649877413751.png

rally cars have got master power off switch in the cab, in this case the red swich near the gear stick. I wonder if that would help, I suspose the risk might be if the power off switch was activated by the passenger while the car was moving that might be bad.

If the manufacturer is to be held liable for a crash in an autonomous car, I hope they will be responsible for the breaking of speed limits. I stopped to take this photo whilst in a 30 limit. Similar things happened when in 2 20 MPH zones at least.
IMG_20220622_005532_hdr.jpg

Ps. How many bits of information can you take in at once and this wasn't the full Speedo, yet alone all the info on the entertainment system, complete with cameras.

I noticed a similar problem on a gizmo-laden car I hired last month. My solution was just to peg the speed limiter at 22mph at all times when in urban areas. Freed me up to focus on spotting pedestrians, cyclists, idiot drivers, and the bus lane and box junction cameras, with the added bonus of annoying aspirant boy racers. Also had to bin off the lane control, which was simply annoying. The dash display was also similarly cluttered and nigh-on 'unscannable'.

If the manufacturer is to be held liable for a crash in an autonomous car, I hope they will be responsible for the breaking of speed limits. I stopped to take this photo whilst in a 30 limit. Similar things happened when in 2 20 MPH zones at least.
View attachment 328767

Why would you need a speed limit indicator on the dash? And that fucking ECO e-Pedal bollocks.

Can't you turn all that shit off?

The speed indicator is permanent I think. As for eco, it can has a bit of a kick and can still squeal tyres in that mode.

Those speed limit things are often incorrect, especially when you've got something like a flyover or a local road that runs alongside a dual carriageway, or recently changed speed limit.

They're inaccurate enough to make them worse than nothing if you're relying on them not to lose your licence.

I rented a big fancy new BMW in Germany recently which would try and wrestle control of the steering wheel if you veered out of your lane. It struggled when we went over a lot of autobahn that had roadworks and temporary yellow lines to denote lanes which were offset from the usual white lines which were also in place.

But my picture was taken no where near a motorway, flyover, ring road etc. All nearby roads were either 20 or 30 mph.

For tens of years the auto industry has developed incrementally, with new technology appearing first on premium models and then some of that filtering down into more normal vehicles.

It is a big step to get electrification, and with the infrastructure also needing to be developed and installed counts I believe as a significant development in its own right.

Clever as the car companies are I don't think they can manage electrification and automated driving at the same time without there being various disasters along the way. For me electrification is a big step, important for climate change, and as such I would welcome affordable electric cars with good range if there was also the infrastructure.

I am in no hurry for autonomous vehicles.

Sorry to refer to a 4 year old book, but I have just started dipping into it and HF makes some great points ( its proving a great book, better than I thought).
The driver must control the car with the car assisting and not the other way around.
She also points out that all this modern tech is weakening the humans ability to control things...an example would be the ability to judge a space with so many parking aids....

Autonomous taxis are up, running and taking paying passengers in San Fransisco
That way lies madness. Madness, I tell you!

jTmqAiz.gif

This seems crazy. A level 2/3 assisted driving car has been approved for use on "certain" but not all motorways. You will need to pay a monthly subscription for it, I assume to ford. If the car detects you nodding off you will be be alerted and made to put your hands back on the wheel. Failing that, it will bring you slowly to a halt. Even in the fast lane!
BBC News - Ford launches hands-free driving on UK motorways

This seems crazy. A level 2/3 assisted driving car has been approved for use on "certain" but not all motorways. You will need to pay a monthly subscription for it, I assume to ford. If the car detects you nodding off you will be be alerted and made to put your hands back on the wheel. Failing that, it will bring you slowly to a halt. Even in the fast lane!
BBC News - Ford launches hands-free driving on UK motorways
Can the sensors checking whether you've fallen asleep read through sunglasses? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom