Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Athletics

So - I won some tickets to go see the Muller Anniversary Games at the London Stadium next weekend - I'm stoked, it is not the sort of thing I would usually even think of going to see, and should be a good day out.

I wish I knew a bit more about it tbh.
Oh, that'll be a fab thing to see Epona
The standout athlete will be GB's Dina Asher-Smith, she's more or less the best sprinter in the world at the moment. She's best at 200m but is in the 100m on the Sunday.

https://www.britishathletics.org.uk...and-world-medallists-join-dina-in-100m-field/

Athletics is one of those sports I like watching on the telly, but have never been to. I imagine it's a good laugh, with few sports with more variance in such a confined space.

My favourite events, to watch at least, are the sprint hurdles and the triple jump. Both excellent combinations of power, speed and technique.

Had a good day out, weather was good, and it was fun to watch :) The seats we had were pretty decent (but obviously not the top wedge!) and we had a good view of everything. It's still probably not something I would personally pay to go and see, but I did have a good time.

My only complaint is the food prices at the stadium. Good grief!

Did anyone watch the European Team Championships this weekend at all? I only saw a little, including a mixed 4*400m. It was only UK, France and Spain, and it was interesting how the differing tactics played out, because they could order the runners how they wanted. The UK won with man-woman-woman-man. I'll be interested to see if there comes a recognised best order for this.

3 world records tonight at the Paris Diamond league meeting (available on iplayer to watch)

Mens 2 mile, women’s 5000m, Men’s 3000m steeplechase. Plus a world lead 800m time by Britain’s Keely Hodgkinson.

The spirit of sport.

The Belgian 100m hurdles sprinter couldn't run, so the shot putter stepped up.

She knows. We knows. But does she care?

No Fucks given. Love this kind of thing and her attitude.

If you’ve ever done athletics for a club / school / whatever you’ll be familiar with the concept of “doing it for the points” eg a javelin thrower doing a 400m hurdles and finishing last still gets 1 point.

Meetings are scored on a points basis (8 for first, and then down to 1 for eighth) so every point counts. See also XC where being 16th scorer (so not counting if first 5 score) for your club can be important if you overtake a 4th scorer for a rival.

The spirit of sport.

The Belgian 100m hurdles sprinter couldn't run, so the shot putter stepped up.

She knows. We knows. But does she care?

No Fucks given. Love this kind of thing and her attitude.

Pretty good, but I'd prefer to see a shotputter try the pole vault.

Also Linford’s 100m record has finally gone, Zharnel Hughes has ran 9.83 in New York taking 0.04 off the British record which was set in 1993.

Maybe John Regis’s 200m record, set in the same year, will go soon. Coe’s 800m and Mark Rowland’s 3k steeplechase records are older and date from the 80s!

I reckon Farah could've beaten the 800m, at his peak.

Edwards' triple jump is probably safe for now, given no one in the whole world has strongly challenged it yet.

The thing about athletics world records is that a biological freak can come along at any time and destroy previous levels. Michael Johnson took the 200m to wholly new levels, and then Usain Bolt smashes that 13 years later.

4:07 women’s mile world record just obliterated by Faith Kipyegon in Monaco, nearly 5 seconds taken off the old record of 4:12. She was close to the 1500m world record as a split I estimate.

The mile isn’t run as often as the 1500m these days, and you need a quality field and a fast race, but still - everyone behind - and they were a long way behind - also ran a national record or a PB.

Makes me wonder if a sub 4 minute mile for women could be possible one day.

(Coverage via iplayer if anyone interested)

Anyone watching the World Championships?

The women's 10,000m was dull as fuck until the final 100m.

I was also reminded of why I say all middle and long distance runners' names with a North Eastern accent.

Great viewing today wasn't it. Shame Elliot Giles didn't make the 1500m final. I'm made up for KJT though. She really deserved that win, she's had some terrible luck over the years.

One thing that annoys me is the media banging on about Dina Asher Smith so much when Daryll Neita has had a much better year and can potentially beat her in the 100m. I don't know why they can't be a bit more even handed in the coverage. Why not celebrate two British women?

I love watching Athletics - been watching the World Championship with my granddaughter. Femke Bo faceplant was epic (and thanks to it GB got a medal) and the way she's acing all the racing now is being used as a lesson on "falling up and getting up again" for her. The athletes look so strong and powerful - it's wonderful to see what the body human can do. We enjoy the fashion sense too, the hairstyles, accessories, personalities. I don't really like to watch football so much (but tried to get gd to watch it, she was bored) but this, this is fun for both of us!

Still lots more to come this week :) on iPlayer and live.

Ended up down a bit of a rabbit hole, eventually landing at Edwards' triple jump record.

Obviously it's been covered over and over, but did enjoy the story told in the final column at the top of the world record table :D

1692986215588.png

edit: Huh, what I didn't know was that the women's world record was broken 3 days after Edwards at the same championship, and stood for almost 26 years itself! :eek:

1692986376442.png

"There was something in the air, that night", as they say...

Love the way Michael Johnson pronounces the word “baton”

Also learned on a radio interview that he has only kept one of the pair of golden spikes he wore at Atlanta - the other one he gave to his coach who was with him his entire career from college onwards. Classy move from a classy man.

Back
Top Bottom