Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Another Russian spy hit?

Apparently it may have been in the agent used a the Moscow theatre siege, so it's not improbable.

AFAIK the deaths from the gas at Beslan were mainly not caused by the gas itself, but by the fact that the unconscious people were lay on their backs once outside the building, and the deaths were as a result of them getting occluded airways on top of having the reduced breathing rate and depth that opioids cause.

I'd have thought fentanyl would be a shit choice of an assassination drug, as it's easy to recognize the symptoms of (and people are trained to) and the antidote to opioids is carried by every ambulance in the UK and is quickly administered and very effective.

Last edited:
Good point. I think the implication was that it was family that were off limits, not just U18's.

The don't hurt the kids line sounds like a romatisation of a murky world. My assumption is that it is possible, given his background, that be didn't keep his hands clean after his release and that consequently, beyond the Russian state itself, there are groups and individuals who might be interested in getting rid of this chap.

Rudd: “We do know more about the substance and the police will be making a further statement this afternoon in order to share some of that.”

It is an event, though, isn't it? Another possible slow and painful assassination on British soil.

it's worthy of plenty of attention. Doesnt mean I cant go on about the quacking though, in the same way I often go on about the propaganda value of things, but me using the word propaganda is not supposed to be a judgement about the underlying truth of the matter, some of the best propaganda is truth.

agents are disposable on both sides.
intelligence Officers tend to be live fairly sedate safe lives they run the agents who get paid more but may not live to collect the cash.

it's worthy of plenty of attention. Doesnt mean I cant go on about the quacking though, in the same way I often go on about the propaganda value of things, but me using the word propaganda is not supposed to be a judgement about the underlying truth of the matter, some of the best propaganda is truth.

I can see both the propaganda from the "nasty Russians,I told you so" side & the "this is what happens when you cross us" side.

I probably could see the quacking too, if I knew what it meant! :D

In this case I'm using it to encompass everything from 'patriotic' newspapers speculating about the chemical involved to Boris's oh so tough words. And associated special blends of spycraft and shrill tones.

machon was on the telly this morning given her surprisingly lucid yet unoriginal take on this- I have to agree with her on one aspect- that we ( the masses) have no idea what this bloke was up to in his private life - I would be surprised if he had cut all contact with the *Russian businessmen* side of things

Met Police: a nerve agent is the cause of the symptoms and the original two victims are believed to have been targeted specifically. One police officer is also being treated for exposure.

If it is VX, the it can lurk for hours or days, maybe the cop who is also affected got exposure as well. Awful shit
One source has claimed it is “very rare”.
One first responder reported seriously affected but other eye witnesses apparently ok(?).
Small, isolated areas of town centre cordoned off.

So one might guess not VX. Perhaps something less persistent such as a G-series; no (few?) other emergency responders/eye witnesses/bystanders reported to have symptoms(?). Or an incredibly small dose of something novel, borderline sub-lethal which could still leave victims with serious long term neurological problems if they survive. Perhaps a binary delivery if there is no assailant suffering? One of the more obscure V or G series or a pico-dose of Novichok (very high lethality might suggest that’s unlikely)? Maybe then, one of the many G/V hybrids or variants usually ignored by the military (but not the SVR) as they are awkward to weaponise but could be ‘hand’ delivered. Obviously begs lots of questions around transport, delivery and disposal of the materials used, whereabouts of related materials.

You sound like you know what you're talking about, but anyway it's all very nasty. :( Given the premise of the buzzfeed article you linked to, I expect a lot of huffing and puffing and not much more. But there again we do do live in dangerous times.

The North Korean half-brother of Kim Jong-un who was offed at an airport a few months ago was said to have been killed by VX and died within 20 minutes of being exposed. Obviously I'm no expert but judging by that and by what I remember of Saddam Hussein's use of it on the Kurd villagers, I'd have thought VX will kill you in minutes, or a few hours at most. At the end of the day it is said to be the most lethal and concentrated agent known to mankind.

But perhaps this chap and his daughter got exposed to a weakened/ defective batch.

And here come the Telegraph with [almost] a link to Trump…
Poisoned Russian spy Sergei Skripal was close to consultant who was linked to the Trump dossier
A security consultant who has worked for the company that compiled the controversial dossier on Donald Trump was close to the Russian double agent poisoned last weekend, it has been claimed.

The consultant, who The Telegraph is declining to identify, lived close to Col Skripal and is understood to have known him for some time.

I'd have thought VX will kill you in minutes, or a few hours at most.
Depends on the dose, to a lesser degree method of exposure, environmental conditions. Hand mixing a binary in the field probably results in sub-optimal and varying yields. Timings will also depend on how soon suitable antidotes are applied.
At the end of the day it is said to be the most lethal and concentrated agent known to mankind.
Supposedly surpassed by fourth generation agents (Foliant A-series).

Back
Top Bottom