Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

how much would a gaming pc cost if it's no more powerful than a ps5/xbx?

I thought the general deal was that consoles are cheaper than gaming PCs but they make up for that with the price of the games. Their flagship stuff is upwards of £75.

It's also depends on where in the consol life cycle we are. On release of a new consol you'd typicaly spend a lot more to get a similar setup, but this drops the longer they are out as PC GPUs drop in price/get more powerful with subsequent generations.

It's also depends on where in the consol life cycle we are. On release of a new consol you'd typicaly spend a lot more to get a similar setup, but this drops the longer they are out as PC GPUs drop in price/get more powerful with subsequent generations.
Nintendo seem to be immune to this and sell full price years later lol. Sods, does mean reselling physical copies works quite nicely when you have finished with them tho.

Nintendo seem to be immune to this and sell full price years later lol. Sods, does mean reselling physical copies works quite nicely when you have finished with them tho.

It's not quite what I meant, but yes. I was tempted by a switch, but would no way use it enough to justify the cost of games. When I had a PS4 I'd never pay full price for games, I'd always wait a bit. Nothing like a Steam sale, but it lasted me many years without worrying about upgrades, which consols do have in their favour.

It's not quite what I meant, but yes. I was tempted by a switch, but would no way use it enough to justify the cost of games. When I had a PS4 I'd never pay full price for games, I'd always wait a bit. Nothing like a Steam sale, but it lasted me many years without worrying about upgrades, which consols do have in their favour.

Yeah the upgrades thing has always been what keeps me on consoles (well that and being able to sit on the living room sofa to play.) Sod paying huge amounts for a PC only for it to be out of date six months later. Maybe the situation has improved on that though?

Mind you I've only played Elden Ring for about a year and Darks Souls 3/X-COM 2 for about three years before that and I'm happy sticking with that for the moment.

Yeah the upgrades thing has always been what keeps me on consoles (well that and being able to sit on the living room sofa to play.) Sod paying huge amounts for a PC only for it to be out of date six months later. Maybe the situation has improved on that though?

Mind you I've only played Elden Ring for about a year and Darks Souls 3/X-COM 2 for about three years before that and I'm happy sticking with that for the moment.

No you can get many years out of a PC. As it gets older, just drop the graphics down to consol settings. ;)

The PS5's GPU is meaty, but it's a few generations old. Anything that closely matches it spec-wise will be more capable. You're looking at 3060Ti/RX6700 territory, so £300-ish on Ebay. GPU prices have come down, but they're still elevated and it's this bit that makes it difficult (impossible, really) to keep the total under £500.

CPU-wise, it's wide (8 cores) but doesn't clock like modern CPUs. You could pick up an old Ryzen 3700X for not a whole lot (£100?) and it would be more powerful.
Beyond that, it's just getting the cheapest motherboard/memory/etc you can. You can get a 1TB Nvme SSD for under £40 now.

I reckon the cheapest option would be to look for a second hand Switch. Under £100 might be realistic.
I don't really fancy a handheld.

I can wait until something affordable turns up. I'm not even really opposed to digital only. I don't watch many dvd's anyway. It's just my superslow internets

Back
Top Bottom