Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone else who used to love computer games, but it's no longer interested?

I love Animal Crossing. It’s not exciting but it’s gentle and friendly and absorbing. We played it a lot during the first lockdown, it was released at the end of March I think so perfect timing.
It’s really helped me when I’ve been very anxious and the last thing I needed was tense or overly stimulating games. I needed calm and easy.
plus we get to make snowpeople soon

or not, if we don't want to, it's all cool, no pressure

Literally the most life-affirming thing this year was when it was my birthday and all the villagers on my Animal Crossing island had a party and made me a cake and gave me presents. I'd had a shit day at work and somehow got ash in my eye so it was itching and watering non stop and I hated everything except Animal Crossing.

Last edited:
These are the games I loved the most and spent thousands of hours on over the decades. I did play other people's spectrums and BBC's. And I did play at the arcades - but I didn't waste lots of time until I got some second hand amstrad thing in about 88. I played the fruit machine game endlessly. Can't remember the name... It had winner spinners! Probably less the way to my later fruit machine addiction :facepalm: :D

Then is was my Mega drive and my brother's Amiga. Street fighter 2 and Sensible soccer. Speed ball 2, Dune 2 - battle for arrakis literally made me the man I am.

Later in the 90s it was the PlayStation and wipeout 2097 - at which I was probably the best in the world. Also command and conquer red alert. We used to hook up two PlayStations and two TVs. Turn of the century was all about total war games.

I've largely skirted the world of gaming. At the moment the only game I play is Freecell just to waste a few minutes of time when I'm supposed to be working. I prefer Freecell to Solitaire now. Also in the past i did have brief flareups of a maze game called Mr Chips and a City building game called SimCity. With Sim City you begin to see the granularity of the game. If I do this then that will happen. And the fantasy of the City having any reality begins to fade. With Mr Chips once you've beaten level 142 you never need to do it again.

I've never killed anybody directly via a computer game.

Literally the most life-affirming thing this year was when it was my birthday and all the villagers on my Animal Crossing island had a party and made me a cake and gave me presents. I'd had a shit day at work and somehow got ash in my eye so it was itching and watering non stop and I hated everything except Animal Crossing.
Same, one of the best gaming moments I've had in years

7D26593B-3732-4FDE-B830-DC0554548F96.jpeg

AE746E6D-0881-48D6-BAED-DF6D7F2C0881.jpeg

These are the games I loved the most and spent thousands of hours on over the decades. I did play other people's spectrums and BBC's. And I did play at the arcades - but I didn't waste lots of time until I got some second hand amstrad thing in about 88. I played the fruit machine game endlessly. Can't remember the name... It had winner spinners! Probably less the way to my later fruit machine addiction :facepalm: :D

Then is was my Mega drive and my brother's Amiga. Street fighter 2 and Sensible soccer. Speed ball 2, Dune 2 - battle for arrakis literally made me the man I am.

Later in the 90s it was the PlayStation and wipeout 2097 - at which I was probably the best in the world. Also command and conquer red alert. We used to hook up two PlayStations and two TVs. Turn of the century was all about total war games.
You are me, I think. It makes sense. I’ve finally cracked up and am living two totally separate identities. But with the same taste in games.

I'm not really in the OP category, but i made a conscious decision a few years ago to rid myself of them and get a few other things done.

Might return to them sometime.

I don’t know how people have time to spend hours playing computer games. I can just about manage to fit in the odd game of Words with Friends.
In the same way I don’t understand how people have all that time to watch television, especially binging whole series in one week

You are me, I think. It makes sense. I’ve finally cracked up and am living two totally separate identities. But with the same taste in games.
I forgot the final chapter... I got a Wii in the 10's. Played lots of sports resort and Mario galaxy. I think that was the last game I played to the end.

I liked them around the SNES time but working for computer game TV shows after that, I got bored stupid. Haven't played much more than mine sweeper and solitaire since.

I did play some games, but the only one I can recall which took up quite a bit of time was DOOM .. I think I played it on my Amstrad 1512 .. (I think) ..

Never got into console games when my lad got a PS2/3 except a great driving game whose name escapes me.

Back
Top Bottom