Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone ferment fruit & vegetables?

UnderOpenSky

baseline neural therapy
I was listening the food programme in the car and apparently this is making a come back. A good way of preserving seasonal produce as well as being rather good for you.

Things like Sourkrout & Kimichi are well known about, but it seems you can do just about anything. They even spoke about fermented watermelon! I think I'm going to wonder over to ebay and buy some jars. :)

My girlfriend has quite a lot of kale and beetroot at the moment. :hmm:

Ferment, Food Programme - BBC Radio 4

Sandor Katz is the go-to authority on this kind of fermentation. Wild fermentation is his classic text, I see he's also just published a new one. Wild fermentation meaning using yeasts/bacteria picked up from the air rather than introduced cultures.

Sandor Katz is the go-to authority on this kind of fermentation. Wild fermentation is his classic text, I see he's also just published a new one. Wild fermentation meaning using yeasts/bacteria picked up from the air rather than introduced cultures.

Yeah for simplicities sake, just using brine seems to easiest way, but am still reading. Will add that site to the list.

Get a flatmate who eats lots of things that come in jars.

I have a housemate who buys loads of jars and then leaves them half finished in the fridge. :mad:

Reactions: tim
I went to a workshop on it a couple of years ago, we made sauerkraut. It's a bit labour intensive, I decided to stick to pickling.

So I'm still unsure about weather to go wild (just salt) or to add something to start the fermentation. Would Brewers Yeast work?

Thanka for the jar suggestions. I've got 4 of these on order.

Kilner Square Clip Top Jar 1ltr | Preservation, Storage, Jam Jar

Go wild. Manufactured yeasts are designed (well, selected) for specific purposes. E.g brewers yeast optimally works at a fairly narrow temperature range, favours the types of sugar extracted from grain and may impart certain flavours (obviously highly dependent on the yeast strain).

I've pickled fruit in alcohol, but I doubt if that's what your talking about. I found this recipes to be very nice in the winter:

Brandied Pears

I've also made Kimchi and zucchini pickles, but I wasn't thrilled with it.

It's a common misconception that the yeasts are just floating about and land in your sourdough (or your fruit) - they're already present when you get it. Admittedly, they might have got there by floating about in the wind while the plant was growing.

Apologies if you already know this. :)

I was listening to the very same programme and, in a fit of poor judgement and zero-planning, by the end of the day had created these...

I'd have done the same if I can the stuff lying round.

I've pickled fruit in alcohol, but I doubt if that's what your talking about. I found this recipes to be very nice in the winter:

Brandied Pears

I've also made Kimchi and zucchini pickles, but I wasn't thrilled with it.

It's all good. I've done home preserving at all.

My girlfriend has a glut of carrots at the moment and this sounds interesting.

Gajar ka Achaar - NDTV

So how did people's experiments turn out? I got as far as buying the jars and no further. I've got my own kitchen now though so no excuses and just ordered the book Cid suggested. :)

So how did people's experiments turn out?

I have to confess it has been a mixed set of results.

I opened a jar of dill pickles (from the 2016 batch) which tasted sort of ok but had the consistency of porridge. Baffles me how shop-bought pickles are so crunchy.

I have a jar of pickled cauliflower which keeps challenging me to open it ("You coward, come over hear and lift this lid if you're man enough") but I haven't plucked up the courage so far.

Great fan of branston pickle, probably my fave food ever. Love piccalilli with pies and I really like sauerkraut, not tried kimchi but spicy sauerkraut sounds good to me, but what are the advantages of doing it yourself rather than just buying it?

Pickling and fermenting are not the same. I guess diy allows you to fine tune stuff to taste exactly how you want it to taste? Pretty fucking cheap and easy to do as well, all you need is a vessel, water, salt and the main course.

And vinegar if you're pickling.

Pickling and fermenting are not the same. I guess diy allows you to fine tune stuff to taste exactly how you want it to taste? Pretty fucking cheap and easy to do as well, all you need is a vessel, water, salt and the main course.

And vinegar if you're pickling.

Yea and ofc if you have an allotment it makes even more sense

Back
Top Bottom