Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone else who used to love computer games, but it's no longer interested?

Idaho

blah blah blah
I used to love them. I could happily while away hours and days on them. Why do they hold no interest for me now? If you gave me a brand new whatever with 10 of the finest, newest games, I'd be surprised if I even switched it on. It just seems like such an empty and pointless experience.

It's not that I am necessarily against pointless pastimes. I watch shit TV and even do the odd jigsaw. I just can't generate any interest in computer games.

Anyone else?

Used to now find them boring. Mostly all first-person shooters these days and was never in to them.

me and a mate bought GTA 5 last year and ended up feeling weirded out after long stretches of playing it. Sordid fantasy world.

though I may be up for the new football manager game. Whilst at the same time I know how destructively addictive it can be, plus I can’t get hold of any weeed

I built a new gaming rig when my wife was pregnant with our eldest six years ago and just never got a chance to use it. I don't have hours to burn like that anymore, I used to play Skyrim and various Total War games for ten hours at a time. Have tried but just don't get into it anymore. I tried to show my daughter Portal over lockdown but it was a bit complex for her.

Was never a huge gamer really, but after spending way too long in the late noughties playing World of Warcraft, I didn't play a single thing for about 10 years. Just picked up a Nintendo Switch earlier this year and enjoying playing games on a much more casual basis.

My wife's career revolves around video games and gaming though, so it's hard for me to avoid it now, hence me finally giving in and buying a console.

I was addicted to gaming when I had my Amiga in the 1990s (and writing games in Amos Basic as well) but haven't touched a game for ten years or more. Although I could be tempted back with Football Manager I suppose.

Had the basic games (minesweeper and the like) which hardly count as games really right back in the day. I soon decided they'd just suck away time though so I uninstalled them. Never got into shootemup type games because I'm assuming they're difficult with no controller and just a mouse.

Nearest I get really is soduku which I resisted for years but quite enjoy for pattern spotting - although I seem to have hit a plateau and never seem to improve.

Had a PS2 , have a PS4 but haven't played anything on it for a few years. Used to love the Call of Duty stuff & similar games, don't feel the urge to play atm.

I've come to the realisation that the gen (ie ps4) is probably be my last console I'll buy.
Between the kid, buying a house and saving up for a wedding, I can't afford to splurge on anything new.

That said, there are very few games left that excite me (cyberpunk being the exception), so I'm not sure what I would buy in the future anyway (cyberpunk 78, maybe).
Maybe its because I predominately play 'AAA' games more often than not, and have become massively jaded by the lack of quality there....

I used to love them. I could happily while away hours and days on them. Why do they hold no interest for me now? If you gave me a brand new whatever with 10 of the finest, newest games, I'd be surprised if I even switched it on. It just seems like such an empty and pointless experience.

It's not that I am necessarily against pointless pastimes. I watch shit TV and even do the odd jigsaw. I just can't generate any interest in computer games.

Anyone else?
Oh this is 100% me. I would have described it as my main hobby, even, up to about the age of something like 35. I've not turned a console on for 5 years though, I'd say. Just somehow... not interested any more.

I haven't lost interest as such but I have less time for them now, and some of them are so complex just to get into that I don't really play new ones. I have a few games that I've kind of had a stab at but not really got properly going with. If I do play it's normally Dark Souls 3 or X-COM2 which I've had for a few years and completed more than once.

I haven't lost interest as such but I have less time for them now, and some of them are so complex just to get into that I don't really play new ones. I have a few games that I've kind of had a stab at but not really got properly going with. If I do play it's normally Dark Souls 3 or X-COM2 which I've had for a few years and completed more than once.

This, I find myself returning to old classics and slightly more simple games than I do the next Cyberpunk 2077 these days.

I am hoping for this for my son, he is now 21 and a student but still plays WOW late into the early morning and then faux complains that he only gets up at midday.

Had the basic games (minesweeper and the like) which hardly count as games really right back in the day. I soon decided they'd just suck away time though so I uninstalled them. Never got into shootemup type games because I'm assuming they're difficult with no controller and just a mouse.

Nearest I get really is soduku which I resisted for years but quite enjoy for pattern spotting - although I seem to have hit a plateau and never seem to improve.

what is it gym folk say about hitting the wall? Gotta go through it

I still don't know though - do you actually need a controller for games? I presume not all of them but .... good games?

whatever they may be

Me, in the early 90s I used to love video games like Tetris, Mario, Sonic, had a gamegear and a megadrive, and was generally quite into it all.

But, by 1995 or whenever the playstation came out I'd basically lost interest and was more consumed by music and TV/film and the internet. I haven't seen anything that's interested me much since then. I liked Wipeout for a bit, and really liked Rez when a friend showed it to me, but never went as far as to buy an actual console. I had an xbox1 for a bit but mainly just used it for DVDs.

A few reasons for me. Have bought 2 Xbox 1s over the last few years. 1 for my elder son & the other, which I foolishly let my younger son take one from the living room into his room. When I realised that I wanted to play games, there's no longer any chance of returning it downstairs. I CBA to buy another one of this generation and there's no chance of getting the PS5/XBox Series X in the next few weeks (not sure I'd want to pay hefty prices at the moment, anyway). So, I've given up on that, but I still have PS1- PS3 & Wii to muck about with.

Never got with the idea of playing games on a PC. Seems a bit retrograde to me when there’s consoles.
I’m very specific in my tastes. Do not like racing or sports games. Do not like film adaptations. Do not like strategy or 4x games. Do not like cartoonish graphics. Do not like platforms. Only really like sandbox FPS/RPG games and only single player not online multiplayers. Do not like anything difficult or repetitive. Always play on easy with a walkthrough to hand and hate sneaking around, prefer walking down the middle with enormous firepower. More shotgun than sniper and more warrior than wizard.

Yeah, used to game into the early hours on pc. From soldier of fortune to cod4 and on. Switched to console for World at war (wii!) then xbox for MW2 up to ghosts, by which time had xbone. Played a bit of one the the battlefields (4 maybe) and then just stopped playing

Don't have any urge to play anything at all, don't play a single computer game at all, never play phone games, has no interest to me. Consoles have been given to. My daughters to use

Back
Top Bottom