Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angels

Well, I know what I saw.
Proof of the kind you seek on these type of subjects is difficult to provide that will satisfy deeply cynical skeptics.

I raised a topic for discussion. How seriously it is taken is really not for me to decide...

People in all jurisdictions, especially youngsters, like to provide stupid answers when responding to online polls.

All we can conclude from this is that YouGov isn’t reliable.
Here's another set of stats for you

Responses to four conspiracy or science statements, by generation of respondent

1727878827826.png

The temp agency that Evil American Megacorp used was called Office Angels however all the ones I met appeared to be human including Eldest Q who I am confident is human despite her teenage years giving us good cause to suspect she might have actually been a demon.
Perhaps Office Angels should be prosecuted under the Trade Descriptions Act.

I’ve had at least one experience with angels I’ll share

One snowy, icy night I was driving home

I was driving just a little too fast for conditions, lost steering control and slid off the road

The car was still moving fast with no braking power due to the ice
There was nothing ahead of me except for one tree which without doubt I was going to hit at high speed

I saw a giant hand through the windshield directly ahead of me. The car stopped , I backed up got back on the road

I believe that was the hand of an Angel that stopped my car
How do you know it wasn't the god Vishnu? Or a demon? Perhaps you are kept on earth to plague us.

And when people do hit trees in their cars and die, why didn't they get saved? Was there no angel nearby? Or do they matter less?

How do you know it wasn't the god Vishnu? Or a demon? Perhaps you are kept on earth to plague us.

And when people do hit trees in their cars and die, why didn't they get saved? Was there no angel nearby? Or do they matter less?
Good questions. I'm sure I've no answers that will satisfy you or any cynic

I’ve had at least one experience with angels I’ll share

One snowy, icy night I was driving home

I was driving just a little too fast for conditions, lost steering control and slid off the road

The car was still moving fast with no braking power due to the ice
There was nothing ahead of me except for one tree which without doubt I was going to hit at high speed

I saw a giant hand through the windshield directly ahead of me. The car stopped , I backed up got back on the road

I believe that was the hand of an Angel that stopped my car

Sounds like an interesting trip, was it acid or shrooms?

“Eat a goose on Michaelmas Day,
Want not for money all the year”.

Michaelmas (Sep 29) is a long celebrated British tradition

The familiar Guardian Angel Prayer that many of us have known since childhood also has British origins

Oct. 2
  • Many historians consider the ancient British writer, Reginald of Canterbury, to have written the classic prayer, Angel of God. In 1670, Pope Clement X granted an official feast day, Oct. 2, to honor the Guardian Angels.

Here's another set of stats for you

Responses to four conspiracy or science statements, by generation of respondent

View attachment 445026

Hmm, would still like to see global comparators. Yes, they are perturbingly religious, and it’s astonishing how many of them want to vote for Trump, but I’d still be a bit wary of concluding that Americans are significantly more credulous than your average Earthling.

I wonder why bcuster starts these discussions on a board where most people are just going to take the piss.

Maybe they think that someone is going to say that they've found his arguments persuasive, and will embrace the true church. More likely, he knows the reception they will receive, which will allow him to bask in his persecution.
He’s a staunch anti-papist fifth-columnist aiming to discredit Catholicism by posing as a credulous lunatic

Hmm, would still like to see global comparators. Yes, they are perturbingly religious, and it’s astonishing how many of them want to vote for Trump, but I’d still be a bit wary of concluding that Americans are significantly more credulous than your average Earthling.
Here's a Gallup survey.
Seventy-four percent of Americans said they believe in God, while 69 percent said they believe in angels and 67 percent said they believe in heaven, the poll found. Slightly smaller shares — 59 percent and 58 percent — said they believe in hell and the devil.
It's not all bad though:

Americans’ belief in God, the devil and other spiritual entities has fallen to a new low, according to a Gallup poll released on Thursday.

Belief in all five spiritual entities has fallen between 3-5 points since 2016, the last time that Gallup polled Americans on the topic.

Since the pollster first began collecting survey data on the subject more than two decades ago, belief in God and heaven has dropped 16 points, while belief in hell has fallen 12 points and belief in the devil and angels has decreased by 10 points.

So you admit it's all down to personal woo woo belief and has absolutely zero grounding in any credible science?
I'll let Professor Marcelo Gleiser answer for me

I have a deep ....belief in humility. I believe we should take a much humbler approach to knowledge, in the sense that if you look carefully at the way science works, you’ll see that yes, it is wonderful — magnificent! — but it has limits. And we have to understand and respect those limits. And by doing that, by understanding how science advances, science really becomes a deeply spiritual conversation with the mysterious, about all the things we don’t know. So that’s one answer to your question. And that has nothing to do with organized religion, obviously, but it does inform my position against atheism...

Atheism Is Inconsistent with the Scientific Method, Prizewinning Physicist Says
...the limits of science, the value of humility and the irrationality of nonbelief

Last edited:
I'll let Professor Marcelo Gleiser answer for me

I have a deep ....belief in humility. I believe we should take a much humbler approach to knowledge, in the sense that if you look carefully at the way science works, you’ll see that yes, it is wonderful — magnificent! — but it has limits. And we have to understand and respect those limits. And by doing that, by understanding how science advances, science really becomes a deeply spiritual conversation with the mysterious, about all the things we don’t know. So that’s one answer to your question. And that has nothing to do with organized religion, obviously, but it does inform my position against atheism...

Atheism Is Inconsistent with the Scientific Method, Prizewinning Physicist Says
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/atheism-is-inconsistent-with-th
Does he say angels exist or not?

No, not in this piece; the article is an interview and he wasn't asked about the subject. He does speak about humility and respecting the limits of the scientific method

I had a very bad motorcycle accident a number of years back. Due to what I saw and felt whilst being catapulted through the air made it impossible for me not to believe in angels.....don't ask me to explain because I really can't, it was unexplainable, just beautiful and calming in a very stressful situation.
I am now not afraid of dying.

I know people will take the piss....I really don't care. I know :)

Back
Top Bottom