Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anker Soundcore Life Q20 - fantastic noise cancelling headphones for around £40-£50

editor

hiraethified
Given that I'm finding myself increasingly on long journeys in cars, vans, planes and trains and struggling to relax, I thought I'd invest in some active noise cancelling headphones for the long trips.

The Anker Soundcore Life Q20 Hybrid Active Noise Cancelling Headphones have picked up fantastic reviews and I can see why - they're bloody amazing value. Best of all, of the battery life is incredible - over 30 hours with ANC and if the thing runs flat, just pop in the cable and it works as a wired headset.

715kwKV9uML._SL1500_.jpg

Soundcore’s portable Life Q20 scores top marks when it comes to its lengthy battery life, not to mention its quick charging capabilities. When you consider the impressive enough sound specs of this model, the price/performance ratio here is rather excellent. The noise-cancelling credentials are also worth getting excited about, with the technology particularly successful in minimising low-frequency sources.

https://www.headphonecheck.com/test/soundcore-life-q20-von-anker/

Review: Anker’s Soundcore Life Q20 headphones are perfect entry-level ANC cans

Anker Soundcore Life Q20 Hybrid Active Noise Cancelling Headphones Review – Affordable, comfortable and excellent noise cancelling

I am in the market for some noise cancelling headphones. However, one crucial feature for me is the ability to switch on a mode to let ambient sound in without removing the headphones. There seem to be different terms used for this (transparency mode, ambient mode.. etc) and I'm yet to see a comprehensive list of models which have this to compare, but this is certainly a feature of the Bose 700 headphones or the Airpods Pro.

I am in the market for some noise cancelling headphones. However, one crucial feature for me is the ability to switch on a mode to let ambient sound in without removing the headphones. There seem to be different terms used for this (transparency mode, ambient mode.. etc) and I'm yet to see a comprehensive list of models which have this to compare, but this is certainly a feature of the Bose 700 headphones or the Airpods Pro.
The Bose's are outrageously expensive. The equally expensive Sony ones seem to get the biggest vote from reviewers, but I'm more than happy with my £38 Anker pair!

A colleague has those Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones and they are remarkable, including that ambient bypass (just a swipe on the exterior of one of the earpieces) which is pretty amazing. But they are pricey. I think one of the phone companies offered them as a joining gift so you can see plenty on Ebay, you might be lucky and get a pair for a good price. Oh and there is a new model coming out in 2020 so there might be a general price drop on the WH-1000XM3.

I have problems with sound sensitivity/processing and I bought some of the Sennheiser HD 4.5 for a pretty good price. They are ok but I wish I had bought the Sony. I wish had bought or at least been able to try something like these Anker ones. I think I was just wary of cheaper models.

I also bought some AKG N20NC in-ear ones from a Groupon deal for £30 a couple of months back. Older model but the n/c works pretty well, especially on the lower end of the spectrum, travel noise such as bus and train is wiped out. Higher noise such as talking seems to take longer but is helpfully reduced. The sound is good and they were a great price ($200 direct from US site, they don't seem to be marketed across here, seen some varying from £75-£150). I read they can be susceptible to the wires getting damaged but I've pre-empted with some sugru (also used it to make the ear buds a molded fit).

Got a pair off mrs maomao for xmas and they're great headphones but the noise cancellation isn't all that. Good at low hums and engine noises. Not great at TV noises and chatter. Still great for the (reduced) price though.

That's what I bought them for! I'm going to be touring a lot next year so anything that increases the chance of a nap - if only by ten minutes - is money well spent!
I'm misophonic so they kill all my coping sounds (I love white/brown noise, the sound is my favourite thing about flying) and do little for my triggers but was pretty impressive walking alongside the A12 today and all the traffic noise disappearing at the push of a button.

I've been staring at both the Bose 700's and the Sony ones for a week after trying my daughter's ANC headphones. A week of thinking that I can indeed spend 300 quid on headphones. Until I admitted that I absolutely cannot and ordered the Anker ones for almost a tenth of the price. Arrive tomorrow. Thanks for the voucher heads up!

These sound like a good deal but if you can cope with used I bought two pair of Bose QC25s for me and the missus for £82/pair in CEX before Christmas. Great value but need a wire. You can use them without the wire for just noise cancellation though if you like.

These sound like a good deal but if you can cope with used I bought two pair of Bose QC25s for me and the missus for £82/pair in CEX before Christmas. Great value but need a wire. You can use them without the wire for just noise cancellation though if you like.
I'd worry about the deteriorated battery life on s/hand headphones.

Bought a pair of these today after reading this thread, love them, cheers boss man.

My wife was going to buy me a pair of the Sony ones for Christmas but I was ill so we never went to get them, I’m so glad cos we’ve saved ourselves 200+ notes. I only wanted them for audio books travelling to and from work.

Bought a pair of these today after reading this thread, love them, cheers boss man.

My wife was going to buy me a pair of the Sony ones for Christmas but I was ill so we never went to get them, I’m so glad cos we’ve saved ourselves 200+ notes. I only wanted them for audio books travelling to and from work.
The sound quality - and build - is ridiculously good for the price, innit?

Anyone else getting a load of popping noise? Similar to the sound you get when plugging a cable into a live amplifier.

Mainly when out and about. Bus. Walking,etc

I did once mate, whilst walking listening to an audio book, just thought it was where I had my phone stored (jacket pocket).

I switched the NC off and used without for a few sessions, have been using the NC again y/day and today and haven’t had the problem.

What I do find annoying is occasionally I hear the hinge creaking.

Have moved office snd in the market for noise cancelling ones as there is a lot of bickering in this office. I want airpod pros as I'll use them while on the train too, however want to wait until I find a deal for £200. So at £37 thanks for the heads up Throbbing Angel I'll use these as interims, and maybe not even bother with the Airpod Pros if they do the business.

No worries. Amazon's returns are seamless in my experience so if they don't meet your expectations whizz them back.

They are pretty good for the money though. Impressed me and a few others on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom