Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone else who used to love computer games, but it's no longer interested?

I played Unreal Tournament for about 8 years solid, and spent thousands of hours making maps for it, but I slowly drifted away from PC games when the original Xbox came out and I got into Halo, then I discovered Need for Speed Carbon, and spent too long chasing world records. I was shit hot on it and all of the Need for Speed games. I even held a few world records, then I got bored and stopped playing on consoles for a few years, and went back to PC gaming, which I gave up about 3 years ago. I didn't touch another game until last year when I bought I bought an Xbox One, which I used for about an hour before getting bored with it, and haven't used it since.
I have GTA V, Hitman, Borderlands 2 and the Pre-Sequel, Sid Meier's Civilisation VI, and a load more I can't remember the names of installed on my PC, and I've never even opened them, never mind played them. I've just completely lost interest in games, but I do that, I go through phases. I'm now in my 3D printing phase, which I'll no doubt get bored with, eventually.

having spent the most I've ever spent on a PC with proper gaming capability I find myself endlessly playing the ASCII based Dungeon Crawl and modding (but rarely playing) Fallout New Vegas, a game thats nearly ten years old anyway.

I didn’t get into console games until my late 30s. Played the ZX Spectrum as a kid but was put off by the difficulty. Played a bit of Sonic on a mate’s Megadrive but found it boring and pointless. Never appreciated Nintendo and the Mario games as, like Sonic found them too boring/repetitive and too hard and I really hated the aesthetics of them. Mario Kart is probably my least favourite game of them all. But then i started playing Resident Evil 4 on my flatmate’s Wii and I was hooked, racing through Far Cry/GTA and the like, pulling all-nighters and going to work

Never too much into it but played a fair bit on other people's consoles. These days it's candy crush saga and wordiest on phone. And Mario Cart and some other Wii games with grand daughter. We still have my son's old wii console and games and it works fine.

When I look back, I actually lost interest in playing games at about the same time I got back into playing the violin. I wonder if playing an instrument filled that gap in my head better than playing a game did?

i got a master system off my girlfriend for my twenty first birthday. she thought i was an idiot for wanting it then was up til three taking turns at sonic the hedghog on a worknight. had an n64 and an amiga but eventually couldnt be bothered and started playing more online chess. now i dont bother at all but sometimes think about downloading something to my kindle but its all a bit confusing so i dont.

I play an awful lot less than I used to but due to time constraints rather than lack of interest.

When the games you play are nearly all rated 18, your 8 year old doesn't go to sleep until 9pm and you're not that far behind it doesn't leave a lot of time for gaming.

Also I've become too fixated on a few games (Fallout and Assassin's Creed) and am finding it hard to break out of that. I've started "The Witcher 3" which is obviously a brilliant game but I just can't get into it.

However with a new AC out and Crash Bandicoot I'm hoping my gaming mojo will return!!

Tbh I just know what I want more now, so don't waste my time on things I won't like.

I was never a massive gamer, I just found games interesting. I've always liked to be able to wander around in strange worlds and be different people and see new things. So generally I get into narrative/visual-heavy exploration type games, which usually means RPGs, or focused hardcore twitch games - I was very into Tetris on the gameboy for instance. Occasionally something combines the two in way I enjoy - Celeste, some Castlevanias, even VVVVVV - but usually I find one aspect conflicts with the other and makes it not fun any more.

I was going to say getting into game dev made a difference but if I look back, I was writing games on the BBC B as a small child where you could wander around weird places, so I don't think that's really changed anything.

Started on a Binatone Pong then Philips G7000 as a kid
Cabinets at Uni
Megadrive when started working
then 486 PC
Dreamcast,
N64
PS1
PS2
Xbox360
Wii
PS4
Switch

The last games I have fully done to death are Fallout 4 then Zelda BotW.
Recently bought Red Dead 2 - but only put a few hours into it over the summer
As an oldie, I find I am really bad these days: no twitch reactions and too lazy to persevere on puzzles when there are on-line guides available. Going for a purposeless wander round Zelda is a nice way to switch off the mind

Now I am keen to play but rarely do - through either lack of time or guilt about time wasted.

Quite fancy a PS5 when they have some decent games on it (fallout 5) - although I wouldn't cross the street to buy one if they were in stock. Once bought, it would probably mainly gather dust under the TV.

Hoping to get more involved if / when retired

I still don't know though - do you actually need a controller for games? I presume not all of them but .... good games?

whatever they may be

Well the best game is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and that doesn't use a controller. ;)

I very rarely have the enthusiasm for anything shooty, or multiplayer or really big. Get bored by those things with icons everywhere but part of the joy of games is that there are things for everybody. Some of the stuff I really love is a puzzle game like Into The Breach or Hoplite, or a game about stacking multipliers like Monster Train or a transcendental meditative adrenaline rush like Nex Machina or Nuclear Throne. Other people like these big lush RPGs or competitive shooters or whatever.

It's an industry that has changed massively over the past ten years or so, there are some really interesting things going on.

All four of my kids (and their partners even) are intoa wide variety of games but the last time I was a significant player of computer games, the height of gaming sophistication was Galaxian. Must be a generational thing

then I discovered Need for Speed Carbon, and spent too long chasing world records. I was shit hot on it and all of the Need for Speed games.

I used to love the Burnout series- especially the crash/collateral mode when you had to cause as much damage as possible from a jump or similar. It was unique. There was some relationship between Burnout & NFS.

I used to love the Burnout series- especially the crash/collateral mode when you had to cause as much damage as possible from a jump or similar. It was unique. There was some relationship between Burnout & NFS.
im in the credits for Burnout: Takedown from when I was a q/a tester , which is (to me) one of the cooler things I've managed to do

Last edited:
It’s been the opposite for me and I only really got into gaming in my late 20s. I played a little bit as a kid but the only console I had of my own was a Spectrum.

As an adult my first console was a wii and I loved it, mainly for all the Mario games.
I sold my wii and then later bought another second hand as I wanted to replay Super Mario Galaxy. We got into Red Dead and La Noire on Xbox and I really like the Lego games. My tastes are quite juvenile generally.

We’ve now got a Switch and Xbox One. We got the Xbox when they released Red Dead 2.
We go through phases where we play every spare moment, usually on games like Red Dead or Zelda on the Switch. I’d like to replay both soon.

I play more at the moment and since I got a proper laptop I've really enjoyed playing the various strategy games there. I fell out with consoles when Online seemed to become the focus. I definitely don't see it as time wasted as my life's pretty busy otherwise and I find it restful so that's important.

I do like an epic like Zelda and Skyrim, but agree they can take to long to complete at times.

I love Animal Crossing. It’s not exciting but it’s gentle and friendly and absorbing. We played it a lot during the first lockdown, it was released at the end of March I think so perfect timing.
It’s really helped me when I’ve been very anxious and the last thing I needed was tense or overly stimulating games. I needed calm and easy.

I love Animal Crossing. It’s not exciting but it’s gentle and friendly and absorbing. We played it a lot during the first lockdown, it was released at the end of March I think so perfect timing.
It’s really helped me when I’ve been very anxious and the last thing I needed was tense or overly stimulating games. I needed calm and easy.
Hmmm, what could people possibly enjoy about going to a peaceful island full of charming characters and spending their time growing trees and fishing? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom