Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angels

Remember Dogma*? I really liked it in that stoned 90s Jay & Silent Bob type of way. Good script in parts. Great angel action from Affleck & Damon.

Affleck smiting:

NV3y.gif

*(Keith Smith's Dogma is a comic theological road movie about two renegade angels (Matt Damon, Ben Affleck), permanently exiled by God to Wisconsin, who discover that they have the opportunity to re-enter Heaven through a dogmatic loophole offered by a New Jersey church. The trouble is that their return would challenge the Creator's infallibility, thus bringing life on Earth to an end.

So a permanently exasperated seraph (Alan Rickman) charges a lapsed Catholic working at an abortion clinic (Linda Fiorentino) with the task of deflecting them. She and the angels meet a variety of emissaries from Heaven and Hell, including the Thirteenth Apostle (rejected by the Evangelists because he's black) and God Herself in the form of Alanis Morissette.)

Death (angel of), Michael and Gabriel. Archangels. The heavy hitters. Mike there is the slayer of satan in his dragon form, we all know AofD from such hits as 'the firstborn of egypt' and 'sodom and gommorah'. Gabriel is the messenger. The host of course who sang while shepherds washed their socks. Thrones, serpahim, etc, no good lore about them as I can recall. Nephilim (not fields of), don't remember their deal except for the obvious one but maybe theres more to be read of them in the apocrypha. As for guardian angels, well thats up there with thanking jesus for a parking space, which I have seen done in sincerity.
There was that fella who touched Jacob's thigh as well:

On that night, he arose and took his two wives, his two maidservants, and his eleven sons, and he crossed over the Jabbok ford.
He took them and sent them over the river, and he sent over that which was his.
Jacob was left to his lonesome. A man wrestled with him until the break of dawn.
He saw that he was powerless against him. He struck the socket of his thigh, and the socket of Jacob's thigh was dislocated in his struggle with him.
He said, "Release me, for dawn is broken!" He said, "I will not release you, except if you bless me!"
He said to him, "What is your name?" He said, "Jacob."
He said, "Jacob will not be said as your name anymore, but Israel, for you struggled with God and with men, and you are capable!"
Jacob asked, and said, "Now, reveal your name!" He said, "Why is this, you ask for my name?" He blessed him there.
Jacob called the name of the place Peniel, "for I have seen God face-to-face, and my soul survives."
The sun shone on him when he passed Penuel, and he was limping over his thigh.
Verily, to this day the Israelites do not eat the 'forgotten sinew', which is over the socket of the thigh, for he struck in the socket of Jacob's thigh, in the forgotten sinew.

There is a painting by Klee called Angelus Novus. An angel is depicted there who looks as though he were about to distance himself from something which he is staring at. His eyes are opened wide, his mouth stands open and his wings are outstretched. The Angel of History must look just so. His face is turned towards the past. Where we see the appearance of a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe, which unceasingly piles rubble on top of rubble and hurls it before his feet. He would like to pause for a moment so fair, to awaken the dead and to piece together what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise, it has caught itself up in his wings and is so strong that the Angel can no longer close them. The storm drives him irresistibly into the future, to which his back is turned, while the rubble-heap before him grows sky-high. That which we call progress, is this storm.

I'll let Professor Marcelo Gleiser answer for me

I have a deep ....belief in humility. I believe we should take a much humbler approach to knowledge, in the sense that if you look carefully at the way science works, you’ll see that yes, it is wonderful — magnificent! — but it has limits. And we have to understand and respect those limits. And by doing that, by understanding how science advances, science really becomes a deeply spiritual conversation with the mysterious, about all the things we don’t know. So that’s one answer to your question. And that has nothing to do with organized religion, obviously, but it does inform my position against atheism...

Atheism Is Inconsistent with the Scientific Method, Prizewinning Physicist Says
...the limits of science, the value of humility and the irrationality of nonbelief

In other words, we can't have any knowledge of things that pass all understanding.

Rather different than parroting the official line of a particular church, which seems to be only too eager to explain its unevidenced fairy stories in humorous detail.

In other words, we can't have any knowledge of things that pass all understanding.

Rather different than parroting the official line of a particular church, which seems to be only too eager to explain its unevidenced fairy stories in humorous detail.
I interpret it as "there are real things beyond our ability to understand in a conventional way"

This type of interpretation of the world requires humility to grasp..

There may be things beyond our understanding. What are they? Fuck knows, because by definition they're beyond our understanding.

You, meanwhile, know all about them, because you have a hotline to the Big Kahuna, courtesy of the traditions of a church you believe in for no better reason than that you were spawned into it. You are blessed beyond compare.

Back
Top Bottom