Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Laptop life span?

Based on personal experience Dell makes solid long lasting machines though HP and Acer aren't too bad
Mrs Q has a Surface Pro and it has been a right pain, the screen has had to be replaced twice

Did she get the phantom touches on the screen? That happened with mine. Naturally was just out of warranty. It still functions if you turn touch screen off (but the touch screen is the entire purpose of it!). Won’t be buying Microsoft again.

Did she get the phantom touches on the screen? That happened with mine. Naturally was just out of warranty. It still functions if you turn touch screen off (but the touch screen is the entire purpose of it!). Won’t be buying Microsoft again.
Yes she did exactly the same fucking problem, the first time it was within warranty, the 2nd it cost 200+ notes to get it fixed

i have a laptop as backup device / for use when i'm away, so not as if i'm using it all the time, but i've never bought a new laptop - either second hand reconditioned, or one that a friend gave me as he wanted something newer.

batteries on some have given up after a few years, but none of the laptops have actually died on me, just got increasingly obsolete (if anyone wants an xp thinkpad, it's on the 'recycle your tat' forum...)

Yes she did exactly the same fucking problem, the first time it was within warranty, the 2nd it cost 200+ notes to get it fixed

I can’t believe they’re legally allowed to sell stuff when they know there’s an issue with the hardware. It’s been happening for years as I discovered when I researched possible solutions. That was £3k basically down the drain. Won’t be falling for that one again!

Yeah they weren’t in active service for staff any longer. We use them for training clients. Even the power supply was a massive chunk. Our current work laptops, lenovo are pretty good. Very light. Although I use an external keyboard as can’t get on with the built in laptop one.

I always use external keyboard and mouse for laptops. Much easier.

i have a laptop as backup device / for use when i'm away, so not as if i'm using it all the time, but i've never bought a new laptop - either second hand reconditioned, or one that a friend gave me as he wanted something newer.

batteries on some have given up after a few years, but none of the laptops have actually died on me, just got increasingly obsolete (if anyone wants an xp thinkpad, it's on the 'recycle your tat' forum...)
We've got a recycled tat, she's called Effie, a fugitive from next door. :)

You need a mouse if you don’t want to use the daft swipe thing, but a keyboard?

The reaching over the bottom part of the laptop irritates me irrationally. I've been on a lifetime hunt for a laptop that doesn't have the trackpad at the front, so the keys are at the front. One of my many oddities. :)

Last edited:
The reaching over the bottom part of the laptop irritates me irrationally. I've bee on a lifetime hunt for a laptop that doesn't have the trackpad at the front, so the keys are at the front. One of my many oddities. :)

That makes sense, some are better than others but I guess none are ideal.

I got my kids Lenovo laptops in March last year when school went online.

3 laptops and not one of them has lasted 18 months. One broke just before the 1 year warranty ended and the others have gone since.

And yet my laptop has been going strong for 10 years.

I got my kids Lenovo laptops in March last year when school went online.

3 laptops and not one of them has lasted 18 months. One broke just before the 1 year warranty ended and the others have gone since.

And yet my laptop has been going strong for 10 years.
I’ve bought nothing but Lenovo Yoga since they were launched, but I buy a high spec and use it for design work (my most recent one was £1250). Not one of them has broken or developed any kind of fault- I’ve only had to upgrade because the latest version of creative cloud is unsupported. Before that I bought Sony, but they did break. I like to get 5 years out of a laptop lets see how long this one lasts.

Still rocking a 2013 MacBook pro here in clamshell mode with an external monitor. Replaced both fans myself using a guide from iFixit since one was deteriorating and making more noise and also blew out years worth of a dust and fluff accumulation. Actually improved its performance since the CPU must have been throttling itself as it was getting too hot with the poor performance of the old internal fans.

I'm four iterations of the OS back though, on Mojave and can only go one more to Catalina if I wanted unless I want to delve into the tinkering world the OpenCore Legacy Patcher where you apparently can load the most recent macOS on supposedly (according to Apple) unsupported hardware.

Last edited:
Oh no. I bought a Surface Pro a few months ago. Thought the touch screen was weird, given it's a laptop. (I previously had an Acer Switch which was a laptop that you could detach keyboard from and use as a tablet, so that touch screen made sense.) I think the only thing I used it for so far is to digitally sign a document, which I otherwise would have typed my name in.

I have a laptop for work but try and use a supplied desk top set up plugged into a network if the fuckers provide

My 3 year old 300quid HP doesn’t seem to have the steam power to do much when I have multiple stuff open and crashes a fair bit.

I used an external Tb ssd storage device that cost the same price as the. Laptop
Considering buying a refurbished more powerful laptop but don’t know where to start

The average age of the laptops I use is around 5 years old. The one I've just replaced was a 2013 one (I got it in 2019), and it really was too slow and incapable. FWIW, that one spent the first few years of its life in a cupboard, so it's not so much about deterioration and care, just age and specification.

The main reason I end up replacing laptops is because they have inadequate memory, and no facility to install an adequate amount.

Blimey. They’ve come down a lot then as this one is £100

Check out the price on the 4Tb though :D

I’m still slightly paranoid that the ssd will fail.

I’ve got six hard drives with 18 years of work shit and a personal stuff on them sat in the top drawer waiting for the inevitable

Change mine every three years, things start to go wonky with them around then and mine needs to be tip-top for my work, it also goes everywhere with me so gets knocked about a fair bit, especially when falling off my bike…

Back
Top Bottom