Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane becomes arty community space run by Brick Box

You can't work out the difference between the purpose of a mural and a poster?

I recommend a course in basic art and graphics, and recommend you refrain from posting up any more clueless nonsense in the meantime.

Interesting post from someone concerned about outreach and engagement. Formal "art and graphics" training required before I am permitted to take part in the discourse.

It's an art piece, I understand passersby can get involved. Hopefully it'll be a good addition rather than an eyesore. I suppose it's like all the public art in Brixton - there's the good, the bad and the ugly.

I just walked past and thought it's basically just mediocre. Whether it's better or worse than, say, the very similar Will Self thing in the market, I'm not sure.

I'm sure I'll have a more valid opinion once I've completed a course in basic art and graphics though.

Interesting post from someone concerned about outreach and engagement. Formal "art and graphics" training required before I am permitted to take part in the discourse.
I'm just trying to stop you making a total arse of yourself here but - hey! - it's a free world, so feel free to keep on posting clueless shite in your desperate quest to score Big Points.

I walked past it last night. Quite like it. Looks like they've got passersby to just add their own shit to it, one of which was along the lines of 'im sick of newcomers coming in' :D

I just walked past and thought it's basically just mediocre. Whether it's better or worse than, say, the very similar Will Self thing in the market, I'm not sure.

I'm sure I'll have a more valid opinion once I've completed a course in basic art and graphics though.

I'm not sure whether I like the Will self piece. It probably got funding cos it had his support.

It just seems gloriously pointless and feels more like an advert for something or another.

I feel public art should look nice (pretty, colourful, curious shapes, whatever). The Will Self box just looks boring. It doesn't add anything to that corner. Would have rather seen more foxes and cherries (however they cost 28k which could have repaired a couple of Brixton murals... :D)

Not sure but I'm pretty sure I recall reading that he funded them himself.
Yep. No public money required and at least the artwork is accessible by anyone.

Have to say I feel a tiny bit miffed that I haven't even received an acknowledgement from Brick Box after sending them the poster designs two days ago. I worked hard on those.

Not sure but I'm pretty sure I recall reading that he funded them himself.

He might well have done, although there was a big pot of art funding from which the heron, the foxes and cherries, and at least part of the funding for his thing came from iirc.

I don't much like the Will Self one or the heron. But I *heart* the foxes and cherries. Which is just as well given I have pretty much the best view in Brixton of it :D

He might well have done, although there was a big pot of art funding from which the heron, the foxes and cherries, and at least part of the funding for his thing came from iirc.

I don't much like the Will Self one or the heron. But I *heart* the foxes and cherries. Which is just as well given I have pretty much the best view in Brixton of it :D
Agree the foxes and cherries are ace. The heron has grown on me and I'm quite fond of it now. The Will Self thing is an interesting idea but only really worthy of temporary installation imo. But then you can't love everything.

It's an "idea" that's been totally done to death in countless different instances.
I'm sure it is not the first of its kind but I have never seen one before.
It would be great to combine it with a screen and voice recognition so that it could evolve on a daily basis.

I like the heron. If I didn't read about them on here I would never have noticed the fox and cherries and I bet most people who pass don't notice them either.

I hope that gaudy graffiti isn't going to stay up long. It really does look rubbish, even if the idea behind it was laudable enough.

Back
Top Bottom