Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Animals during this crisis

Petcha

I know there's a massive human cost, in all senses, to this thing. But I wonder how animal charities are going to survive. The RSPCA etc. How the hell are they gonna survive? Do any of the government's new policies have anything in place for charities in general actually?

I can't be the only one here who actually prefers animals to humans (in most cases). So I'll be popping some money to the dog's trust, plus some smaller ones I know.

Same with many charities I guess. If you have a standing order that will continue, my RNLI one will carry on as usual, but I normally bung around £20 a month in change in to whatever box is on the bar in the pub, RSPB in my local. Of course that’s no longer happening, nor is street collecting.

Animal charities probably doing a lot better than human ones. human ones all over the world are screwed right now, no travel no group activities it’s really bad.

Some zoos and sanctuaries / rescues are having problems getting supplies, not just funds ...

There has been some coverage on the beeb about it recently. I recall an image of a lemur trying out watermelon for the first time.

I've sent a small donation to the place we saved Ben from ...

There are always people around willing and able to send money to animal charities.
i gather that Battersea cats and dogs home has closed it's doors to new admissions for the first time ever. I sadly imagine that there many animals be abused and/or being made homeless at the moment. :(

Saw a really mangy fox in the garden earlier, hardly any hair on it. Where foxes could rely on discarded takeaways and that there's now considerably less food for them. Wonder how they'll cope
I saw a fox today and wondered the same. TBF it looked okay for now - not skinny, and apparently healthy. There is one near us that is/was verging on the foxy version of morbid obesity so hopefully it isn't that one.

I am very much in two minds about putting food down for them but will see how they appear to be coping.

Saw a really mangy fox in the garden earlier, hardly any hair on it. Where foxes could rely on discarded takeaways and that there's now considerably less food for them. Wonder how they'll cope

If it's got mange (which is common in foxes) it isn't helped or hindered by whether there are takeaways available to them, it's caused by mites. Probably if you are seeing foxes with mange now it most likely means that whoever is putting down food for them with medication to treat it in your local area is no longer able to get the medication (which is probably through a charity or wildlife group)

People who are having their income disrupted may well cancel DDs to charities, animal or otherwise. Once they are cancelled many wont pick up again once things settle. Attracting and keeping donors post 2008 has been hard enough without this.

it most likely means that whoever is putting down food for them with medication to treat it in your local area is no longer able to get the medication (which is probably through a charity or wildlife group)
national fox welfare society can post the medication out - nothing to say they have stopped due to the current situation, but nothing to say they haven't

I know there's a massive human cost, in all senses, to this thing. But I wonder how animal charities are going to survive. The RSPCA etc. How the hell are they gonna survive? Do any of the government's new policies have anything in place for charities in general actually?

I can't be the only one here who actually prefers animals to humans (in most cases). So I'll be popping some money to the dog's trust, plus some smaller ones I know.

Dog's trust are :cool:

I've done my third-party-fire-and-theft dog insurance with them. A million pound cover included in membership, I took it up after fully comprehensive became ludicrously expensive for my (13-year old) collie.

Back
Top Bottom